Spartans Home

Skills and Teamwork in the Field

Xross

Great stuff guys. B)

This guy has made two series out in Afghanistan attached to some UK Infantry units, these are your normal everyday "groundpounders" not special forces etc but you can see what a shitty a job they have out there and how well they do it.

Afghanistan

If your interested there are a few more links in YouTube to the rest of this series and all of the previous one.

I tend to think it's probably 10% luck and 90% really good training, really hard training. And maybe a little Xbox...

Anyways, is it me or does the Army intentionally try to make females look boring and ugly, even on camera? That's also one thing that makes America's soldiers the best in the world. Not only are they quick-thinkers in tight spots, but they also have to have good imaginations. :)

LOL Durka. You guys are missing an even bigger point to this whole thing that Durka pretty much explained. Not only did the 203 go in the window but the snap shot with the shitty AT4 landed in the correct window as well. Miracle? Probably.

Kick ass training? Hell yeah.

Marines are know to be relentless in training, and case in point shows that it does, in fact, pay off.

Semper Fidelis to all Marines.

The thing that concerns me is you cannot unarm that AT it has to be fired after arming, is that normal for AT? It sounds dumb to me I thought all weapons could be unloaded and made safe even a sword can be sheathed for crisakes.

True to a degree. The problem with the AT4 is that you need to push two buttons to launch it. The first arms the round and the second ignites the primer to launch. If you hit the first one then dont push the launch button because the target moves or you lose eyes on the target, the round will stay charged and you will either use it or have EOD destroy it. Hell once you do fire it, whether at a target or not, you are supposed to just drop the launcher tube and leave it. You can't reload it.

On top of all that, the sights suck.

Kind of like C4 bricks, eh? You have to have heat and pressure to set it off. You can hit it with a hammer with no problems. You can use it as a fire log. As long as you don't hit it with a hammer while using it as a firelog you're safe.

Can you imagine the jihadis frustraition and amazement to see things like this happen in battle? They run out and fire off going "alalalall!" maybe just maybe puncturing a low-flying cloud with their AKs, only to see precision bombs rain down on their groups, followed by precision bullets, followed by precision 203's, followed by precision tactics. Nowadays, it either takes a lot of courage or stupidity to fight the US in Iraq.

I just worry how this war will affect us in future wars when we have to fight conventionally.

You mean like lining up and firing our muskets and then alternating with the line that is kneeling in front of us while we reload our muskets? Conventional?

Conventional went out the window in Vietnam. Even the modern enemy has learned to 'shoot and scoot.'

The problem is the diminishing of actual 'front lines' over the course of history.

Take a look at modern and neo-modern warfare for the last 250 years or so. The lines have gone from extremely defined to almost non-existent. Its insane to think how much warfare has evolved over just the last few years. Many factors are involved of course such as sniping, armored vehicles, squad tactics being invented then evolving, weapons becoming more powerful, lighter and bigger, and airborne units being thought up, and this doesnt scratch the surface.

Amazing how much we know about how to kill each other not to mention how proficient we are at it. Too bad we have crazy people who need to be killed on this planet, it would be a nice place without them.

Some good points guys, it was still pretty straightforward in my day, we did nothing but train all day every day posing as a deterrent on the border in Europe.

The "plan" in Germany was that we expected the 1st Shock Army to come a calling over the border followed by their nukes and biological gear then see who is left standing at the end.

NI was an urban/rural guerilla war not dissimilar to what we have now except that the AO was a lot smaller and the political aims were more defined, but it was still a case of us going out on the ground until we were engaged in a contact and then try to grab or kill the bad guys, obviously we weren't lucky enough to be able to call in arty or air on the "Divis flats" or the "Falls Road" it was a case of chasing these guys into areas we knew could well be ambush points in "no go" parts of town in order to get them, they knew it, we knew it.

Perhaps you have seen the film of the two Royal Signals guys in plain clothes who ended up in the wrong part of town at the wrong time, dragged out of their unmarked car, taken onto some wasteland and killed?

The Falklands was the last "conventional" war we fought and we were lucky to pull that one off, foolhardy really, all that distance away, poor lines of resupply, wrong kit for the weather conditions (I still get aches and pains in cold weather from the trenchfoot and frostbite I got then) it was only because we were aggressive that we won, but it was a lot closer than people realise.

I wish I had half the kit they have now, NVG's, GPS not to mention the weapon systems and uniforms lovely stuff.