Spartans Home

U.S. SC Ruled. 2nd Amend. is INDIVIDUAL RIGHT!

MedicSN6

http://www.nraila.org/

U. S. Supreme Court Strikes Down D.C. Gun Ban!

Declares That the Second Amendment Guarantees an Individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms

-- June 26, 2008

Fairfax, VA ? Leaders of the National Rifle Association (NRA) praised the Supreme Court?s historic ruling overturning Washington, D.C.?s ban on handguns and on self-defense in the home, in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller.

?This is a great moment in American history. It vindicates individual Americans all over this country who have always known that this is their freedom worth protecting,? declared NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre. ?Our founding fathers wrote and intended the Second Amendment to be an individual right. The Supreme Court has now acknowledged it. The Second Amendment as an individual right now becomes a real permanent part of American Constitutional law.?

Last year, the District of Columbia appealed a Court of Appeals ruling affirming that the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms, and that the District?s bans on handguns, carrying firearms within the home and possession of functional firearms for self-defense violate that fundamental right.

?Anti-gun politicians can no longer deny that the Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental right,? said NRA chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox. ?All law-abiding Americans have a fundamental, God-given right to defend themselves in their homes. Washington, D.C. must now respect that right.?

The Opinion in PDF form: http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/HellerOpinion.pdf

Honestly, I don't know yet. I am sure the Edition of Cam & Company on the NRANEWS.com page tonight will discuss a lot of this. It starts at 9pm EST and will end at midnight. I will be watching. Maybe we can have a TS channel formed tonight for us to talk while its on. Just a thought.

I am also wondering what our Brit and Aussie friends have to think about this being that their governments have stripped them of this right. What do you think?

They changed the self protection act in florida as well, a couple of years ago. From the justifying the use of deadly force to if they break in your home you can shoot them dead now. And thats a Dam good thing! Michel Moore and the like will be screaming about this! But to dam bad! We will tell him to go shopping at kmart!

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

You guys, 2nd amendment. The right to bare arms.

In the UK we do not, our lives are no worse, We have gun crime but the law

comes down hard on persons baring arms. In the USA you guys are obsessed by

the right to have a gun, I pray the day never comes when some idiot comes

into your life with their right.

You might say, I'll blow him away, but fate never is even or kind, they come when

they come and pull the trigger when you or your friends are not looking.

Guns are for one thing, killing, a person holding a gun and not willing to kill

should not be holding a gun. I do hope the idiots in the USA don't.

Take care.... you gun crazed human beings. :)

p.s. I salute the Supreme court, The Politicians are doing shit for all.

You keep your AK47 in glod COD4 players ... :lol:

I think you should have the right to protect yourself in your home, and having a handgun or shotgun are reasonable possessions for home defense.

The ownership of more powerfull rifles etc should be allowed if you can show a need, like to hunt. I don't think there should be a right to carry outside the home for self defense and I don't think any civilian needs an automatic weapon.

I don't think the law comes down hard enough on illegally held weapons or people carrying knifes on the street. There should be fixed terms for both and they should be draconian.

Fat chance of any of my wishes as common sense is something no politician is allowed in the UK.

I don't think the law comes down hard enough on illegally held weapons or people carrying knifes on the street. There should be fixed terms for both and they should be draconian.

I believe that's why a lot of gun crimes happen here, the law doesn't come down hard enough on those who illegally carry, which, in turn, ruins it for all the others.

The ruling today declared the Washington D.C law banning handguns to be unconstutional.

That is actually a major declaration towards pro-gun efforts as it will eliminate these laws in the other

5 states that have ones like Wash. DC

The problem in the united states is everyone has been able to have guns since independence.

As a result, when gun bans are put in place, the only people without guns are law abiding citizens.

Crooks always have guns here.

It doesnt matter what we think we should have at this point, our history has basically locked guns in our lives

for the near future.

Personally, I have several rifles.. and a shotgun.

I sold all of my handguns 20 years ago.

So... that is that.

As Charelston Heston quoted "Here's my credo. There are no good guns, There are no bad guns. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a good man is no threat to anyone, except bad people."

OH Yeah Also " You can have my Gun when you pry it from my dead or dying hands"!

