Spartans Home

A little speed trick

Athlon64~SPARTA~

Heres a little speed trick I picked up being into gameing for awile. If you have one of the newer mobos that has twin lans on the back and you are useing a router with spare, not used ports on the back, and if you have a spare cat 5 cable or lan cable try this. Connect the outher unused lan into the router so that you will have 2 lan cables hooked up to the router. Boot up the machine and it should auto detect and connect, if not, go to network connections and enable it, or you might have to install a additional driver for the lan to get it to connect.

What it does is under heavy load the first lan connection will overload creating a bottle neck, data will actually back up waiting to enter the machine. Buy connecting the 2nd lan it will reduce any bottle neck and the additional data will flow into the 2nd lan giveing smoother game play and it will actually give you a slight speed increase. This is a good boost for folks that don't have the best isp speed. if you have a router that has the activity light for each connection wile in game, under load, the 1st connection will be lit continously. The 2nd lan will intermittantly blink indcating that it is in use and carrying the over load data thus elemateing any bottlenecks, thus provideing smoother game play. The person useing this will look smoother in game and won't appear gittery to his friends. Im sure the IP seciencetests may not agree. but try it you will like it. I have been useing this now for 4 years and it works great for me.

For older machines that don't have the twin lans you can install a pci slot lan card and once the drivers are installed and enabled it will do the same thing. You are welcome.

If you have a dual gigabit ethernet nVidia based board (like the 680i or 590i, etc.) this definitely works. It actually works by dedicating each ethernet port for unidirectional packet flow (or converting traffic from full to half duplex). One for out, one for in. It's a feature called "teaming", and it's been one of the options for server setup for awhile. On most multiple Ethernet port PC boards, the ports have discreet controllers linking to a single south bridge chip which bottlenecks throughput. The speed advantage isn't that great, but advantages in stability and less packet loss should be noticed.

If you DO have an eligible nVidia based board, go to Start>All Programs>nVidia Corporation>Control Panel. Click on Networking>Adust Teaming. Enable Teaming. As long as you're in there, you might want to enable hardware-based TCP-IP Acceleration, as well.

Good luck and have fun!

And just for giggles, you might be interested to know that the drivers for the 590/650 nVidia boards are still not completely compatible with Vista. I cannot "officially" enable teaming on my board, but have both ethernet ports connected to my router, anyway. Both activity lights flicker, so.............

OK I have found another cable in the closet, attached it to my router, entered the network connections within the control panel, enabled my second LAN, created a network bridge between the two, shutdown pc, rebooted both the modem and my router, restarted my pc and tested on speedtest.net.

Things do seem a bit snappier and speedtest is looking good. When I'm not moving many packets the router activity light 1 & 2 are solid. When I start to move packets on the speedtest 1 goes crazy and 2 blinks at a much slower pace.

I wish I could check my gamer benchmark OP score but their server has not been responding lately for the test. I guess I will have to go fire up GRAW2 to see if I all of a sudden start getting more kills. ;)

My connection has always been pretty solid at 12megs down and 1meg up with virtually no packet loss that I am aware of but if this gives me that 1-2% extra it might just be enough for me to actually see Archdevil kill me instead of me just dropping dead. ;)

Cheers for sharing this tid-bit bud!

AZ

You have to be sure that the two cables are exactly the same length, within 2 millimeters, or you'll receive what is called "asymetrical packet nonparallelism," where packet A that was supposed to get to your machine in front of Packet B takes the long route and gets there at the same time or behind packet B. This results in you getting killed before Archdevel shoots you, then coming alive again.

Of course, none of this is true, but I really wish I understood this stuff enough to sound like I knew what I was doing.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

You have to be sure that the two cables are exactly the same length, within 2 millimeters, or you'll receive what is called "asymetrical packet nonparallelism," where packet A that was supposed to get to your machine in front of Packet B takes the long route and gets there at the same time or behind packet B. This results in you getting killed before Archdevel shoots you, then coming alive again.

Of course, none of this is true, but I really wish I understood this stuff enough to sound like I knew what I was doing.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

HAHA, While reading I was like, thats a bunch of rubbish! Who comes up with that stuff????

Then I read Elvis has a creative imagination... So funny.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Asymetrical Patrick Non... Asymetric Non-packing parallel...

Man, did I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!

Pro

Well after messing with it a bit more I have come to the conclusion that the dual cable thing was doing nothing for me with the way I had it set up.

I checked activity on both lan 1 & 2 before and after a gaming session and lan 1 had massive packet flow where lan 2 had a whopping 3 packets moved.

Talking with Nazart a bit we came to the conclusion that software is needed to give load balancing across the two. I will search some more on this topic and if I find some good free software to accomplish this I will post it up.

Looks like you 600 series Nvidia guys already have that with you chipset drivers.

Did you say you had 12 meg down a 1 meg up, you probley won't notice anything, this speed trick is for folks that don't have the best ip speed. I mainly posted it up for our UK friends that are connecting to the spartan servers in texas.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~