Spartans Home

An ArmA Noob's Eye-View

Morgan

I connected to the ArmA server 3 with some trepidation last night... but my goals for my first night of ArmA'ing were fairly simple:

1. Learn the very basics.

I wanted to be able to shoot an enemy, reload, and so on...I think I did that pretty well.

2. Dont embarass myself

Here I just wanted to not die too much and more importantly not cause anyone get killed. Did alright here too I think.

I've played through the tutorial missions and walked around a bit in the SP campaign so I was passingly familiar with the environments.

What i wasnt expecting was the flat out awesomeness of playing coop to that level... this is exactly what I have been looking for, for years now. Awesome is an extremely over used word these days, but I honestly can't think o0f anything more appropriate.

My biggest surprise came from the realism... running around as a medic with bandages, and morphine and the other stuff I cant spell. Examining my patients, and even being able to drag a body around to safety. I am in medic heaven...:)

My 2nd biggest surprise came from being jumped by an enemy tank. Yes, we got jumped (almost literally) by a tank 'from nowhere'.. all of a sudden it just seemed to be there. It was freaky awesome...:) The best part though, after we recovered a little was seeing the tank crew jump out and wax us again. Some big lessons learned in those 30 or so seconds of terror.

Creeping along the beach, pausing to scope out the town and the area around it... hugely fun.. even found some armor we could drop arty on.

Now admittedly I didnt do a lot.... I capped a couple of bad guys and drove around an APC command thing... but I did get to med a few people and did my best to back up my team members.

Crapload of learning to do, but I am really looking forward to it. My new uber machine should help with some play issues (mouse related) and I hope to be able to ArmA a lot more in the future.

I wont be server 4 ready for awhile... but one day soon...:)

Special uber thanks to Medic and X-wind for getting me going... it was a lot of work for you guys, I know, but the wait was sure worth it.

Id be happy to join any server 3 runs that might come along so keep me in mind!

Morgan

The only thing it cannot do is close quarters stuff, hope that is improved in Arma 2.

Glad you got some game time and enjoyed it.

First off, it was a real pleasure seeing you (Morgan) all set up and in the server. Had a blast on Server 3, dont get too comfortable with how the game play is; I'd hat for you to pick up bad habits, especially if you are wanting to play on S4.

Over all, you did very well, and took what few orders were given without hesitation and to the best of your ability. You may have a good ways to go to be really good, but remember, none of the rest of us are all that great either, we just try really hard to follow our own rules and even doing so, we tend to get shot up just like the rest.

Keep in mind that the journey is the hard part, the destination is merely the reward. You have to endure the journey before you can revel the victory.

I am very much looking forward to future games with you not to mention the rest of the Spartans who play ArmA.

@ Custard, You would be surprised at how functional the CQB environment is with the mods that X-Wind and Zebb have implemented. Granted, with improvement comes new challenges. Most notably is the quickly realized and learned truth that in order to function in a CQB environment you HAVE to rely on your teammates to cover the various angles. Or else you will be over whelmed very quickly. Other than this, the shooting aspect and the ability to properly function as an avatar in a CQB environment has, as said before, been greatly improved.

I have found that CQB is far more enjoyable and I am more inclined to enter said areas with less hesitation than ever before. Still, there is a hold up that pulls the reins a bit. This hesitation is that the buildings, while having better design, still do not allow for entry and clearing. At this point, I personally do not know if ArmA 2 addresses this, but I am with you in the hope that it does.

First I heard about CQB improvement because of the mods I really am interested now. Might give it a go this weekend.

I'm a bit behind on my posts.....so little time, so many things to do....

Morgan,

Great to see you in game the other night and glad you enjoyed it. I too have been looking for this type of play for some time and it's nice to know that Sparta makes it available to anyone and everyone that likes the team based style.

Please don't ever think you're not ready for server 4. It's very much an inclusive environment for anyone that enjoys that type of play. Sure there are rules/expectations but that's only to ensure mutual respect and to foster a particular environment for the folks that enjoy more of a military simulation.

Server 3 and 4 are most always available and I enjoy both of them. I like the looser structure of server 3 to work on the different weapon platforms, vehicles/aircraft etc. I also very much enjoy what server 4 offers as the team(s) are counting on everyone to properly carry their weight in support of the mission. Server 3 typically offers an infinite re-spawn setup while server 4 is generally a single life only scenario and no join in progress (JIP). Mistakes are typically rewarded with a trip to the spectate cam either for the player or their team mate that was counting on a player to properly cover their arc/sector. In a long mission an early trip to 'spectateville' can be frustrating but it really intensifies the immersion.

Again I'm glad you're now setup for A.C.E and enjoyed your first foray into the vast world of ArmA.

Drop in anytime...

X

ps Custard....while ArmA will probably never feel as fluid relative to CQB as a game that does CQB exlusively it's a relatively minor concern given the open battlefield scope ArmA offers. This goes without saying but please feel free to join in anytime. See ya there....

I've a graphics prob.

When starting the game I get just a few coloured blocks and the buttons at the start screen are black blocks (they work)

I reinstalled everything up to 1.15b and started the game at each stage and it's the same

My new GPU (HD 4870) could be the culprit I've been looking on the card makers site no joy so far

I've seen this mentioned before mate what system are you running?

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617015

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikon...8;t=62503;st=90

Maybe take a quick look at what they have to say and see if any of it makes sense, some people mention that it may be an OpenAL issue, not sure if you have looked into that.

Yeah, I actually had this with a Vista x64 install. I just made sure that dx10 was updated and and that my video card drivers were updated as well. Then I installed the patches and finally it worked. I had never had that happen before on installs, but there is a first time for everything. Also you will want to install all hotfixes for whatever OS you are running. I did this on my install of ArmA, so I don't know what the hotfixes could have repaired/replaced but it could be a factor.

If you are running XP still, just make sure that dx9.0c is updated and the patches for the game are updated as well as hotfixes are updated.

In Summation...

Initially, to me, this looked like a video issue, so the card drivers and Dx are needing to be at least checked. If those are good, then it is time to look at game patches. If those are okay, you could look at OS hotfixes.

Quick update to my original post:

I stuck my toes gently into server 4. *gulp* It was glorious.

Xwind and I tippy toed to a hilltop where I learned to do basic spotting and how to call out coords... Im thinking of ninja-changing his name to Eagle Eye....or maybe ...Hubble... he was finding snipers where I could only see the tiniest of grey blobs. Was that grey pixel a sniper? Never knew until it fell over dead and Xwind would say 'he's down'.

We snuck through town, found the objective, blew it up..it was just a great time. Didnt fare quite so well on the 2nd objective... but considering we were only two (well, 1.5 considering my exprience level) of us I thought we did a miraculous job of getting as far as we did.

Scariest moment for me was looking down beside me and seeing an armed satchel charge sitting there (Id been moving some stuff around in my ruck)...yikes! Didnt know if it was ticking and waiting to go off or not but I found the 'disarm' command and all was well... but those may have been the longest 3 seconds of my life...:)

Ive fixed the mouse issues I was having so this was uber-easier to play...the only thing I worry about now is the lack of crosshairs. Ive never played that way in any shooter before so thats gonna take some learning I suppose. We had a contact pop around a corner, right across the lane and I popped off a couple of wild shots but Xwind nailed him and saved the day. Thats when I realized the crosshair problem.. hahahah.

Otherwise it was a grand and fun time... can't wait to do it again with some more Spartans...:)

Morgan