Spartans Home

Next Generation controller - Black Shark

Some time ago I saw with cobol and a couple of others a guy demo using a Wii

remote to track position in space, see link.

READ

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

Time moves on and Johnny Chung Lee moves to

Tracking Your Fingers with the Wiimote

Roll forward to Black Shark & the Glove.

Black Shark

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=35202

See ya soon and special thanks to Johnny ;)

Apart from the sound effects of the switches that is awesome we really are approaching virtual reality.

Is the glove interacting with a head sensor to calculate the position of the hand relative to the switches (apologies if this is a dumb question).

On another note you have to ask yourself if you were to design controls for a chopper would you really make it so that you have to flip switches for 4 minutes to start it. Mind you creating a digital interface might be less robust, wouldnt want a BSOD in a chopper, it would just be D lol.

FYI the Merlin Helo the RAF use is described as digital it was while ago that I saw inside the cockpit but it did still have quite a few buttons if I remember correctly.

It shouldent take that long to start up a chopper. I wacth them all the time out on the tarmac. Turn on the master swich, and turn on fuel, set throttle, then hitt start, The starter motor then winds up the turbine, then hitt igniter, Whoosshh! started, Then throttle up, Spinn up the rotors, Check all gauges. After a lenthy pre flight inspection, Then prey the blades don't fly off!

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

What ever happened to simplicty? Hell, you open the door, get in the Delorian, turn the key, and ever so gently, push the gas peddle. At 88 MPH your set.

Why do we need to spend 20 minutes flipping switches, replacing chem-light batteries, topping off headlight fluid, and finding a box of grid squares?

It shouldent take that long to start up a chopper. I wacth them all the time out on the tarmac. Turn on the master swich, and turn on fuel, set throttle, then hitt start, The starter motor then winds up the turbine, then hitt igniter, Whoosshh! started, Then throttle up, Spinn up the rotors, Check all gauges. After a lenthy pre flight inspection, Then prey the blades don't fly off!

Military helicopters are with all respect different to commercial

Not getting off topic but ask any helicopter pilot, pre flight is 5-30 mins depending.

I thought it was fast, it's not a game, it's full sim mode. The manual for startup and function is 160+ pages & 380+ pages.

read them ;)

http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3038

Welcome to full on simulation combat......

On topic, the glove holds a infa red light source that a infa red camera see's (the Wii remote), software

calcs the position. In black Shark the Johnny Leee software is used to send key binds in relation to position at the glove/screen.

Black shark cockpit is full sim. All switches function.

• 10 months later...

IIRC

In the OH58 we used a 10/10/10 method

10 mins for the outside preflight & paperwork, 10 mins of inside preflight (switch-ology, radios, stows, strapping in, etc and 10 for the actual startup/warm-up and pre-taxi checks...unless you're 5000 feet above sea level and below 40 degrees F; then we allowed an extra 10 mins for additional warm up.

give or take a few mins.

Military helicopters are with all respect different to commercial

Not getting off topic but ask any helicopter pilot, pre flight is 5-30 mins depending.

I thought it was fast, it's not a game, it's full sim mode. The manual for startup and function is 160+ pages & 380+ pages.

read them ;)

http://www.legionofspartans.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3038

Welcome to full on simulation combat......

On topic, the glove holds a infa red light source that a infa red camera see's (the Wii remote), software

calcs the position. In black Shark the Johnny Leee software is used to send key binds in relation to position at the glove/screen.

Black shark cockpit is full sim. All switches function.