Spartans Home

Help!!!

Gomer~SPARTA~

For the last couple of days my display looks like shards of broken colored glass when ever I load a game or it will have hash marks all over the screen. :angry: I'm thinking my vid card took a dump. Has anyone seen something like this before. its an older card...an ati X800. Used to work ok. If it is the card any suggestions on a new one?

is you video card hot?

do you overclock your card?

try booting safe mode into windows (f8) at bleep when booting, if it happens then, your Video ram may be bad.

I will give that a try in safe mode. As far as price I was hoping to spend around $300.00 . I heard the ATI HD2600XT is a pretty good low cost card. What has anyone else heard. I do not overclock now but have in the past but it was many months ago. No it doesnt seem hot.

Edited by Gomer~SPARTA~

maybe consider, (for about $40 more) and get the HD2900 PRO. from what i read, its a clocked down version of the XT, everything else is the same, then just clock thing back up. so you could have the same as a $500 card. (might be wrong on this so have a look urself, its my understanding of it thou, god bless, haha)

im considering the version with 1024mb GDDR4

KDC

Don't know if you got the problem fixed yet or not BUT yes I have seen that before, and its caused buy extream vid card HEAT.

Buy chance is it a MSI card? If it is, the heat sink is not fully seated on the ram of the card. Check that the plastic snapp pins are fully snapped down or pushed thru the card and pulling the fan/heat sink down getting full contact to the ram on the card. It may look like it is, but to be sure remove the card and look at the heat sink from a side view, if you can see if its tilted slightly up on one side then check the pins and make sure they are snapped all the way thru the card thus pulling the heat sink down to get good contact on the GPU/RAM of the card. I had the same problem with a MSI 6600gt in sli. It would work fine for about 1/2 hour and then I would get the broken glass looking spikes. Msi and aparently some outher vid cards were made at the same mfg plant and one of the machines that snapped the pins down had a problem and dident snap the pins fully down, Msi came out with a service builltan about it some time ago.