Spartans Home

Time to play some ArmA..

Zebb

Gentlemen.

I think we can agree that everyone who currently wants to play ArmA in Sparta is now in a position to join our servers and take part in the games without any major issues.

During the past few weeks we have gone to great lengths to resolve all of the many different problems people were having, right up until Sunday when our newest potential player needed assistance.

As you are all aware to get ArmA setup to join one of our servers from scratch can be a time consuming procedure, but one that we feel is our responsibility because we created the servers that way, but now the time has come to start concentrating on the missions we all want to play.

Beginning this weekend we are going to introduce a new protocol for server 4.

Gaming time is going to be just that, once we are in the server we will not be involved in sorting out any game related issues, we are all adults and more than capable of solving any problems prior to joining the server so if anyone has any issues then please PM either X-Wind or me and we will either find the solution for you via the PM or we will arrange to meet you in TS and get it sorted out, I would suggest that everyone keeps a check on the ArmA forums to make sure that they keep up to date with any new patches, addons etc that may be needed (we all know that ArmA/ACE likes to update these files frequently which is out of our control but necessary for us to do to prevent any in-game issues) and maybe fire up your game in the days before you think you might be able to play and make sure that you can join our servers with no problems, if you do have setup issues contact us asap and we will get them squared away.

In the past we have been in the server as a group, either in the middle of a mission or just about to start, and people (not only Spartans) have been jumping into TS with game setup related problems and expecting then to be sorted out there and then, you must admit that if this is the one night that you could get a game and it kept on being interrupted you would get frustrated and eventually stop joining and we want to prevent that from happening, so lets get these things done and dusted during the down time so that when you join to play you know that is all we are going to do.

This will also let us concentrate more on testing some missions just for our servers including some of the fun stuff like the HAHO/HALO jumps and fastroping which is available and getting people in to give them a run.

Once a mission has begun there will be a 5 minute window during which time we will carry out one restart for people who have seen the server/TS occupied, are setup properly and want to jump in, but after that 5 minute window the mission will continue until it has been completed, the team inserted has been wiped out or there are only one or two players left and they are happy to end it, at that point anyone who has waited will be able to get in and we will start a new one.

All of these things are being implemented to improve the gaming experience for the people who want to join server 4 and will not affect server 3 for people who enjoy that format.

Please feel free to add any other suggestions you guys think will help improve our gaming nights or if there is anything here you might want clarifying.

Now, lets play...

Good post Zebb and completely understandable stance.

Two things I'd appreciate would be

* advance notice on here of a start time for a mission - maybe pick a day of the week, set a time and see if we could all stick to that.

* a sticky thread on here listing the requirements for server 4 that is updated as and when necessary (this may already be in place

Hi TP, good points mate.

There is a post made every time we have to update any of our addons/mods for the server so it should be available for everyone to see but if that isn't working then we can always look at improving that.

The time schedule is a tricky one to get right, we usually have someone around in TS most evenings my time (19.00 onwards) so these rules will apply to anyone who wants to play in server 4, if you and some of the other guys want to jump in and play and I join after you have started then I will wait until your mission is over and then come in.

Because of the usual time zone issue we have people joining and leaving through the evening so the best suggestion is to drop in when you want to play and see whose about, but if people would like to try and organise some permanent times I am more than happy to give it a shot.

I will be around this weekend evenings my time so if people want to come and play then that would be great.

I would also like to make a suggestion that any patches that are release during the three or four days prior to a scheduled 'session' not be applied to the server. This will:

A. Alleviate and minimize mod incompatibility problems.

B. Give Server admins and mods the ability to properly test the patch or addon well before the session to either get the word out that it has been updated or remove it if needed.

The day after a scheduled session would be the appropriate time to install/evaluate a patch or addon. This way you would have roughly a week to make adjustments or revert back to the previous version if issues arise.

I get on later than Zebb, Dai-San etc so I have gone into the Arma channel and said that I would like to join the next mission and then I go play something else. When they are all dead someone lets me know and I join in. Works for me and also lets me get some time in with guys not playing Arma.

I see the appeal for fixed starup times but real life tends to make that an embuggerance lol.

I would also like to make a suggestion that any patches that are release during the three or four days prior to a scheduled 'session' not be applied to the server. This will:

A. Alleviate and minimize mod incompatibility problems.

B. Give Server admins and mods the ability to properly test the patch or addon well before the session to either get the word out that it has been updated or remove it if needed.

The day after a scheduled session would be the appropriate time to install/evaluate a patch or addon. This way you would have roughly a week to make adjustments or revert back to the previous version if issues arise.

