Spartans Home

ArmA Setup

Xross

Just to let you know I'll be around most all day tomorrow (3/22). If anyone needs or wants assistance in getting ArmA setup simply let me know. It's honestly not difficult but it may be a bit time consuming due to the size of the requisite downloads. If you D/L everything and have it available we can get you set up in a matter of minutes. If you need assistance any other time we can do that as well.

And you'll quickly see why it's been modded. Between the new environments (primariily Afghan Village/Avgani re:OPX) along with all of the amazing enhancement A.C.E. brings to the game it's a whole new world. Server 3 is available for familiarization of the new weapons systems (just look in an ammo crate and see how many weapons you're proficient with), recon devices (steerable parachute deployed camera fired from a 203 launcher (HuntIR). Add the new stamina models along with the ability to render aid, proper Fire Control Systems, Flares, Effective Smoke, Ruck Sacks, Auto Adjusting NVG, Dual Primary Weapons, Vehicles, Air Craft etc etc etc and it's a tactical buffet table!

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Regards,

ps Please start here (Both A.C.E servers 3 and 4 are currently at 1.06 beta)->

A.C.E. Links

Current Setup

Just to let you know I'll be around most all day tomorrow (3/22). If anyone needs or wants assistance in getting ArmA setup simply let me know. It's honestly not difficult but it may be a bit time consuming due to the size of the requisite downloads. If you D/L everything and have it available we can get you set up in a matter of minutes. If you need assistance any other time we can do that as well.

And you'll quickly see why it's been modded. Between the new environments (primariily Afghan Village/Avgani re:OPX) along with all of the amazing enhancement A.C.E. brings to the game it's a whole new world. Server 3 is available for familiarization of the new weapons systems (just look in an ammo crate and see how many weapons you're proficient with), recon devices (steerable parachute deployed camera fired from a 203 launcher (HuntIR). Add the new stamina models along with the ability to render aid, proper Fire Control Systems, Flares, Ruck Sacks, Dual Primary Weapons, Vehicles etc etc etc and it's a tactical buffet table!

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Regards,

ps Please start here (Both A.C.E servers 3 and 4 are currently at 1.06 beta)->

A.C.E. Links

Current Setup

Tried to get startd on this and was completely lost. there are no Download links anywhere to be found in the ACE pages. Just page after page of what appears to be some sort of Wiki in a section called Downloads and the section is so badly set up I dont even know if I am in the right area. In the Downloads section of the Wiki are more text links to god knows what, none of which are actual downloads.

I need something called Queen's Gambit and the link to that does not work. When i try to purchase via the provided link, it says that section has been disabled.

In two hours of trying to sort this out I have gotten exactly nowhere.

Think I am just going to stick with Freelancer.

Thanks for the info though.

Morgan

Tried to get startd on this and was completely lost. there are no Download links anywhere to be found in the ACE pages. Just page after page of what appears to be some sort of Wiki in a section called Downloads and the section is so badly set up I dont even know if I am in the right area. In the Downloads section of the Wiki are more text links to god knows what, none of which are actual downloads.

I need something called Queen's Gambit and the link to that does not work. When i try to purchase via the provided link, it says that section has been disabled.

In two hours of trying to sort this out I have gotten exactly nowhere.

Think I am just going to stick with Freelancer.

Thanks for the info though.

Morgan

Hello Morgan and welcome. I'm afraid we haven't me but I go by X-Wind (pronounced Cross Wind) and it's good to hear from you. These patches can be a bit confusing to those not familiar with them and I am usually available to help you or any else that needs it (real world responsibilities aside). The links in the post above are all valid with the exception of OPX which File Front has purged so I've added an alternate at the bottom of this post. I've triple checked the link to purchase Queen's Gambit from the initial post above as well as the others and they're working fine.

If you have some time Sunday I'll be around most of the day so just grab me and I'll get you going. I'm GMT -5 and intend to be available NLT 1700 GMT (probably sooner). Server 3 is available to check out the features while Server 4 is strictly for tactical missions with a defined team based structure, disciplined coms and chain of command. If your intention is to check it out or join the tactical teams I'll be glad to help either way. There is a bit of a learning curve for ArmA like most games, particularly if A.C.E. is new to you which is why Server 3 is set up. You can also set the game up to host you on your on rig to check things out so you don't really even need a server. I don't know how much you've played the game, if at all which is why I mention it. We can sort these things out if you decide to pursue it.

Like I indicated the most time is consumed on the actual downloads. Once the files are on your PC it's just a matter of extracting them, setting up the folders and then building the path. Doesn't take long at all once you have the files but please wait to talk to me before you start the extractions so we don't lose time. Go ahead and d/l the zip/rar files and we'll go from there. Are you on XP or Vista? It's pretty much the same either way so it shouldn't be an issue.

The A.C.E servers (ArmA 3 and 4) are currently at 1.06b. You need some more files that are at the links in the first post.