IPB Image

If you are walking down the street and a copper stops you and you have a knife on you it should be 4 years and you should serve 4 years. An unlicenced firearm should be 6 or more.

Some laws/rules look dreadfull but if they deter and prevent horrible crap then they are good laws. It's no good putting a teenager in prison for 14 years for killing someone with a knife, he probablly didn't mean to kill, he should be stopped carrying the knife or detered from it.

If I was allowed to I would own a shotgun for home defense and shooting the bloody moles in my lawn. I am being driven freakin mad by the moles at the moment they are like the gofer in Caddy Shack.

As Charelston Heston quoted "Here's my credo. There are no good guns, There are no bad guns. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a good man is no threat to anyone, except bad people."

OH Yeah Also " You can have my Gun when you pry it from my dead or dying hands"!

IPB Image

I am with Halli on this one guys.

We are not "gun crazed." We simply enjoy firearms for safe fun and and defense if need be. No more, no less. But I have a real problem with those people who, for no GOOD reason want to keep me from having them because their friend or loved one was killed by a man who used one to do it.

Do you blame the match for arson? Do you blame the garden trowel for beautiful flowers or a bountiful crop. NO in either case the person is to blame. Why is it so different when it comes to firearms?

As far as for punishments for criminals who have broken the law, especially repeat offenders, they should not have eligibility for parole. EVER! What happens when you let a kid out of time-out early? They go and do the same thing they did in the first place, but now you have taught them that they can get away with more for less punishment. It's just plain bad politics and it's all, money driven.

Stop wasting money on third world countries that don't appreciate what the world (U.S.) does for them and build more prisons to deal with the criminals within our own borders.

persionaly the idea of having evey one having a gun make me shite my self. gun are made to kill people and nothing else.

picture the suitation, a burgular breaks into a house in the uk (no guns allowed) and takes a baseball bat because because its very hard to get hold of a gun and a baseball bat is sufisant force. when the burglar confronts the home owner he tells him to f**k him self so the burglar hits him with the bat. home ower lives.

a burglar breaks into a house in the US, the burglar takes a gun as there is a high chance the home owner has a gun. when the burglar confrunts the home owner the home owner go for his gun and the buglar shots him. home owner dies.

the pently for carrying a fire arm over here is 5 years and an extra year for evey bullet.

well, I have guns and I?m a Canadian, we do stuff for the world too, sometimes it includes guns, but guns aren?t all made for killing people. I find that shooting a deer or an elk with my gun for food is alot better than using my sling shot. The thing just doesn?t go down on the first hit with my sling shot and its got that wrist supporty thing too for more power. But Ill give it to ya that using a SAW on a whitetail might be overkill. Unless you need alot of hamburger that is..... That?s designed for killing people, but hopefully just the ones that wouldn?t blink an eye to cut your throat from ear to ear and pull your tongue out the bloody hole, film it and send it to your family.

Well the burglar i whipped with the soggy tissue, hmm, i got 2 smacks on the bum from the local copper. Anyway , i have been told since that if i had of used it dry tissue i would of only got one smack. Apart from the jokes, i dont think anyone needs a gun tbh.

LOL Viiiper

I think for England and most of Europe the American gun thing is hard to understand.

The thing you have to remember is this.

Most of us brought up with guns are taught a few very basic rules (for civilian life) as follows:

1)Never load a gun until your familiar with its operation & safety's. The safety stay's on until you are going to fire the weapon.

2)The most dangerous gun in the house is one where someone with access doesn't know its basic operation. Therefore, if you keep a gun in the house, anyone with access, must understand it's proper operation. (that includes these rules) When possible keep the firearm and ammo. seperate (ie. clip in another location)

3)Never point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot (even if you think it is unloaded)

4)Life is precious, taking a human life is a last resort only when you fear your life or family's life are in danger.

5)If you do pick up a gun and then point it at a person, you are going to shoot that person, refer to rule 4

6)If hunting, never take a shot until you have identified the target visually, and you have a good shot (one shot one kill)

These are basic rules that I was taught from about age 7 onward. They were pounded into my head until it became automatic. I shot guns only with my father or grandfather until they were satisfied I understood and followed them.

I think it is pretty standard for most of us as we grew up. As we all know, there is always someone out there who won't follow the rules, but they are only a fraction of one percentage of the population.