Spartans Home

Large Hadron Collider at CERN on the Franco/Swiss Border

Zeno~SPARTA~

Professor Custard, excellent information. In November last year a collision energy of 2.36 Tev was achieved, the LHC can achieve 7 Tev (3.5Tev per particle beam)

[Edit It is designed to achieve 7 Tev per beam]

Ahem

The energy you are refering to is the energy used by the eletromagnets to accelerate the particle beams and also to stear and focus them the energy I was refering to is the energy created at the collision.

I wouldn't want to pay there electric bill.

I think your example would be closer to fission than fusion. I always think of fusion as clean and fission as dirty (Taco Bell + alcohol) definitely create loud and malodorous reactions, consequently fission.

Whatever it is, it is destructive to man and doesn't even work for peaceful energy use.

Professor,

Caveat - everything I write here is based on reading the internet and utilising my 6 O - levels to interpret.

everything I have read states that the previous record has been broken twice, once at 1.18 (in Nov 2009) and once at 2.36 in (Dec 200). I am sure they were collision energies. My impression is that the energies they are referring to are beam energies (probably the limits that the magnets are capable of steering as opposed to the energy they consume).

My research though is not as good as being enlightened by someone who know what he is talking about, my brain has practically melted from reading this stuff.

You Guys with all your fancy smancy talk...next thing you'll be telling me is that "there is no Flux Capacitors, Warp Drive Engines or Teleporters", which I know is BS because I saw them work at the movies know they're real...it just the CIA doesn't want us to have them yet!

Lets see that LHC thingy go back in time! Huh...can it do that?

:P

If ever the world is to discover ways of living up to the dreams of science fiction it will be these guys or people like them that will achieve it.

One of the great things about this forum is that I get to learn a lot of new things, as when someone refers to something I often read up on it to better understand it.

I am therefore enriched by the forum.

Q said, "I can go where ever I want, when ever I want." However this is only placed into perspective by what Sammy Hagar said, which was "I can't drive 55!" Therefore, while limitations exist in reality, in fiction, they do not. What we need to figure out is how to meld fictional reality and real reality together.

Eistein who?

Of course Medic you are right, but I like to think that anything that is in the realm of a thoughtful persons imagination may be attainable. Science fiction often tries to create a reasonable estimation of the future based on extrapolation of current trends. Science fantasy obviously does not. Q, whilst entertaining represents the fantasy in Star Trek. But when one looks at the works of H.G Wells and Jules Verne much of their imagined world is our reality. Who knows what the future holds.

Anyway I prefer to think of a cheery future where we can visit strange new worlds than spend too much time thinking about the recession, financial crises and global misery of which I am reminded everytime I turn on the television.

Aw F!@# it

Here's my serious contribution to the LHC Thingamabob discussion...

What she said.....

User posted image