Spartans Home

ArmA 2 Scrims

Zeno~SPARTA~

Interest in the COD4 crouch only nights has waned in the heat of the summer, so I was wondering if there was interest in conducting scrims with other groups such as the BPR and TUG.

The idea would be to have one team defend a town and another attack it, then switch roles and try again.

The beauty of ArmA is its size which will allow approach from many vectors.

This is an idea in progress and needs further development if there is any interest.

What do you think?

It's a great fun idea :) and that is the key word fun, as soon as things get too serious some will get upset & the suspicions may start.

Might be good to get in touch with "7" as he has alot of experience with this setup & ask for his advice on the pros & cons to watch out for.

:)

The key will be getting the ground rules in place (abit like other games).

Fun is in the eye of the beholder (sorry about the mixed metaphors), so we will try to define guidelines that please the greatest number of players.

The first thing is to scrap the inter group idea, its too limiting, so here are some initial thoughts....

All players are welcome whatever group they are from.

Players arrive and join (or will be assigned to) a team, keeping the sides balanced, ie there is join in progress.

The start time will be set in advance as a guideline (just turn up when you can), once we have 10 players the starting teams will be assigned. For 15 minutes the defending team will be given time to plan and establish their perimeter. After the time has elapsed the attackers can move, they must not move before (no recon before the 15 minutes are up). After 15 minutes the attacking team can implement their plan of attack.

There should be revive (but not respawn).

Whatever the map/town the objective should be to destroy the radio tower (or something like that).

The mode should be such that we can see ourselves on the map but not the enemy (is this even possible).

There should not be any Arty, Armour or Air attack (nor drones if the game has them). Basically it is the players that have to kill the enemy with hand held weapons. No back pack stuff either. Just what a soldier can reasonably be expected to carry, of course you can load up the humvees with whatever you want/can.

Players can use unarmed vehicles to move around the map.

Thoughts

Fair comment, maybe we can limit the sniper rifles to 2 per side and the M24 bolt action and not the m107 semi autos and its ilk.

We should also have a time limit, say 60 minutes.

Can time be made to pass faster so that 24 hours passes in 60 minutes? That way we can choose a day or night assault.

We also probably need to have no dead men talking, if one team manages to pull off a stealthy assault it would be unfair for a "dead" player to give their position away.

All players are welcome whatever group they are from.

Thoughts

I totally disagree, I've edited this post because it's open to level 9, but there some people of one group I'm never welcoming here after all the rubbish they spread about us. Need I say more.

:beatdeadhorse:

So it's not open to everyone.....

I really dont think there is much need to worry about people who didnt like us 2 years ago bothering to join us in these scrims. Remember the server is passworded and the people you may be concerned about wont be able to join it.

I really dont think there is much need to worry about people who didnt like us 2 years ago bothering to join us in these scrims. Remember the server is passworded and the people you may be concerned about wont be able to join it.

+1

So what's the consensus on how we're gonna do this? Make some TDM missions and sieze the radio tower or just let us go at each other? Once I get the game, I could probably work to make a series of 30min TDM scenarios we could use. I'm thinking something like:

1. Capture the town

2. Defend the Radio tower

3. Get the convoy safely from one destination to another.

4. All out tank battle

etc etc...

To satisfy the so-far stated requirements I am envisioning a TD map with one team spawning far away from the Defenders town/position. The 15 minute restriction for allowing the Defenders to set up could be simply enforced by a travel-time requirement for the Attackers (and be more realistic).

Give the attackers a mobile spawn they can move up into the position they want and let them use their own strats for that. After the initial travel time the Attackers are then in either a good position to continue attacks or crap position, that is up to them.

This also gives the Defenders the opportunity to force Attackers to regroup by destroying the mobile spawn if they can find it. (if they are that good...:)

Set the map to a 75 minute time limit to allow for the travel time, restrict access to sniper weapons and let 'em loose on each other...:)