Spartans Home

Cycling up Mont Ventoux (Done July 20th 2009)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The show was on National geografic science channel, I wacthed the show and that composit fiber bike is 20% lighter then any aluminum or titainam bike made, and sence its lighter, the load on your mussels is less, they measured it on a dynometer in a labtory wind tunnel simulating the same conditions, and found the lighter bike had a clear advantage over the outhers as far as amount of force required was less and rider could go longer and was less tired then the outher bikes tested. Wacth that channel, very cool stuff on there. You can lift the bike with one finger is so light. But if you don't bleave me wacth the nat geo channel. Its the same bike Lance Armstrong won on.

http://www.trekbikes.com/fr/fr/

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/...es/meet_madone/

Did i happen to say The bike that WON the tor defrance. enough said.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

No one is doubting you A.

But

1 - One thing I know for sure is that bicycles do not win anything, on a push bike it is the strength (muscular and will power) of the person that makes them win

2 - even if the bike weighed nothing (a 9.5 kilo saving) I could lose that weight, it would be better for me and I would use a lot less energy)

Having said that if you took 2 identical people (in every sense) the one on the better bike would win.

Finally, it would cost more than 10 times the price of my bike, which even if I did have the money, I would never pay, lol.

The show was on National geografic science channel, I wacthed the show and that composit fiber bike is 20% lighter then any aluminum or titainam bike made, and sence its lighter, the load on your mussels is less, they measured it on a dynometer in a labtory wind tunnel simulating the same conditions, and found the lighter bike had a clear advantage over the outhers as far as amount of force required was less and rider could go longer and was less tired then the outher bikes tested. Wacth that channel, very cool stuff on there. You can lift the bike with one finger is so light. But if you don't bleave me wacth the nat geo channel. Its the same bike Lance Armstrong won on.

http://www.trekbikes.com/fr/fr/

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/...es/meet_madone/

Did i happen to say The bike that WON the tor defrance. enough said.

I rather not go into a debate about bikes with u cos i have been racing it for almost 10 years and have been working with bikes for quite a while. But i need to tell you that bikes don´t win races people does. Every manufacture build extreme bikes that are just as good as the others. There is really nothing special about the Trek bike that u saw on tv. It´s just a big advetisment for Trek and hence it´s a us built bike and NG is American i let u do the math.

Composit materials have been around in bike industrie for a long time now it´s nothing new. Frame that weigh less than 1 ´kilo was made over 5 years ago. What they are fighting about now is 5-10 grams nothing more.

I am NOT trying to start some debate about doping ect. and i have nothing against Armstrong or the american bike industrie. I am merely stating a couple of facts about the Trek bike. Don´t take this as any kind of offensive respond. :)

And no the bikes dosn´t win the Tour de´France, people on drugs do and Armstrong just happened to have the best doctor at the time

None taken, Hopefully for you all as well. Better bike gets you up the hill easer. I don't care who makes it, or where, just saw that on Nat Geo thought it might be of some usefull info. I used to work on 10 speed bikes at a bike shop way back in the 70s, before some eyes saw light. never the less, it was a cool show, showing how its made, composit fiber injection moulded, super strong, super light. I my self would moto cross it on a Husquvarna 500 but I might get winded kick starting it, and changing the plug. More power to you Zeno good luck on the rides, wacth that hart rate. An old friend once said" A mans got to know his limmitations"

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

I would really like to do the same thing Phil. I don´t really think one can understand how steep it is untill u are actually trying to pedal your way up there. Spoken to a guy at work the other day and they went to Norway to a mountain that is simular and they started out way to quick wich had the effect that they needed to take a rest 2/3 up the mountain wich they weren´t proud of cos they were all used to cycling.

Here are a few interesting cycling quotes, the first being the most pertinent.

"Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades."

- Eddy Merckx

?Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.?

- Fausto Coppi

"Put me back on my bike!"

- Alleged last words of Tom Simpson who died on Mont Ventoux July 13 1967

"Escartin has a pursuiter's hooter. A big nose spread all over his face to suck in lots of oxygen."

- David Duffield (Presenter)

"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking"

- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"Excuses are like asses, everyone's got one and they dont smell of roses"

- Lance Armstrong

Al Trautwig and Bob Roll discussing the latest in bicycle technology.

Trautwig: ?If you were out there today, Bob, what would you be riding??

Roll: deadpanned, ?Something with a V-8.?

?When I saw riders with fat asses climbing like aeroplanes, that?s when I knew,?......... that riders were doping

- Luis Herrera

Cycling is like church. Many attend, but few understand.

- Jim Burlant