Spartans Home

True Story of the Consequences of Hearing Loss

Pro~SPARTA~

*True Story*

Having dinner with a good friend of mine who is a Command Sergeant Major on active duty and his lovely wife. We were eating at one of my favorite restaurants in Florence, Italy. They suggested we sit near this guy Al Fresco, and he must have been sitting outside because that's where they put us. The only problem is that I've lost most of my hearing and the noise of the streets made conversation a challenge.

My friend told me he had to get is nude DA photos taken soon. (DA=Department of the Army)

I almost dropped my fork.

"Why do you need that?" I asked. He said that senior non-commissioned officers ALWAYS get nude DA photos take every few years to update their files. It also helps for identification purposes, just like fingerprints and DNA samples.

The look on my face must've been easily read because Kathryn, his wife, said, "You didn't know that?"

I looked at her and asked, "You're okay with that?"

She said yes because they always came out good and she got copies to share with the family. She was quite proud of him... the conversation went on.

If you haven't figured it out by now, they were talking about his NEW DA photos. It helps to know that my friend is also a body builder and has spent 22 years in Special Operations. He is quite proud of his physique, and his wife is an exercise physiologist.

When I explained to them what I had heard and we recounted the bizarre nature of the conversation from that point onward, we laughed until we ran out of wine.

Thought you'd enjoy it.

Pro

Nice. Thats all to common for myself. I have had significant hearing loss even as a child, but especially since I was in the service. At best its difficult to hear a lot of different voices. I have lost completely some mid to high ranges and it is difficult to hear some females voices if my back is towards them. They thought I was ignoring them at work for the longest time.

I just told them about my hearing loss and then say But I did hear you a little bit and I was just ignoring you. They get all huffy and storm off while I smile and the people who overheard our conversation just laugh. Its quite humorous.

In the ER where I work, some of the nurses can be lets say, up-tight bitches, from time to time and its human nature to mess with them a little bit. Just a little jab to take it to the next level.

Then I turn around and say loudly, "This is SPARTA!!" HAHA

;)

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

LOL. I do the same with my wife, who is an MD and she knows I'm not ignoring her.

BTW, yes nurses can be uptight itchbays, but I have tons of respect for them.