Spartans Home

Possible business trip to the UK

az_sniper_EBDA

It is looking like ol' AZ will be deployed to a military installation in Wattisham for two weeks in early November with my company.

This trip will be to train technicians how to perform modifications to the nose assembly on the AH64D Apache attack helicopter also known as the TADS/PNVS. If you are unfamiliar with the system you can read more about here: http://www.lockheedmartin.co.uk/products/tads.html

This will be my first international trip and it is looking like I will have the weekend of the 10th open to do or go where I please. If any of my UK brothers live near there and can give my some pointers that would be great, that way I don't feel so much like a fish out of water. Hell maybe some one could show me where to find some good eats and where to get a good beer.

I'll post more details as I get them.

Later,

Brian aka az_sniper

I know someone that lives near there and works for Lotus cars, but it so far away from me I've only been twice to see him in 10 years.

And how long have you been in the military? First trip overseas? I am preparing for deployment #2 and I have been to other places other than the desert. You need to get out more.

No Postal I am not in the military, the word deployed was a figure of speech, I am work for a large defense contractor.

You know, when I hear people complaining about the occupation of Iraq thing dragging on for so long I have to laugh at people's ignorance of history.

Look at how long we've had to occupy England. Since we defeated them in 1812, I reckon. Although the place is still crawling with insurgents, I do think we need to start winding down sometime. First GB, then Iraq.

Have fun over there. Wish I could join you.

PS: I've heard they drive on the other side of the road sometimes. This isn't confirmed. Left hand side on odd number days, right hand on evens.

I have to go over there quite often and the thing about driving on the wrong side is true. When will they get with the rest of the civilized world? Oh, by the way, they spell it 'civilised.' They get their 's' and 'z' confused constantly. They do it with 's' and 'c' as well, for instance they mispell Defense as Defence. My cousin Guido from New York has a problem with De Fence on the west side of his house, but I am in the Defense industry.

They are also quite misinformed about the American War for Independence. For instance, they believe they lost our colony to the rebels because they lost interest in America when they found India. I guess I can see that. Here we've only had Oil, Gold and the world's strongest economy, but India has plague, overpopulation and you can't eat the beef.

People say they drink their beer warm, that's not true. It's drunk at cellar temperature. That's usually the ambient temperature of the Pub's basement. They don't refrigerate much over there because Lucas (makers of Lotus' and Jaguar's electronics systems) makes the refrigerators and cellar temp is quite an accomplishment.

You'll find quite a bit to eat over there, like Indian, Chinese, Italian, Japanese and many other non-UK aboriginal foods. You probably have noticed the marked lack of "English Food" restaurants popping up all over the US. That's because in Hell, they serve British food. If you do try some, be sure to ask for "Spotted Dick." I've never had it, but if you do we'll have fun posting lots of comments about it... and it's really fun to say.

Finally, watch your pronunciation. Leicester is only two syllables over there and pronounced "lester". Worcestershire is only three. Just fill your mouth with marbles and they'll think you're from Liverpool. They may have created the language, but we've perfected it.

Cheerio old chap and enjoy.

Cheers,

Pro

Lest we lose track, do any of the UK guys live near Wattisham, apparently its just outside Ipswich in Anglia. I think your out of luck AZ. I know Ipswich has a pretty good train service into Liverpool Street Sation just east of the city of London (UK's wall street), If you have time you may actually be able to do a bit of sightseeing. I dont know that area at all, so I cant point you to any restaurants or stuff. Bring or buy an umbrella, as it always rains in the UK, which is why I don't live there.

Now I am not a historian (although I have watched the Patriot), but I believe that one of the principal reasons for wanting to seperate from the empire was taxation (I am sure that there were lots of other reasons given but usually economic motivation is the strongest at any level). I find it amusing therefore that most Americans pay more tax than any Brit (in percentage terms).

As for language, I do not understand why americans learn English at school but spell incorrectly, you should teach american in your schools, that way there would be no confusion. Well maybe not since the american language is fast becoming spanish, this isnt a problem for me I studied spanish for five years and can quickly catch up, una cerveza por favor.

I could go on, but like the french say 'vive la difference'.

Agreed. I can't fathom that the founders of this country would ever agree to any circumstances in which the government would be able to collect 50% of a person's income in taxes.

(I believe this all started after we lost the Vietnam war and submitted to the rule of our Vietnamese communist masters.)

It is actually the American spelling of 'Defense' which is a bastardisation (you can check that big word up to, it is correct and is NOT a swear word) of the correct spelling 'Defence' (which is generally the case in most words spelt differently in America as the 'American' language is effectively English, pity at the time your language scholars couldn't spell correctly, otherwise it would have been the english spelling!

What the word originally meant was:

That which fends off attack or danger; a protection; a cover; security; shield.

Most likely this was in relation to the sword (ie to fence, therefore to protect yourself is defence)

We could try to teach you americans the correct spellings, but we all know it would be a waste of time ;)

Regards,

Steve

PS - I am not biased - I was brought up in Canada, so primary education was there, high school in UK! - Transition shall we say was interesting!

We just want our tea back, I mean throw it in the water and it's not boiling whats that all about.

AZ English food is having a bit of a revival but I can't recommend any places around Ipswich. If you like spicy food there is going to be more than one very good Indian restaurants near there just ask on the base and don't have the Phal dish.

Well, I see a little facts are in order:

1: The Brits pay far more in taxes than we do. General Sales Tax, Value Added Tax, plus Personal Income Tax add up to far greater than any similar calculation in the US. My attornies and tax accountants do our books in both nations and by far, we pay less in the US. Then consider the tariffs most people have to pay to buy quality products (which have to be imported), but the tariffs are buried in the High Street price.

B: The American War for Independence was fought for many reasons, yes economic was most of it. It was however Taxation without Representation that was the rallying cry.

As for Mr. Dunn's education in Canada, all I can say is there are three kinds of Americans over here: Those who are good with numbers and those who are not.

Cheers,

Pro

LOL Pro,

It is true that I deliberately ignored indirect taxes such as VAT, but as for taxes on income, hmmmm.... well I guess your happy. I cant argue too strongly since I dont pay UK tax.

Also everyone knows the UK is one of the worlds greatest tax havens (not for americans who have to pay US tax wherever they live in the world, sadly not for brits either).

I did like the subtle implication that all quality goods in the UK need to be imported lol. Apart from military hardware americans do like to buy imports also. We cant afford those quality goods in the UK and since VAT is on Luxury (government term) items we end up not paying as much tax.

Now all of this is of no use to AZ sniper unless your attornies can tell him where he can get a good curry near Ipswich.

Warning: continued off topic ahead:

B: The American War for Independence was fought for many reasons, yes economic was most of it. It was however Taxation without Representation that was the rallying cry.

He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

For protecting them, by a mock Trial from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies

For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.

He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

He has plundered our seas, ravaged our coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.

He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.

He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.