Spartans Home

Announcing: Sparta Tactical Domination Nights: UPDATED

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

I haven't been available very often for gaming on Friday evenings recently so I dropped in for my first session last night and pretty quickly wished I hadn't . The comms was spiky to say the least (I didn't help by transmitting when I first joined, apologies for that) and my inexperience in the game left me not really knowing what was expected of me and the general atmosphere left me unwilling to ask for advice. I dropped out for the simpler and more immediate gratification of some COD4. I think if I do intend to join in future nights of this kind I really need to put a good few hours in beforehand learning the fundamentals of ARMA2 so I don't feel as clueless.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been available very often for gaming on Friday evenings recently so I dropped in for my first session last night and pretty quickly wished I hadn't . The comms was spiky to say the least (I didn't help by transmitting when I first joined, apologies for that) and my inexperience in the game left me not really knowing what was expected of me and the general atmosphere left me unwilling to ask for advice. I dropped out for the simpler and more immediate gratification of some COD4. I think if I do intend to join in future nights of this kind I really need to put a good few hours in beforehand learning the fundamentals of ARMA2 so I don't feel as clueless.

There is a bit of a learning curve to ArmA2 and it is realistic. We all know it. And keep in mind that everyone here is very willing to answer questions and help each other grow as players. It only serves to do so given the fact that everyone wants to finish the mission and enjoy doing it.

Hope to see you on again soon.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

yeh TP - personally, I'd be happy to pull back and give advice on the game if you need it to work out whats going on - so I'll look out for you in the server. I could have given up on Arma2 when I first started playing bcoz it does feel a bit different and theres a lot to take in - but once you get it it's tasty!

Back on Topic - I don't think we're far away from getting it sorted - just need to enforce the comms and team discipline - I think it will get there soon. Just need to shout down the line if you are commanding to pull the strays back in line.

Edited by Lightspeed

In that case mate shout out one time and I (or someone else) will drag u outa channel and get you sorted, asking for help is no prob we just can't hog comms when doing so.

This goes for anyone that needs help not just TP :D

I suppose it's a good thing I wasn't there on Friday from all reports, but I do plan on it tomorrow evening, if you're still taking in the non-sparta crowd.

Whay do say that bud, we are very critical so that we may improve, actually I enjoyed myelf and you would do fine. Of course non Sparta are welcome.

Its tough for people who havent played much arma 2 to get up the learning curve, but we will help them.

You guys are going to be the death of me.

I girded myself for an evenings entertainment only to experience the most bizarre TS failure in our existence. Of course, we have a back up TS just for such emergencies and I should have been able to seemlessly move from one to the other, sadly, hving never used it I couldnt remember the password etc.

It was massive fail and we switched the game back to normal mode. I was so disappointed.

But Phisher assured me people would come back, so I set up a seperate test server to run the tac dom with a password and a small group of us joined it.

We developed simple one pronged plan but used recon to find inserts and d30 batteries etc, we took a bit of a kicking and had to change our approach a couple of times but in the end we made it .

It wasnt much fun for the JIP guys as the had to wait by the insertion choppers, but on the whole everyone was patient.

We took 4 hours or so to take that town, I only realised when I looked at the time 0200! People have been telling me that Tac dom quickly deterirates around this time, so I thought I wozuld stay for one more mission moved to seperate comms. The plan was misundertood which increased the casualties but still allowed a seperate small team insertion, so worked. 0400. So I thought lets try one and try to get the plan right. This plan worked much better although not perfectly, 0530.

Went to bed

0830 My dad telephones me to tell me his PC screen is no longer working.

Yesterday we played with

no MHQ

veteran mode

Medic only to revive

Apart from one person blowing up the tower (had to be way out of position) without orders, the game play was pretty good and yet again I enjoyed myelf.

Zenos plan in a nutshell

Alpha squad - Stand off draw enemy to your killing field

big squad with at least 3 MG nests 3 AT and snipers, moves to an open space facing the target town in a line,

Mortar hits D30s if spotted

MG nest strafe the town

Enemy approach via the killing field

AT destroys all armour (coordinated for tanks)

Snipers and MG nests deal with infantry

In general the town goes active and enemy is drawn to Alpha

Bravo squad - stealth squad responible for destroying the tower.

Approaches target town independently, observes town and marks map for mortars.

When Alpha engages Bravo moves to the radio tower avoiding trouble.

Bravo blow the tower and retreats, goes firm, then approaches Alpha to help in town clean up.

There is a bit more to it than that but the plan is simple.

We did nothing fancy on comms but coped ok.

Squad cohesion was not bad, but I hope we can improve with everyone knowing what is expected of them when I command.

PS I hear my 2 consecutive chopper crash were the source of some titters. Heads will Roll, lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeno - simple by design.

OK well i thought it was ok too but still not quite there - suggested improvements.

1. Although it is more tactical I think with all these new ppl it might be better to keep running with the green diamonds showing so you know where your team is at. In the future when 99% know the score then pull back the help - but I think diamonds are an aid without being too novice.

2. Comms much better I thought - much better. 100% improvement since last time so well on the way.

3. I still think we need a format at the end of a town which is full-proof and we ingrain it into every player.

- Head to FARP.

- Select Commander.

- Commander selects team leaders.

- Team Leader Alpha gets chopper 1 everytime! Team Leader Bravo gets chopper 2 everytime! Charlie gets Chopper 3 or Chopper 2 as well.

- Team Leader creates his own team through Team Status and all his team members join his channel.

- Commander sends one medic to each chopper.

- Commander tells which class to get into which chopper.

- At the end of distributing required classes to chopper he can then tell the other players to change class by doing the abort to class selection lobby then doing a teleport back to FARP and jumping in appropriate chopper.

- All ammo re-arming should take place at FARP = I would suggest when you are sent to chopper you can go and re-arm then get in chopper. Don't mess around, run around, roll around, or shoot - just reload and sit in chopper. (Commander has enough to think about without boneheads distracting him.)

- Finally, Commander explains the mission plan and sets waypoints on map then everyone in the choppers know what is happening and heading straight to objective.

- Team Leaders control their team from this point and communicate with Commander.

My two cents.

Edited by Lightspeed~SPARTA~

Good games tonight guys. I want to apologize for my horrible flying I did towards the end of my night. I'd like to think it was because I was tired, but i know it's because I was rusty, lol. Have a good one all.

Sorry Durka, my system was overheating and locking up. It read 77 deg when I got back in so I know it was much hotter before the crash.

How did it go after the second insert or were you mainly playing catch up to bravo?

Besides terrain and location, why do you think alpha team lost the initiative and had to reinsert?