Spartans Home

Wireless Connection

MUTILATER

Well the time has come, my old trusty ISDN line gets cut off first week of December and I must move to a new wireless service that i hope will be just as stable as the old faithful ISDN was for over a decade.

However since i still live in the Outback i suppose i should be grateful i can even obtain an internet connection at all. As many of you know game play can be frustrating when having a 128/128k connection coupled to a ping of anywhere up to 450ms.

Well that is about to change ... No i didn't move house i just got converted to a faster service, but it also has it's drawbacks as well ... SOB Sob ... my leeching days have come to a brief end for the mean time as i now have a considerably lower data amount per month, Just have to change my ways of doing things and moderate my data consumption.

The new connection that will be operational about the end of the month will see me on an 850Mhz wireless system with virtually no customers on my cell compared to metro equivalents and I'm expecting speeds at a minimum to be 7MB/1MB and depending upon load on the cell bursting to 14MB/1.5MB. This will mean i will be able to cope with more bandwidth intensive games and a higher TS bandwidth as well. My latency may improve slightly however I'm expecting around the 300ms mark Texas and TS at 350ms.

The downside of this latest deal is the crappy data allowance each month ... So you get a bonus in a way as i might not be around for most of the month as excess data is charged at a fucking insane 25 cents per MB, I wish they just shaped me to like 128/128 for the rest of the month so i could leech at will ... maybe in the near future when some competition comes around maybe next year.

There is other bright points as there is a lot of unmetered content available also of which there game servers i will be using so this will be a bonus as well. I can D/L pay for movies and stuff like this cheaper than driving to the DVD rental shop.

However I'm going to feel my throat is cut regardless, be nice to have the speed but no data allowance sorta defeats the purpose of broadband in a sense. Time will hopefully see more allowance and back to my old habits once again.

The deal cam included with a 4 port GB hub gateway with a wireless hub on top. Managed to screw em for a half price deal for the first 12 months and free changeover from digital back to PSTN for my phone systems as well. The only bit i could not get them to pay for is an external antenna that i probably don't require for "Service" but if i want the speed i want to see a full 5 bar signal strength. So i will ensure i have the most stability i can, and the best possible speed by including a 15 element high gain Yagi antenna on the roof. I shall try to get a rebate for antenna installation down the track just because i consider for this cost per month for the product i should get a full signal strength not some half hearted patchy signal.

Since this system is new in Australia and no competition in my area yet, you suffer a premium price however in a few years i may just have a metropolitan comparable product just in a wireless version. They predict that this service in another 12 months will be running at 30MB/5MB wouldn't that be nice .... so long as i got 500GB data allowance.

Anyway there is my news for the present point in time.

L8R :P