Specifically:

Bohemia 1.15 ArmA patch

Queen's Gambit (Comes with ArmA Gold or via link provided)

Mapfact

Mapfact Editor Update

OPX (Afghan Village/Avgani (Fille Front has apparently purged some things so here's a better link) OPX Link

Sixth Sense Battle Center (server will allow access without this but it adds the ability to change your view distances and terrain detail. It of course is required for Battle Center missions)

A.C.E. Mod currently at v.106b (links are all good in first post..check bottom of pages)

A.C.E. Island Pack (also optional and mission dependent...servers will allow access without it)

If you want to try ArmA with the A.C.E. Mod D/L the files from the links in the first post which are all valid (the actual downloads are typically at the bottom of the page at BIS and Armaholic...they're not hard to find.

Don't let me talk you out of Freelancer as it looks like a great game. I'm simply setting time aside for anyone having trouble getting the mods/patches/addons setup properly.

Enjoy,

Hello Morgan and welcome. I'm afraid we haven't me but I go by X-Wind (pronounced Cross Wind) and it's good to hear from you. These patches can be a bit confusing to those not familiar with them and I am usually available to help you or any else that needs it (real world responsibilities aside). The links in the post above are all valid with the exception of OPX which File Front has purged so I've added an alternate at the bottom of this post. I've triple checked the link to purchase Queen's Gambit from the initial post above as well as the others and they're working fine.

If you have some time Sunday I'll be around most of the day so just grab me and I'll get you going. I'm GMT -5 and intend to be available NLT 1700 GMT (probably sooner). Server 3 is available to check out the features while Server 4 is strictly for tactical missions with a defined team based structure, disciplined coms and chain of command. If your intention is to check it out or join the tactical teams I'll be glad to help either way. There is a bit of a learning curve for ArmA like most games, particularly if A.C.E. is new to you which is why Server 3 is set up. You can also set the game up to host you on your on rig to check things out so you don't really even need a server. I don't know how much you've played the game, if at all which is why I mention it. We can sort these things out if you decide to pursue it.

Like I indicated the most time is consumed on the actual downloads. Once the files are on your PC it's just a matter of extracting them, setting up the folders and then building the path. Doesn't take long at all once you have the files but please wait to talk to me before you start the extractions so we don't lose time. Go ahead and d/l the zip/rar files and we'll go from there. Are you on XP or Vista? It's pretty much the same either way so it shouldn't be an issue.

The A.C.E servers (ArmA 3 and 4) are currently at 1.06b. You need some more files that are at the links in the first post.

Specifically:

Bohemia 1.15 ArmA patch

Queen's Gambit (Comes with ArmA Gold or via link provided)

Mapfact

Mapfact Editor Update

OPX (Afghan Village/Avgani (Fille Front has apparently purged some things so here's a better link) OPX Link

Sixth Sense Battle Center (server will allow access without this but it adds the ability to change your view distances and terrain detail. It of course is required for Battle Center missions)

A.C.E. Mod currently at v.106b (links are all good in first post..check bottom of pages)

A.C.E. Island Pack (also optional and mission dependent...servers will allow access without it)

If you want to try ArmA with the A.C.E. Mod D/L the files from the links in the first post sre all valid (the actual downloads are typically at the bottom of the page at BIS and Armaholic...they're not hard to find.

Don't let me talk you out of Freelancer as it looks like a great game. I'm simply setting time aside for anyone having trouble getting the mods/patches/addons setup properly.

Enjoy,

The link to purchase Queens Gambit does not work for anyone purchasing in anything but British pounds. I am purchasing in USD. Doesnt work. Sadly, Direct2drive does not seem to have the Gold version. When I select USD and try to purchase via cred card, I get a big error page.

I finally found the download link for the ACE Island pack files. Ive downloaded those. The confusion there arose from the "Download the ACE files" text link.. which isnt actually a download link, clicking there opens the Wiki page... the small paper icon next to the text is the download link. Only took 2 hours to figure that out...:)

I will work on getting the rest tomorrow.

Morgan

Hi Morgan

Xwind has been hampered because our propreitary download site has not been working properly for months, hopefully this will be resolved in the not to distant future but in the meantime We have allowed non GUI access.

Because it has not been working I have failed to keep it up to date, but I will work on this over the next week or so.

Dont struggle trying to make this work, Xwind is very helpful and will guide you through the process.

We are also considering creating an ISO image of all that can be used to bring a person from 1.14 to 1.15 with all the required mods, but we can only do that when our own download site works properly.

Hi Morgan

Xwind has been hampered because our propreitary download site has not been working properly for months, hopefully this will be resolved in the not to distant future but in the meantime We have allowed non GUI access.

Because it has not been working I have failed to keep it up to date, but I will work on this over the next week or so.

Dont struggle trying to make this work, Xwind is very helpful and will guide you through the process.

We are also considering creating an ISO image of all that can be used to bring a person from 1.14 to 1.15 with all the required mods, but we can only do that when our own download site works properly.

I have tons of webspace/bandwidth to spare...I would be happy to host anything you need hosted (and provide you with FTP access..I am a webmaster by trade)... just shout if you need some space for stuff. Sparta has been very kind to me, I can only return the favor...:)

I'll see what i can do with the info I have so far heheeh...

