Spartans Home

ARMA2 is out - German Version 1.01

NoScream~SPARTA~

lol, smartest AI evah! :)

But really, it looks nice, and the movements when the guy rolls over look great, although I'm still not a fan of all the jumpiness when trying to walk/run. This should be fun once they mod the ARMY into it :)

A quote from that forum...

I've got one word to describe my first mission... wow. I'm pretty darn impressed so far. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. If I had to compare it to something, it would be like playing GRAW2 in a much larger setting, with better AI and graphics.

Veddy Veddy Interesting.

lol, smartest AI evah! :)

But really, it looks nice, and the movements when the guy rolls over look great, although I'm still not a fan of all the jumpiness when trying to walk/run. This should be fun once they mod the ARMY into it :)

A quote from that forum...

Veddy Veddy Interesting.

I dunno, I only watched that one video, but to say the GFX are better than GRAW 2 is way off from what I've seen. The models, the environs, the smoke, the fire, those are all noticeably better done in GRAW2.

For a tactical shooter it has buckets more to offer than GRAW 2, maybe the AI is better (lets hope!!) but in the GFX department, the jury is out and I'm expecting a GRAW2 result. :o

And when you look at those frame rates. sorry, but the gfx engine is not delivering.

Edited by Rocky

GRAW2 should have much better graphics than ArmA or ArmA2.

GRAW2 doesnt have the ginormous landmass to render. ..the maps are tiny specks in comparison. GRAW2 doesnt have draw distance to worry about, at least certainly not to anything close to what ArmA has to support.

GRAW2 figures are crisper, cleaner, more detailed, better shadowed and so on, and prolly always will be... the game does not have the same requirements or demands on its graphics engine, and GRAW2 has a lot more overhead to play with which allows for higher poly counts and better rendering.

In a strict comparison between the 2, GRAW2 should win every time.

ARMA2 graphics are excellent, the problem is with the gameplay mechanics & bugs

READ this thread where BIS asks:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47440/Ar...Is-A-Bit-Buggy/

The replies are harsh but spot on.

The biggest letdown is a deja vu ARMA1 SSDD feeling, the AI is the main problem then comes glitches, breakthroughs on graphic collisions & trigger points failing. The list is growing.

ARMA1 + ACE is a bigger winner but ARMA2 has more equipment & sexy environment.

The engine is driving the GPU & CPU hard, so hard that a 8800GTC is seeming like a min spec for 25-30 FPS, another crysis? remember how DUMB the AI were in that & same with GRAW2 AI, MARIO has better AI, sorry but it spoils the experience.

Lets hope a patch will solve the bugs but I remember ARMA 1 & 6 months on it was still being patched.....

ARMA2 graphics are excellent, the problem is with the gameplay mechanics & bugs

The biggest letdown is a deja vu ARMA1 SSDD feeling, the AI is the main problem then comes glitches, breakthroughs on graphic collisions & trigger points failing. The list is growing.

Lets hope a patch will solve the bugs but I remember ARMA 1 & 6 months on it was still being patched.....

What's a game series without traditions?? ;)

GRAW2 should have much better graphics than ArmA or ArmA2.

GRAW2 doesnt have the ginormous landmass to render. ..the maps are tiny specks in comparison. GRAW2 doesnt have draw distance to worry about, at least certainly not to anything close to what ArmA has to support.

GRAW2 figures are crisper, cleaner, more detailed, better shadowed and so on, and prolly always will be... the game does not have the same requirements or demands on its graphics engine, and GRAW2 has a lot more overhead to play with which allows for higher poly counts and better rendering.

In a strict comparison between the 2, GRAW2 should win every time.

And I threw GRAW2 away after about a month or 2 of play time I recall. In all seriousness, the only games I've bothered to stick with have been OGR and GRAW1. ArmA is still pretty fun at the moment, though, and I look forward to ArmA2.

What it comes down to is this. The German release is buggy and limited (as ArmA I was). The full Euro and US releases will have been patched at least once and have extra campaign features (as ArmA I was).

Will it be bug free... Hell no.

Will it need the loving touch of the modding community to be the game we want... Hell yes.

Will we buy it on the day of release... Of course.

Basically it will need a lot of patches and modding to get where ArmA + Ace is now but at least it will be starting from a slightly better position than the original, and at least the developer have shown they will support their game with ongoing development and patching. This is a lot more that some games and companies.

I will buy the game and play it and maybe even jump in and do some mission making and stuff but hopefully people will still be playing ArmA + Ace until we feel ArmA II is a viable replacement.

It often makes me laugh how people compare and argue the benefits and detriments of similar games (ArmA II & OFP DR) as if they can only possibly have one installed on their PC and they MUST make the right choice when in reality we all know that we'll buy em both :D

Well currently running an 8800 GTS 320 OC, which plays all my current games fine, including ARMA. If ARMA 2 requires an upgrade then, it's off my shopping list, sadly.

Just heard today that I'm getting shafted on my bonus that was due in April for my 2008 performance (all targets met), so not a happy bunny! :beatdeadhorse:

If an 8 series card does not play Arma at acceptable FPS than it's gonna have a job selling more than crysis I hope Bohemia aren't that silly

well the firsst upadte is know out.. 1.01 not beata a proper one...

but i have read that untill th 19th of this month there is going to be 1.02 out.. so lets hope they will fix stoff on it. coz its buggy as hell :o)

Speaking of projects, I have run an idea past X-Wind that I think is a go. It will take some setting up, i.e. a missions with tons of stuff to blow up and some tweaking in an addon. But it will be a cool project that everyone can participate in the making of (hint hint)...

More later when I know more on time frame and other aspects. 'Later' will be after the US release, so calm down and stop hooraying. Geez you all are just a bunch of kids, aren't you?

lol, HURRAH! oh wait... :)

I'm thinking something along the lines of very simple missions where we can do in 10-30min on game night, so latecomers and new/potential members can join in very easily. I figured the guys who know the real military tactics could come up with the missions. Missions that don't need 20 people to participate, or don't involve liberating a whole map. If that "Village of the Damned" map mission only had the objective to take out the compound, it would be perfect.

I'm thinking of simple missions like convoy ambush, enemy patrol ambush, take the compound, defend the compound, ect.

I like the way your are thinking. I have been drafting a plot line for a few (5 so far) missions to create the first ArmA SPARTA Campaign. It is still in the works of course and would probably benefit from ArmA 2 if one of the desert maps can be imported.

I will wait to begin scripting these missions once the entire campiagn is written. Hopefully there will be ten parts; each with different difficulty levels and personnel requirements.

I may even write a short story to go along with it, but I am not really good at writing fiction, so it may suck.