Ok, i am going to give it a try to build a PC (mini) monster :ph34r:

Cooler Stacker 830 Full Tower w/1000 watt PSU

XFX GeForce 8800 GTS

Intel Quad Core Q6600

Asus P5N-E Sli 775 board

Thermaltake TMG i2 CPU Cooler

Corsair Dominator DDR2 2G

Windows XP Pro - thanks to Dr. No

Will be adding some fancy smachy stuff but will have to see if I hang myself first with this build. :wacko:

will have some parts to sell from the old machine once I reload XP on it if anyone wants them

will list them later

I am an amateur but would share these thoughts with you

First always keep in mind that Kram built his own PC, LOL.

I would go for a 8800GTX not GTS although Kram and Samurai both have the GTS.

Get OCZ Reaper HPC instead of Corsair Dominator theyre less than half the price, use savings to get GTX graphic card.

A friend of mine has the Q6600 and is very happy with it.

Build the Mobo first outside the case. Install CPU, CPU cooler and RAM.

Then fix the Mobo into the case. Make sure you have properly fitted the standoffs.

Install the Power supply (best to do it after the mobo in a mid tower as the PSU restricts access to some of the screws).

Fit the Hard Drives and Optical Drive. If you have big hard drives make sure that you have the SP2 version of XP, if you dont you need a floppy drive initially.

Add the Graphics card

attach the wires cables. read the user manual carefully and dont be intimidated by this step, there are a few little cables and finding their home on the Mobo was tricky on my first build. The last 3 Asus mobos I built came with an adaptor that you plug the fiddly little cables into (outside the case) and then you plug the adaptor into the mobo, this is very helpful.

If you have SATA HDs plug the Drive with the xp into sata 1 (that board may have six SATA sockets).

plug in the KB, mouse and monitor and turn it on, Install the mobo drivers first, then the nvidia driver (163.71 is the latest). The go into Control Panel, system, Hardware, device manager. Look down the list of components if there are no yellow exclamation marks all is well.

Plug in you router/modem, wait for xp to recognise it then load the reams of windows security updates.

When you build a pc its good to keep the old one intact to access the interent and research problems that can arise.

Good luck.

The cooler master stacker is a great case to work with it has a mounting plate for the mobo that can be taken right out of the case even with the gpu cpu and cpucooler installed.

I think u should wait untill they realese the new 8900 card cos that will make the GTX card price go down.

That new card should be around in a month time and if not go for the GTS to begin with then u won´t have spend too much money on a card that will drop in price.

Buy the ram that Zeno recomments u won´t get any perfomance boost by buying expensive ones

The money u save on the ram i would spend on the Q6700 Its going to be the processor that is "slowing" your system from now on and untill Intel find something new or u win a million in the lottery. so buy the fastest u can affort.

U don´t need a 1000w powersupply at this moment a 600 is enough and a 750 or 850 is more than enough Save some money here and use it on the cpu (Q6700)

Ohh year buy the Silent knight cooler by ASUS or there Silent Square pro It is some oft he best performing coolers on the market and they look GREAT

great tips guys. thanks 4 that Zeno!

Just wanted strongly agree with 2 things there.

The 8800 - defo wait 4 the 8900 or opt for the GTS. I have the GTS and the performance is fantastic, dont waste those extra pennies when you can EASILY OC the GTS to GTX speeds. (I have not done this as I am happy with the performance)

The PSU - I have a 650w and it is moreeee than enough, there is the website 2 work out how big of a PSU you need. Another area 2 save money.

With the money you have saved as mentioned you can purchase the Q6700, something 2 think about.

Good luck with the build and remember we loveeeee pix!

Krambo

ok, i have ordered the

WD Raptor 150GB Serial ATA HD 10K/16MB/SATA-150

Seagate / Barracuda 400GB / Hard Drive

i really wanted to build a killer machine, which is close but i shopped for combo deals and overall i saved an easy $800. i did not get the GTX just could not pull the trigger on that, wanted to really get the stricker board but like i said, i went for good deals. most of the games out there i do believe you really will not notice the difference between gts and gtx plus i can always get a second gts. the case and ps i thought was a steal, the only thing that worries me is the # of rails on the ps, hopefully only one. as for the Q6600, it was on sale and i can always upgrade beginning of year.

i should be getting parts this week around the 10th, i will take pictures and post

Well welcome to the big boys club.

As for waiting for anything that does not exist and if it did you wouldn't buy it because of the price $1000 I would not go for that. The 89xx nVidia will not be cheap and the price of the 88xx GTX will not just drop, only lower end cards will loose price.

Zeno's tips are all well founded. Like he mentioned cheaper high end 6400 memory is the order of the day. I thought OCZ reaper HPC was the cheapest but I found,

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK) 800MHz RAM Speed, CAS 4-4-4-15 Timings, 1.8-2.1v VDIMM, Lifetime Warranty with OCZ.

(£49.34) inc VAT UK

we gona start a post on rigs again, im sure a few people have updated since the las time i saw them.

Quality E. she's beautiful, what are you going 2 call her? she's got your eyes.

1 more thing. Have u installed SP2 yet ?

Edited by Krambo~SPARTA~