Morgan

When I game I use my mouse in a certain way but can't figure out how to get the move forward (Walk)

that is bound to "W" to work bound to mouse 2 (Right mouse button) Hopefully there is a way to get this to work.

It shows that it is bound and is not red yet it just will not work.....Help!

When I game I use my mouse in a certain way but can't figure out how to get the move forward (Walk)

that is bound to "W" to work bound to mouse 2 (Right mouse button) Hopefully there is a way to get this to work.

It shows that it is bound and is not red yet it just will not work.....Help!

The right mouse button defaults to at least three different functions (optics/zoom/breath hold).

You might try deleting all of those associations and then assign 'w' to your right mouse button.

Associating the right mouse to 'forward' probably won't work but 'w' on the right button may do it....not sure.

Good Luck,

Still working on getting all the files for this.

Bittorrent doesnt seem to have Queens Gambit and I still cant buy it from the link provided...still get the error message.

Ive managed to download and patch to 1.14 and apply the 1.15 beta patch.

Gettin there slowly.

I feel your pain Morgan. I just reinstalled ArmA Yesterday on a new Vista 64-bit OS and it took about 4-5 hours in total from scratch. This was without having to download most of the patches, maps, and addons.

X-Wind has created and uploaded a full install pack. It's huge, but well worth the time in downloading it. As of last PM, there was no official link, but there is someone working on that. I am sure it will be posted as soon as possible. Bear in mind, I dont think this has any of the ArmA patches in it, but X-Wind would be the authority on that.

But until then, keep following the the ArmA Setup thread and keep in mind that some of the links might be dead, just skip it and go to the next one. Post a thread that has all of the files you still need and links will be soon provided.

Good luck Morgan. Not that you'll need it.

I feel your pain Morgan. I just reinstalled ArmA Yesterday on a new Vista 64-bit OS and it took about 4-5 hours in total from scratch. This was without having to download most of the patches, maps, and addons.

X-Wind has created and uploaded a full install (including Queens Gambit) pack. It's huge, but well worth the time in downloading it. As of last PM, there was no official link, but there is someone working on that. I am sure it will be posted as soon as possible. Bear in mind, I dont think this has any of the patches in it, but X-Wind would be the authority on that.

But until then, keep following the the ArmA Setup thread and keep in mind that some of the links might be dead, just skip it and go to the next one. Post a thread that has all of the files you still need and links will be soon provided.

Good luck Morgan. Not that you'll need it.

Luck would be nice...I think I found most of the files but this setup is uber confusing.

The setup page says to get arma mod 1.00... got that.

The setup page says to not get the full 1.01 setup, but to get the 1.01 beta patch.

There is no 1.01 beta patch, the version on the page provided is 1.02 and the full setup version is 1.05 not 1.01.

I am supposed to get the MapFact Editor and mapfact.

I found Mapfact Editor but the other link provided goes to something called Map Services.

The setup page says the server is at ACE 1.06b but the highest version of ACE mod on their page is 1.05... and we arent supposed to use that.

*boggle*

Morgan

What I (and others) have said before and will continue to say is 'talk to me'. Frustration from trying this on your own is easily avoidable and entirely your choice.

Queen's Gambit was an expansion pack and included with the 'Gold' version. The expansion pack is difficult to find and with ArmA2 on the near horizon purchasing anything for ArmA1 is not something I can recommend but entirely up to the indiviual.

Sparta ArmA Servers:

Server 1 - 1.14 (no Queen's Gambit)

Server 2 - 1.15 (no Queen's Gambit)

Server 3/4 - Modded for A.C.E.

Not sure what else I can tell you.

Honestly, the whole system revolves around a files system that allows you,through the use of command line switches, toturn the mods on an off as needed. It is actually a really handy feature of ArmA that was used in OFP as well.

I know it is a bit frustrating starting out, especially with all of the files and locations. Trust me, the leaders of the ArmA team, which is comprised of Admins, Mods, and general members, are trying to make playing ArmA on the servers are A. Fairly easy, and B. worth your time. And trust me, once you get evrything sorted and running correctly, you will see the benefit of it all fairly quickly.

If you want to work on the files and getting them straight and I am on TS, feel free to pull me aside. I am sure any one of the ArmA players could help and would be more than willing.

What I (and others) have said before and will continue to say is 'talk to me'. Frustration from trying this on your own is easily avoidable and entirely your choice.

Queen's Gambit was an expansion pack and included with the 'Gold' version. The expansion pack is difficult to find and with ArmA2 on the near horizon purchasing anything for ArmA1 is not something I can recommend but entirely up to the indiviual.

Sparta ArmA Servers:

Server 1 - 1.14 (no Queen's Gambit)

Server 2 - 1.15 (no Queen's Gambit)

Server 3/4 - Modded for A.C.E.

Not sure what else I can tell you.

No problem. I've removed ArmA.

OK I have told my mouse software that w is right mouse button so I'm good to go but my next question is what is the command to view thru the sites on weapon?

When I raise rifle it is is to the left and not peering down sites or Scope.

Haha....it's not easy being slow!