Spartans Home

Favorite videogame of ALL time...

MedicSN6

I was reading an article on gamesradar.com earlier today. It was about how video games, when played long enough, actually have an affect on how their players perceive the world. More specifically, how our brains try to place in-game logic and play into reality. (It doesnt work very well.) One of the sections was on the "Tetris affect." How mundane repetition really messes with the players head almost cause hallucinogens, if the game is played long enough.

This sparked my interests and I got to thinking about the ways video games have affected my 'reality,' (I dont really have a reality, but it sounds good in theory ;) .) The one game that popped straight in to my head was Dr. Mario for the 8-bit NES. I used to play this game so much that I would dream about it and I remember having woken up in a sweat because the screen filled up. Ahhh, the good ol' days.

I really wish I had that old NES box still, just to fire up Dr. Mario and take a step back into those horribly awkward middle-school days. This game, however, comes in at a very close second to one that I am sure a lot of people may vote for. In 2001 a video game graced the shelves of the world and forever changed the first person shooter genre. Adding squads to military style games, as well as teamwork and a built in mission editor, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, paved a four lane interstate through PC gaming. Some would argue that Rainbow Six started it all, and in truth it did, but were talking apples and oranges here. Ghost Recon could seamlessly be played at any different level of gaming and took less than 5 mouse clicks to change the way we could play. From simple run and gun to highly tactical, slow and low with Teamspeak comms, ever FPS PC gamer had a safe-haven in Ghost Recon. Not only was the game play excellent, the interface as well as the editor were years ahead of other major titles at the time and and in most cases years ahead of major titles today. It's a damned shame that developers can't figure this out.

Over all, I would say that my favorite game is Ghost Recon and in a close second, Dr. Mario.

A good friend of mine nearly split up with his girlfriend after an incident caused by playing too much Total War (the orginal Samurai version).

She'd left the bedroom in the middle of the night ( as you do) and on her return, he'd partially woken from a dream about said game, and thinking she was an assassin sent to attack him, he started shouting and screaming. Luckily he didn't physically attacker her, but after this he stoppe dplaying that particular game.

The first game I really loved was Elite on the old BBC(B). Spent many and overnight session playing that one.

Rainbow 6 was indeed a milestone, but OGR pushed the envelope and really embedded me in online gaming with other players (SRU and =SEALZ=).

Never really looked back, apart form a 15 month liaison with WoW :)

The 2 games I played the most in single player were, ghost recon and C&C zero hour. In GR I played every mission from all the expansion packs about 8 times. I really enjoyed zero hour as well. I discovered this online gaming malarky by accident in 2005 when GRAW came out.

Rainbow Six (the very fist one). I was in my 3rd year of university (Psychology) and remember playing 24 to 36 hrs straight, trying every possible strategy to perfectionism.

Although all-time favourite has been the GTA-series (especially as from the 3rd one). I hate, as much as I love that game if you know what I mean.

I have to say i think one of the games i enjoyed most was Resident Evil on my old playstation, i still ahve this and have played it over and over again, i was totally hooked it made me jump out of my skn so many times, when playing it for the first tme and it was so diffrent from anything else that had ever came out before, paid £50 for it when it first came out.

Also another love of mine was the first Tombraider, it was glorious, to look at and so great to play, it just pulled me in and i played it for so many hours my thumbs hurt.

Best loved pc game must be OFP, an oldie but a goodie.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1LwuT3MffEw

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mbZJokuNQbU

Edited by Snowshoe

Two games that have yet to be surpassed many years later on.

Tribes 1 + 2 (Shifter Modification, Team Vs Team)

Tribes made Quake and Unreal stand still in there day, The depth of teamwork and team tactics was for it's day outstanding, The additional content provided by Shifter just made that rabbit hole go on forever, Probably the best team vs team game around ..... Back in 2001.

Did you like helicopter sims ?.... Janes AH64 Longbow Apache was the star performer here, nothing has come close since.

Arcade games: Two tied for number one, Defender and Robotron.

I could play Defender infinitely if it were not for the need to sleep, eat, defecate, etc. all on one quarter. I could play Robotron up to 6 million points, after that it was insane.

Asteroids and Joust would be close seconds/thirds. I could also play Asteroids indefinitely.

Please note that for the above I truly mean ARCADE, you know the old stand in front of machines, not any ports there may be to PC/consoles. I would suck at these games on PC/Consoles as the true and original controls rule and a gamepad of any kind does not.

For PCs: Without a doubt it would be OGR.

If we are talking arcade games, I used to play StarWars for hours at a time in the student union bar, with an audience that used to go get me drinks......

Dog Fight with Tie Fughters and Darth Vader in space, then drop down to the surface of the Death Star and shoot out all the Laser Towers before running the gauntlet of the trench and shooting the proton torpedo into the exhaust port...awesome

IPB Image

IPB Image

There's a bunch no doubt. But the Single Player aspect of the game, including a actual plot line? Narrows it down for me.

Mafia to me was one of the true OG's. Outdid GTA series by far since it was grounded in realism. Go over 30mph, cops on ya. Run a red light, cops on ya. Go up a curb or deck some stranger, cops on ya. But the plot was great and one of the BEST ENDINGS to a game Ive played. Shocked me too because usually I cant stand 3rd person shooters. Shame they focused too much on the Driving. You can tell from the trailer alone its production value. Still looks good after 6 years, cant wait for its sequel, MAFIA 2 next year.

MAFIA

As far as Single Player plot MARRIED to Multiplayer goes? Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory hands down. Classic single story plot but the added element of those 6 coop mission you could play with a buddy that actually tied into the single player was outstanding. Shame the console had to ruin it's encore of Double Agent, now that was crud! Heres a clip from the CoOp mode. You dont have to watch the whole thing but you get the idea.

When you did CoOp on expert mode, which we did :P, you only get the camera pistol - no weapons. Made for some intense fun, and ingenious how they meshed it with single player. For example is fast forward to 9:15 when in CoOp it comes over the radio the location of their target, that's obtained by Fisher's guest. In Single player, you have to secure a Special Ops Soldier without killing him to obtain that info - then the com's are from the reverse. Game is littered with those types of moments.

Never seen a game do that before, or after. Shame cause it made it that more epic.

Chaos Theory

Sorry Viiiper, didnt know how to show the footage like in your post, so I just created the link. [media] tag doesnt seem to work, sorry only way Im used to doing it :unsure:

Edited by Seven

OGR, without a doubt.

First game I ever played was original Doom, I have that to blame for endless hours in front of the pc!

Big tombraider fan too, can't beat playing a bird with big guns! :D

Edited by BPR_Watchman