Spartans Home

Worst Snowman Ever!!!

Kiwi~SPARTA~

It would seem that this snowman does indeed perform a general liquidation not only of abstraction, but also of everything that goes into it (earnestness, sincerity, lifestyle, palette, the gesture, all-over composition, even snow itself, which in the builders hands takes on an unnatural photographic aura). This is done through a process of negation.

By constructing through erasure, they literally and symbolically empties the gesture of its affirmative value and its power to suggest that which cannot be signified (ie, the transcendental). In the place of abstraction, they installs a negative theology. This proceeds by ironically embracing the terms of a given tradition and then turning them inside out or on their head.

At its best, this negative theology generates a genuine discursive tension; at its worst, it becomes a superficial strategy in which mere irreverence passes for criticality or real engagement. In some parts of the snowman, the irreverent mode of this theology has become an aesthetic shibboleth, making it an all but compulsory attitude, a mandatory impiety.

But what sets this snowman apart from others is that his deployment of irony dissimulates a fundamental, if classical, investment in building snowmen ? as proven by how laboured the snowman actually is ? such that other builders seem to practise what he preaches, while they actually practise it, to a fault.

Nice baps.

It would seem that this snowman does indeed perform a general liquidation not only of abstraction, but also of everything that goes into it (earnestness, sincerity, lifestyle, palette, the gesture, all-over composition, even snow itself, which in the builders hands takes on an unnatural photographic aura). This is done through a process of negation.

By constructing through erasure, they literally and symbolically empties the gesture of its affirmative value and its power to suggest that which cannot be signified (ie, the transcendental). In the place of abstraction, they installs a negative theology. This proceeds by ironically embracing the terms of a given tradition and then turning them inside out or on their head.

At its best, this negative theology generates a genuine discursive tension; at its worst, it becomes a superficial strategy in which mere irreverence passes for criticality or real engagement. In some parts of the snowman, the irreverent mode of this theology has become an aesthetic shibboleth, making it an all but compulsory attitude, a mandatory impiety.

But what sets this snowman apart from others is that his deployment of irony dissimulates a fundamental, if classical, investment in building snowmen ? as proven by how laboured the snowman actually is ? such that other builders seem to practise what he preaches, while they actually practise it, to a fault.

Nice baps.

I like it. The sad thing is that I understood most of it. For the rest, theres what we like to call a dictionary.

Good one.

• 1 month later...

After carefully studing the large, round and perky..............................................................eyes of the young subject next to the snowman. I move on to the man of snow in question. I appears to me that the snow fellow is wareing a pair of white boxers and something beneath seems to be straining skyware. Or so it appears to me. Of course I could be suffering from a case of transference from myself to Mr. Snow. :)

Floyd!! is that Kiwi?? I can't believe you let her put up that picture!! :P Although... she is great looking!

T1... you must be a lawyer or a politician (or both) to come up with that unique explanation.

BTW was there really any need for the snowman in that picture? I think it would be fine without it :thumbsup: