Spartans Home

Large Hadron Collider at CERN on the Franco/Swiss Border

Zeno~SPARTA~

As some of you know I live close to the LHC. In reality if things go wrong we all live really close to it, but we wont feel a thing.

To learn more about whats going on there I turn to the BBC and another excellent documentary

But before that here is a fictional recreation of the experiment

And now the documentary, enjoy.

ya... very interesting stuff.

I think the most dangerous thing has no imediate threat to earth. It has more to do with a discovery that effectively

"lets the Genie out of the bottle" again like what happened with nukes in the 40's.

They also could blow up a few things... but nothing that could reach the surface. (ie. a magnet)

Watching this with great interest, someday I may even understand some of it.

I heard an interview today and the guy was saying how well it started and only taking one hour to get stuff doing a circuit they thought that was going to take much longer.

Beeing able to see back into time at the beginning of it all is incredible stuff. Or should we look back that far. I have stood in the same room with particle accelatiors at the university of maryland phyisics dept. But i think this machine they are talking about is 7 miles in dieameter, the largest one ever built. But what they do with this thing is accelerate particles to the speed of light and collide them into outher paticles and analize what comes from the collisions as the particles become atoms wile breaking down into their trace elements. I don't think it will open up a black hole. This might explain some of what it does.

Read this!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_accelerator

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

I haven't been reading much about this, but I listened to my 8 year old & 10 year old discussing it yesterday. They started asking if it really would be the end of the world when they turned the machine on. I had to laugh when the 8 year old said he didn't want to wake up in the morning & find out he was dead.

This is what they say about the black hole if one is produced

Black hole production

Related terms:

Safety of particle collisions

In the future, the possibility of black hole production at the highest energy accelerators may arise, if certain predictions of superstring theory are accurate.[5][6] These concerns have been particularly acute recently in connection with the LHC, which will begin operation in 2008. If they are produced, it is thought that black holes would evaporate extremely quickly via Bekenstein-Hawking radiation. However, the existence of the Bekenstein-Hawking radiation is controversial.[7] It is also thought that an analogy between colliders and cosmic rays demonstrates collider safety. If colliders can produce black holes, cosmic rays (and particularly ultra-high-energy cosmic rays, UHECRs) should have been producing them for eons, and they have yet to harm us.[8] However, to conserve energy and momentum, any black holes created in a collision between an UHECR and local matter would itself necessarily be produced moving at relativistic speed with respect to the Earth, and should therefore immediately escape into space, as its accretion and growth rate should be very slow. BHs produced in colliders (with components of equal mass) would have some chance of having a velocity less than Earth escape velocity, 11.2 km per sec, and would be liable to capture and subsequent growth. However, if stable micro black holes are produced, they will grow far too slowly to cause any noticeable macroscopic effects within the natural lifetime of the solar system.[9]

lol well to think we will never know if it does become a black hole cos time will get slowed down so much itll basicly be at a standstill (due to the large gravty) and tecnily we will live for 1000's of years before we die.

Although time may slow relative to the external universe, for us it will be all be over in millisecond.

It's all relative, lol.

I have been waiting for the schoolboy mispelling of Hadron, but everyone has resisted lol.

• 1 year later...

I spent a couple of hours tonight at a local school with my son for a talk by Dr Glenn Patrick, FInstP, FRAS who is working on one of the experiments at Cerne.

Talk was full of quarks and stuff even a little string theory, before this I thought all this quantum shite was beyond all comprehension for a luddite like myself how wrong was I. Ok so you can stick the formulae were the sun don't shine but I learnt a fair bit about particle physics and had a very interesting couple of hours.

It's enlightening when a proper scientist does a talk and admits how much we really do not know about the universe we live in and what its full of or not.

I've got plenty of popcorn and beer handy

....still waiting for the big boom on this side of the great pond

Zeno, hope your out of town when they create the black hole :D

We live in hope, lol.

I dont know what happens, its done one test run and apparently it can accelerate particles nearly 7 times faster than that. They are trying to recreate conditions that existed just after big bang. I am sure all will be well.

If the same conditions didn't create a Black Hole Billions of years ago (or 6,000 if you're a wacko/crazy Young Earth Creationist), why should it create one now?

If the same conditions didn't create a Black Hole Billions of years ago (or 6,000 if you're a wacko/crazy Young Earth Creationist), why should it create one now?

The big bang created everything that exists today, including black holes.

But listen I just think its an experiment I dont believe anything other than the advancement of humankind knowledge will come from it.

Ahem

The LHC is only the last part of the accelerator process the protons start in a linear accelerator then are sent to the LHCs predesessors and then finally the LHC and they will achieve a max speed 0.999999999994 (approx) of light.

It's pretty much accepted as fact by the big brained at CERN that Einstein was right and only light can achieve light speed.

When the protons collide at max speed they are expected to create an energy of 1.4Tev and mini black holes may be created and will decay in the same way other things like the theoretical Higgs particle will decay.

The largest collider until the LHC is in the US and it has already achieved collisions creating energy of 1.1Tev.

When they are bored with the Protons they are gonna have a go at bashing Gold and Lead and if it all starts to go tits up and the beams stop behaving they fire the beams into a 0.5mile + long lump of graphite to absorb the energy cos they don't want it burning holes in there experiments or the Swiss/French living 100M above the LHC.

:P