Spartans Home

Good Mission, Wish I could've stayed longer

Durka-Durka~SPARTA~

Hey, great map that X-Wind found! Running that mission properly with about 8-10 people would be really fun. As it was, 4 of us played and we had a blast planning and implementing the strategy.

It was a great tactical map, comprimising of an enemy outpost on a hill with a gully running around it. Plenty of ways to attack it, and we did a good job, although we ended up getting spotted too quickly. But, with the strategy we had, with a well defended fall-back position, it worked out really well. Ideally, it would've been great to have two squads to cover the flank as the enemy attacked the position. Hope to do it again someday!

Yeah Zebb found that map and most of the other good ones. It's good fun and it was really nice to see you, T and Pun in game. We put a serious hurt on them and then took a HMWWV ride which lasted ~23 seconds before the gunner was shot up. Those things are okay for transport if you're very careful but they have certainly earned their reputation as a 'bullet magnet'.

Using the satchels as breaching charges to create killing zones is a good tactic. Worked out well.

Really good fun and let's try and do it again soon.

:gun:

Yeah Zebb found that map and most of the other good ones. It's good fun and it was really nice to see you, T and Pun in game. We put a serious hurt on them and then took a HMWWV ride which lasted ~23 seconds before the gunner was shot up. Those things are okay for transport if you're very careful but they have certainly earned their reputation as a 'bullet magnet'.

Using the satchels as breaching charges to create killing zones is a good tactic. Worked out well.

Really good fun and let's try and do it again soon.

:gun:

Yeah, Humvees with no doors can be hazardous for your health :)

I still think that if we had another small team over with the Humvee providing left-flank support with the 50cal and SAWs, it would've turned out to be a quick success. Oh well. Bounding in the 2man teams worked really well, although the distances between stops seemed a bit long.

I'd like to see a dedicated mission with a nice detailed briefing on this map someday. I love this stuff :)

EDIT: as long as it's in a nice, relaxed manner. Forgot that one lol. Maybe multiple spawns could work and serve as "reserves"

Thats what is great about the ArmA server setups. The main goal of the ArmA servers is to bring something to the table that everyone can enjoy. The primary goal on each of the servers is to build team ethos. By far this is the most important aspect of this game.

The other side of the coin is that offering a single environment for game play is not a good idea. Multiple servers are necessary to appeal to different people. There are those Spartans that enjoy a very relaxed environment with multiple respawns and a more carefree attitude when playing. And then there are Spartans who enjoy the combat simulation style, where real world tactics, comms discipline, and teamwork are absoluetly paramount. This environment happens to be no respawns and no revives.

What I think is awesome, is that the servers are accessible to everyone. The only caveat that is asked, much like the crouch-only/no-running CoD play style on the locked server, is that the server rules are respected by those who choose to play on the respective servers.

If a Spartan enjoys respawns, server three is set up very closely to server four, but the guidelines to play on it are far more relaxed. You can go in and fly as many Apaches into the ground as you want and use as many respawns as you want, with no problem. It is set up with fairly straight forward mods that enhance the game to a bug-free and feature rich environment.

Server four, is set up much the same way as S3 with further maps and mods. The main difference between S3 and S4 is that where S3 has 'guidelines,' S4 has 'formal rules.' The rules are there to ensure the environment stays as true as possible and realistic as possible.

Again the main goal is to build teamwork and participation within the players. Providing different environments to appease different play desires in ArmA is no different than setting up a Regular Ranked CoD server, and a Crouch only server where there are limited perks. These are two different styles that anyone can enjoy.

Personally, I hope that we all get a chance to play as a team and grow as teammates and friends no matter which server were are playing on at the time. With the school semester behind me I am looking forward to setting up some S3 and S4 ArmA nights to have fun and practice those old Army techniques I haven't even thought about for a few years... not to mention blowing some shit up. But also keep in mind that ArmA 2 is on the horizon. I am really looking forward to testing this game and seeing what she can do for Sparta.

Cheers.