Spartans Home

285 Video card --HELP

I'm trying figure out the difference with 285 vid cards evga has cards with the same specs but different ser. numbers and prices but, no info on why one is more than the other.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompa...N82E16814130483

the third card is a possibility but if there is a difference between the -1285 and 1181 what is it? Is there a difference between 12 and 11 series? The newegg specs are misleading. Do they have 285s that are not dx10 compatible?

F.Y.I. evga is not the only brand I'm looking at. My price range is $300-350. If anyone has an opinion please post it.

Well its probley due to the specs of the card, what the mem and shader, and clock settings that is loaded in the cards Bios. Generally the faster the card or higher the settings is useally cost more money for the factory O.C. over clocked card and the stock card is cheaper. A person can get the stock card for cheaper and clock it up manualy himself thus equaling the more expencive card. The only difference, in the same model card, is the bios thats loaded in it telling the card to run at said specs. Of corse the dealer could be more greedy then the outher dealers. And from your link there, thats exactly what it is.

that number you listed is probley the mem clock setting of the card. All the new cards are DX10 complyant if a DX10 game is run then Dx10 will run, if not it will be DX9.0c buy default. Some games give you a choice of eather running it in 10 or 9.

Some folks will argue this point to death, But try to stay with what they call first tier mfg= name brand. Like asus, msi, xfx, bfg, evga, ati, pny. If you have never head of it before, stay away from it like the pleage. 2nd tier junk card mfgers= gainword, palute, power color,arbotron, safeire, Also the warranty has everything to do with it. Try and get one that has life time warranty if your smart. If your spending that much money on a card, you better get the top of the line, and the best warranty. Unless you have alot to throw away, in wicth case send me some, LOL!

I also noticed that NewEgg has a not so great policy, 30 days none refundible/none returnible, I don't think I would buy one from there, try

www.tigerdirect.com for just plain better everything.

This will probley make you mad but better smart then broke http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Ca...ame=Video-Cards

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

• 3 weeks later...

The main difference that I see is that one is a Superclocked edition and the other is a FTW (for the win) edition.

Check the clock speeds and Open GL 3.0

The clock speeds are different but not by much, and I would put a paycheck on it they both support Open GL 3.0 and Newegg. just left it off.

------------------------------------SC---------------------------------------------FTW

Core Clock--------675 MHz (v.s. 648 MHz standard)-------702 MHz (v.s. 648 MHz standard)

Shader Clock-----1548MHz (v.s. 1476 MHz standard)-----1584 MHz (v.s. 1476 MHz standard)

Memory Clock-----2538MHz (v.s. 2484 MHz standard)-----2646 MHz (v.s. 2484 MHz standard)

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~