Spartans Home

GRIN has closed down (makers of GRAW)

GRIN Officially Closes Down

http://www.gametrailers.com/news/grin-offi...loses-down/1250

IPB Image

There are certainly no smiles for the people at GRIN today as the Swedish video game developer has been forced to close its doors after 12 years of developing due to financial difficulties. In a letter posted on their official site, Bo and Ulf Andersson write that ?too many publishers have been delaying their payments, causing an unbearable cash flow situation.?

GRIN was the developer of the highly popular Tom Clancy?s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2 for the PC. They are also credited to developing Bionic Commando Rearmed, Wanted: Weapons of Fate, the next-gen Bionic Commando and Terminator Salvation among others.

Despite the success of GRAW 1 & 2 along with the success of Bionic Commando Rearmed, the last three games stated above were released to a lukewarm reception by both critics and fans and sales were not very high. Sadly, GRIN joins a growing list of developers who have been shut down due to the current turbulent economic times. We wish the best of luck to all those at GRIN and hope that their talent finds its way to other game developers.

Source

I think we are going to see some significant changes to the PC gaming industry over the next couple of years.

To compete with next-gen consoles, PC games will have to take a lot more advantage of user created content like mods, missions, content packs. This has always been a part of most major shooter titles, to some degree, but I think we will start seeing a shift towards more robust editor programs included with games... easier to use, easier to learn, with enough flexibility that advanced scripters can churn out high quality content and neophytes can crank out playable but simple content. ArmA2's editor is a step in that direction, but could sitll be easier to use.

Sad to see a big name go down like that due to economic conditions, but GRIN has struggled with less than stellar projects over the last couple of years. Unless you have a fanbase already, your game must be damned good to make any money these days.

GRAW was, at best, playable. GRAW2 was purty but sucked. Alot of people want to put the blame on UBi for killing that potential franchise, but GRIN most definately played their part in it as well. Remember how insanely hard it was to mod that engine compared to OGR? Sad to see people lose their jobs, but I can't say I'm not surprised, and I hope future companies will heed the warning signs.

If it wasn't for Viiiper putting in the time and effort to make those maps, that game would've been put on a shelf long before it did. How long was it before people actually started modding GRAW2? I'm not sure, but I know it took much much longer than it should've. When you build a game for the PC, espically for multiplayer, you gotta understand the notion of replayability. GRIN just couldn't get the concept.

Were any of the maps released outside of Sparta? Might have to go hunt some down and have a look...:)

They are all MP maps and they were soo much fun, I'm sure someone has them but you would have to host yourself, to set up a dedi is not a 5 min job from what I overheard.

Yeah but it was GRAW that brought us all together so it was not so bad and ya got tae admit that Viiiper's maps were pretty nice.

agreed!

Halli is spot on here.

Viii's maps where awesome and iv stil got them all just incase!!!!!

Grin had to dance to UBI's music thats what was their problem. They wanted to do more, and frequently responded to issues mentionned in forums in a phrase like we would love to do that but we can't.

Even though the engine was hard on systems and hard to mod the engine was superb to a lot of other engines....

I don't blame GRIN for the downfall of GRAW and GRAW2 I blame UBI.

Grin had to dance to UBI's music thats what was their problem. They wanted to do more, and frequently responded to issues mentionned in forums in a phrase like we would love to do that but we can't.

Even though the engine was hard on systems and hard to mod the engine was superb to a lot of other engines....

Agreed!

A sad day indeed.

Makes me wonder what their other games were like. They all seemed to be the same thing with different packaging to me. I never bought T4 or that Bionic Commando thing because I had a feeling it would turn out like GRAW2.