Spartans Home

Inside OFP2 (The Developer's View)

Codemasters partners Intel interview Cm dev.

http://game-on.intel.com/eng/geekout/insid...ew/default.aspx

OFP2 is core aware, it will use as many cores that are available...

GO How is the particle system processing managed in terms of hyper-threading and multi-core?

AD The particle system runs on a multi-core aware task-based system. This system creates a fixed number of threads based on the number of cores the system has. It can adapt to distribute the active particle effects across the optimal number of threads. The optimal number of threads will vary with the hardware. The EGO used for Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising dedicates several threads to fixed jobs, such as feeding the graphics engine and processing the critical game logic. The remaining threads are given to the task manager. On minimum-specification systems the particle system is run on a single thread that?s shared with one of the primary tasks, which is one reason the game really benefits from quad core and above.

Core i7

GO Can the player expect to notice a difference running the game on an Intel® Core? i7?

AD Yes, the Intel Core i7 provides an excellent platform for Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. It offers high performance for critical threads, such as the main game loop, while the EGO engine's multi-core aware task-based system can use the large number of logical processors on the CPU to offload a significant amount of work from both the render and update threads.

Innovation

GO Were there any innovations or new directions in terms of particle systems in Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising?

AD For us there were three key elements we wanted to tackle in Flashpoint. First we developed a flexible and highly efficient CPU-based system to enable us to create a huge number of effects at any one time. Second, we iterated our EGO* GPU solution to allow us to simulate large volumes of wafting smoke across the battlefield without killing the frame rate. Finally, we also built a brand new EGO particle editor, which gave our art teams full control over the final effect in a rapid and iterative manner.

read more @

http://game-on.intel.com/eng/geekout/insid...me/default.aspx

viii