Spartans Home

Domination: What's Your Role?

Morgan

M16 w/ Acog 203, 4-clips, 6-203 rounds, 1911 .45 A.C.P. w/ 2 clips, SMAW, 4-HEAA rounds. I try to make sure everyone is up and running, when someones down I make it a point to get them back up (revive), I also appreciate it when people return the favor. When there's no one to revive I like to hunt for enemy tanks. I am a big fan of working together and well orchestrated attacks (tactical stuff). I am always willing to adapt and learn new roles to fill the need.

J-7

• 3 weeks later...

Still sorting out all the various attributes for each character type (you can set down an MG nest as the autorifleman?), but my prior experience dictates I do much better out of the thick of the firefight. I've never had the right 'twitch' for CQB, but ARMA 2 (BF2 to an extent), permitted support roles for those up front. I'm attracted to the artillery officer and engineer roles, playing for the decisive actions which permit others' clearing a town. This also means optics are a must.

The M16A4 ACOG seems to end up in my loadout regularly, as do a couple satchels (but I also look for the Spetz operators to snag satchels). I've never bothered much with the M203 attachment, mostly due to space limitations.

A SMAW is superbly helpful with DP rounds, and I'll sling one of 'em as well as space permits. The AA round is of such limited use against armor, since the AI will bail on the first hit of a DP round, then finish 'em off with small arms.

Also, w/o fail, the silenced M9.

Now that I know how to use the backback from comments in this thread, I'll likely add an iron-sight something to the pack for the invevitable CQB. If it fits, I'd stuff a javelin or AA in there instead, all toward the purpose of allowing skilled players to do their thing.

All that said, I'm a little dissapointed in the true artillery impact. I'd expect anything stuck in that cone of death would come out dead. even light armor seems to roll out battle ready from underneath a salvo of HE.

Sooo...engineer and support/helo is the next experimental role. Other than ineptly flying right over a hot city last night, I can get those blackbirds anywhere on the map, and I'm decent for p/u vehicles to transport. I'll be a fine pilot in helo or fixed-wing, but that's only versus AI. In true MP, forget it, back to ground-pounding support. (which is my role in the AGW tournament).

Oh, I'll take a tank any day. That part's easy.

I dont know if its my Ghost Recon days but i do prefer to move in on a village and work my way through clearing it - I dont like to sit back and pick tangoes off one by one - I want to be in the thick of it.

Haven't completely settled on a class yet - squad leader, AT, or Artillery are my main focus.

Load out varies a bit but always like to pack 2 SMAWs minimum (although if I only have 2 I'll tend to hold one back for a tight situation where Im pinned by armor).

I normally like to go in with a small fire team (2-5 players) not too many to get out of hand but just enough to cover all the angles and stay focused. I have several favoured players for this - they just know what I'm thinking. :)

• 3 weeks later...
The best part of Domination is the revive.

+1

I haven't found my 'favorite' weapon yet as I am new to ARMA, but it's tough to go wrong with an m16 and maybe a smaw if there is armor to take care of. Silenced rifles are nice too if you only have a couple guys to clear a bunch of infantry in the city. Always try to at the very least buddy up with someone and stick with them throughout the mission, better if we can get a little squad action going. The reason I bought this game was to get away from the COD style game play and into real tactical team work, so I always try to do that and minimize casualties. I'm perfectly happy following someone around and watching their back, popping smoke and dragging them back to cover for a revive. It is a challenge and fun to help out team mates (even if some of them repeatedly ignore the fact that they are NOT Rambo). When we make it through a town without taking a loss it is a great feeling.

I tend to enjoy the SPARTA servers more when they are less populated, when there are 30 people it gets a little too crazy and run & gun style sometimes for my taste. The times I have hooked up with a few guys and we methodically took towns have been the most enjoyable gaming experience I've had in a FPS. Well, that and when Durka led a column of armor and we tore everything a new one. :)