Np mate, we normally post the link to any new patch/addon in the forum so that people can download it at their leisure but advise them not to add it to their game until we know everyone has it and it has been added to the server, but if you want to agree on a time limit prior to any scheduled game we can do that.

Np mate, we normally post the link to any new patch/addon in the forum so that people can download it at their leisure but advise them not to add it to their game until we know everyone has it and it has been added to the server, but if you want to agree on a time limit prior to any scheduled game we can do that.

It's not about agreeing to a time limit before a game, it is more about preventing an incident. If we lose a visitor because he couldn't get into the game because he was having trouble installing a mod and we wouldn't take the time to help him because "now is game time, see me in a few hours or tomorrow," is the response they get, then there is a problem. We will never retain players this way, non-members or even current members.

I just think that having 3 or four days worth of notice about a patch or addon is a courtesy that we should extend to both LOSC members and visitors. Preventing and incident is far easier than dealing with one when it arises. As a philosophy, if you tell someone what their expectations should be, they will have a hard time creating their own, and if they do anyways, you will always have somehting to refer back to and say, here it is in black and white.

It will also go a long way in membership areas as people (members, admins, mods, and visitors) will all be able to play because they will know what is required of them as well as what, where and when they can get the mods/addons and the help to install them. Again... creating expectations.

Hell, we can even go the distance to hold an ArmA installation and file management hour long class and teach those who want to learn how the file structure works and how to install mods/addons the appropriate way. This too would prevent some or most common issues from arising.

When a new patch comes out for say... ACE (which has been a weekly/bi-weekly incident lately), it would be a good thing to have a formal process that each patch goes through. For example, post a locked thread with the following:

Patch information including patch changes and notes and number

If it is a alpha, beta, RC, or full release.

Expected date for the server (S3 or S4 for example) to be updated.

Download link and a mirror if possible.

In the same post give an update as to the status of the patch including pros and cons and any problems that may be present because of the patch.

Finally, say whether the server has been updated or not updated and why. Keep the thread locked. It is not an opinion thread for the masses.

On the other hand, you could make the first post in the thread the information post that includes the above and the subsequent posts could be left unlocked and used for trouble shooting by members and the public. This would keep the forums a bit tidier.

The important thing about this is we are keeping a record of what patches or addons we have tried and either kept or decided against. This would help for the future.

No matter how this is done, the distribution of formal information in a timely and easily searchable fashion, as well as consistent, will prevent issues and keep everyone on the same page.

I know that this sounds like a lot of work. But really you guys do most of it anyways. The difference is consistency pays.

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

Understood Medic and you have highlighted one of the main points of my original post which is please take the time to prepare you own individual games and keep them current and updated.

People, make sure that you check the forums whenever you have the time and see if anything is going to be required or patched that you need in the preceding days and not, as often happens, the night you decide that you want to join the server and then find that you can't, 99% of our regular players do this and anyone new who wants to join will need to do the same, it's not a case of "now is game time, see me in a few hours or tomorrow, it's more a common courtesy when joining anyone's server, I certainly wouldn't go to another teams site without checking the relevant forums for the game I want to play and ensure I was all up and running before trying to join there server, and that's all I'm asking for here, as I previously stated we will help anyone who needs it but not at the expense of all our other guys who have done the ground work to play and then sit around in the servers while we do it.

I know you appreciate what a drag that can be Medic when your all ready to go and then nothing happens for an hour or even longer sometimes.

I like the idea of a formal installation session and if people would find it useful then I'm sure we can organise something.

Thanks for taking the time to add your ideas mate, it's appreciated. :thanks:

Understood Medic and you have highlighted one of the main points of my original post which is please take the time to prepare you own individual games and keep them current and updated.

People, make sure that you check the forums whenever you have the time and see if anything is going to be required or patched that you need in the preceding days and not, as often happens, the night you decide that you want to join the server and then find that you can't, 99% of our regular players do this and anyone new who wants to join will need to do the same, it's not a case of "now is game time, see me in a few hours or tomorrow, it's more a common courtesy when joining anyone's server, I certainly wouldn't go to another teams site without checking the relevant forums for the game I want to play and ensure I was all up and running before trying to join there server, and that's all I'm asking for here, as I previously stated we will help anyone who needs it but not at the expense of all our other guys who have done the ground work to play and then sit around in the servers while we do it.

I know you appreciate what a drag that can be Medic when your all ready to go and then nothing happens for an hour or even longer sometimes.

I like the idea of a formal installation session and if people would find it useful then I'm sure we can organise something.

Thanks for taking the time to add your ideas mate, it's appreciated. :thanks:

No problem Zebb, anytime.