Spartans Home

Car washing

Rocky

The biggest thing is not to have any abrasives in the wash soap or water being used. or in the drying towel. I think most auto mfgers are still useing base coat/clear coat enamel paint systems now days. I don't think they are useing acrylic urathane yet. If they were, then most of the problems we are faceing with acrylic enamels would dissapear as far as color and gloss retention/fade from the sun. Useing a power buffer is the WORST thing you can do to a cars finish, If done wrong it leaves swirls in the clear coat, in my opinion it destroys the clear buy leaveing scrathes in the clear coat. If a finish has to be repaired then a product called Mirror glase should be used, and HAND buffed only! Take the power buffer and thow it the trash can! Unless you like to have it repainted.

Every body shop/auto paint shop jerk thinks that after painting a car it has to be buffed, NO!!!!!!!!!!! Its new paint, why buff it. Well they buff it to remove dust particles/dirt/runs or misstakes in the paint in order to save the paint job so they won't have to repaint it again. its a cheap fix. Its standard in the industry that most all paint on cars or trucks be 4 mills thick. Thats not very thick. Buffing removes some and after repeated buffing, it removes all the paint.

If a paint job on a car is done RIGHT it will need only to be washed when dirty. Not buffed. Maybe waxed every now and then to bring up the gloss when dulled from the sun with enamel paint. Urathane paint won't fade and never needs to be waxed or buffed, so if your getting you car repainted, swich to urathane paint.

Urathane paint is a isocynate type paint it uses a activater in it that causes a cemical reaction to make it harden right away, tak free in 20 minutes, It is a member of the super glue family. And is light years ahead of good old enamel paint. I have painted cars and all I use is urathane paint. I won't waste my time with enamel anymore, its not good enough to stand up to the enviroment for any lenth of time. If you trade your car often, then no need to worrie. But if you have a life time keeper, thats different.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Christ, some people need to get a life! :lol:

Yeh I know, some of the detailing threads on the BMW forum are really something else. At the same time, I am kinda like that, a little. :rolleyes:

Well you eather go thru life wondering about things or you know about things. Here at sparta we take pride in our automobiles. We like to know. My self being a experenced car painter/fire appratus/ ambulance/ crash truck/ brush truck/mechanic for 30 years will give you the stright shot on the subject. Or take that brillo pad you have at the kitchen sink, and rubb her down good as hard as you can, that will fix her up Friends. In case you dident know we have a hole thread on this subject. Some of the spartans have really nice cars and want advise from some of the rest of us on how NOT to ruin it wile keeping their new expencive prised baby nice. Don't listen to me go ahead and use that brillo pad. Gee I wonder why they pay the Rolls royce mechanic 8 hours to hang and ajust a door? Perfection? I wonder.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

Did I hear that Asten got bought out buy jaguar?

You're about 15 years late and not quite right with the buyers name.

In '94 Ford bought Aston Martin and put them in their "Premier Automotive Group" which already covered Jaguar, Land Rover and a few others.

In 2007 Ford sold us to an investment group and last year they did the same with Jaguar Landrover, selling them to TATA.

The lambs wool pad is awesome for washing, I'll never use a sponge again! It holds loads of water and gives a really soapy wash. The micro fibre towel dried the entire car in about 5-10 minutes without any rinsing out at all, amazing, easy, and superb finish.

Edited by Rocky

Because it was cloudy this morning I hand washed the car. This is when you notice the little chips and get annoyed. but more irritating are the insects which sacrifice themselves messily on my bonnet. I used a spray to attempt to remove them but in the end I had to polish the bonnet.

Sometimes its best not to look too closely.

Isnt the Rubicon Lara Crofts car of choice, a kind if Larambo.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Did you think about getting a car bra? Ya base coat, clear coat doesen't stand up to chips and the like. Acrylic enamal. Well if the chips don't go all the way thru to the primer, it could be recleared to fix it. Or spot shot and buffed. Here in florida the sun would flame the paint right off that thing in 2 years. The wind blown sand would sand blast the windscreen and burn the paint dull in no time flat.