Spartans Home

THANK YOU

A few years back I worked in an office building where a memorial obelisk had been built to honor the fallen veterans (in all wars) who came from the town I was working in. It had plaques for each of the major wars listing the individuals who had given their lives.

Now, I've spent a goodly portion of my years feeling somewhat cycnical about our societies and the general apathy that seemed to be so apparent..particularly in regards to our cultural heros.

At any rate, I went out for a quick smoke one day. I was seated on a bench some 20 yards from the memorial.

After 10 or 15 mins I spotted a couple of young kids approaching the memorial. A young boy, walked by, toting along a little girl by the hand.

The young girl broke her brothers grasp and ran up to the memorial, with dolly clutched tightly in her other hand (much to her brothers apparent horror). She began skipping and jumping around the base of the memorial obelisk, until her brother sprinted over, grabbed her by the hand and pulled her back from the memorial.

Both were oblivous to my presence nearby.

Now, keep in mind that the little boy couldnt have been much more than 8 or 9 years old, the sister...probably 6 or 7.

I paused in my smoking, and watched as the young boy turned and admonished his sister (rather severely, as older brothers tend to do)..

"Stop that!" he said sternly.

"Don't you know important this is?" he asked the girl, obviously horrified at her antics. "This is where the soldiers who died for us are, you dont play here, they are heros!".

With that, he stepped back 3 paces, saluted smartly and after a moment grabbed his sisters hand and they ran off to whatever the days adventures would bring, giggling and skipping away.... leaving me there to marvel at what Id just seen.

Do the kids today know and understand what it is that you do? Yup, they do.

I honor our war heros in my own way, so I wont pontificate on this further here... except to say I felt quite honored to have experienced that exchange. It gave me hope for the future, and for our society as a whole.

Edited by Morgan