Spartans Home

Hydrogen from water

I took the liberty of editing the title of your post so that it may be more widely discussed.

No one would be happier than me if the world moved to a hydrogen based economyas many of the worlds problems come from poltics and geography of oil.

My ability to accept this concept is limited by my lack of scientific training. Remember what he was saying (he died in 1998) was that you can put water in a resevoir/tank "fracture" it, burn it to turn the motor and run the exhaust back to the resevoir/tank and reuse it. Apart from waste and pollutants in the air (being burnt also) this would otherwise be known as a perpetual motion machine, which to my limited mind is impossible.

However a bit of googling reveals

In 1996, inventor Stanley Meyer was sued by investors to whom he had sold dealerships, offering the right to do business in Water Fuel Cell technology. According to The Times, Meyer claimed in court that his invention "opened the way for a car which would 'run on water', powered simply by a car battery."[1] The car would even run perpetually without fuel since the energy needed to continue the "fracturing" was low enough for the engine's dynamo to recharge the car's battery.[1] His car was due to be examined by the expert witness Michael Laughton, Professor of Electrical Engineering at Queen Mary, University of London and Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering. However, Meyer made what Professor Laughton considered a "lame excuse" on the days of examination and did not allow the test to proceed.[1] The Water Fuel Cell, on the other hand, was examined by three expert witnesses in court who found that there "was nothing revolutionary about the cell at all and that it was simply using conventional electrolysis".[1]

On the basis of the evidence the court found Meyer guilty of "gross and egregious fraud" and ordered to repay the investors their $25,000.[1]

Here is the wikipedia article (not necesarily the font of truth and knowledge). I honestly wish it were true, but I think it isnt. Maybe others with better scientific or engineering training can explain how this can work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Meyer...water_fuel_cell

The electrical power used to make hydrogine still is more than the energy from that hydrogine. New technikes are on the way to improve that, but the big oil companys are eager to buy out any patent that could damage their position, and they do.....

My dad was a scientist he tolde back in the eighties that cars would run on sunflower-oil. Kids in my class told me I was nuts untill 5 years later it was in a paper like the sun (read by lower educated)....think the oild-food war will come soon enough (not a real war but a heavy discussion)

The answer is quite easy but uncomfortable.... We have to cut our own energy needs first!

I saved over 10% of electricity, gas and water usage last year, but then again my needs for a family of 5 are about 20% of what an average US family consumes! If I compare our usage to our own averages we are about 15% more effective at home. Still I could do a lot more if I had the money I would like to insulate my house better (double walls with air replace the air with insulation like used coffe beans could save me 10% more gas our house is gas heated by the way)

As for my car, I have a Seat Alhambra that runs 1:16 on diesel (liter/kilometer) I'll sort out the gallon per mile later.

I'd like to exchange ,by car by a car that weighs 350 kilo's less and has a lighter engine. It'l run 1:21 I'd love to do even better but there's an end to my money somewhere....

Ultimately I would like to put solar cells on my house and garage, but they take about 30 years to earn them back even when subsidised by our governement. (there are far more efficiënt solar cells avaliable but guess what happened to the patent...... Shell)

I think the UN should forbid the buying of patents on non polluting energy sources by oil companies and the governements behind them.

I took the liberty of embedding the video Durka,

I'm working away, so can't do the research I like to do, to see if this is a spoof

or for real, but it's a great find both ways. Real or Entertainment I like it and it

is about time this 2/3 planet covered in water became the next fuel. I'm sick of

those sandy countries hogging all the fuel and making us pay 50x what they pay.

Viva la Alternate fuel conversion cars.

Well this is very good to see; a subject that is not political generating some passion :)

I am fairly certain that the broad usage of hydrogen fuel is not dependent on the complexity or cost of it's production.

It is dependent on it's production cost's vs that of current fossil based fuels.

The exploration, drilling, refining and delivery of our current fossil fuels are very high.

CAR FUEL FROM WATER ALONE IS HOAX

All this was in 2003 - 2006 but we have nothing new today, why?

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C8115/

http://hytechapps.com/

http://www.hytechapps.com/aquygen/hhos

http://www.phact.org/e/bgas.htm

It's a hoax, it is not a replacement for petrol/gasoline but an additive

This is looking more like a hoax the more I read, I'm an optimist but why is there no news

from the initial public showing in 2003 and now in 2008 the same. Fuel prices are rocketing

yet no news on this technology.

===================

BUT THIS IS REALITY

HYDROGEN FUEL CELL CARS

Ok on a different slant watch this, I don't mean the mazda at the beginning,

I mean then silver car after. NOT THE MAZDA !

I am fairly certain that the broad usage of hydrogen fuel is not dependent on the complexity or cost of it's production.

I agree and I hope that this becomes a reality in my lifetime. But as for running a car on water, this was on the Mythbusters show as well and was busted although a fan of the concept claimed that they did it wrong.

BTW the rotary engined Mazda RX8, which is an awsome little car has been used as a test bed for hydrogen powered internal combustion engines ("ICE") whilst awaiting the arrival of the hydrogen fuel cell. The problem is that hydrogen powered ICEs is that they burn less powerfully than fuel air so the power of the engine is way down. Furthermore ICE's are less efficient than electric motors.

Now there are a lot of conspiracy theories surrounding the death of Stanley Meyer. He told his brother he was poisened whilst dining with some nato officials. He claimed he had been offered $800mm to sell or shelve his idea.

Soon to be a film

IPB Image

Extra reading

http://www.david-sadler.org/pages/obx/newe...y/newEnergy.htm

http://www.heartcom.org/FreeEnergy.htm

Two different ideas though. The first is building an engine that can have water as the fuel tank and electrolyze H2O in to Hydrogen THEN, use the hydrogen to run the car. The problem with this is the energy in, versus the energy out. It is relatively equal. However, It does run cleaner and runs on Hydrogen, which is NOT a fossil fuel. Another problem with this first method is that you will need two tanks a protected Hydrogen tank, which is no more than either a fiberglass tank like those used in SCBAs or a aluminum cylinder. Both have their respective regulators to control flow, as well as manage output and usage. The second tank is a tank of purified water.

The second though process is to build a car that has a large Hydrogen tank (OR TWO smaller ones) and have the car owner stop at Electrolysis stations to refill as often as needed. The need for the car to perform the conversion of water to Hydrogen is moot. The exhaust is simply water and run out of a small tube on to the ground, no different that rain water.

With the engine not having to convert it's own fuel, more power can be used for the car.

What the world needs to get wrapped around it's head is that the MORE POWER philosophy is not feasible when economy is on the line. Right now, you cannot have both an 8-cylinder HEMI and it run on Hydrogen. It just hasn't happened yet. SO why not settle far a reliable vehicle that can safely get you from point A to point B?

http://world.honda.com/FuelCell/FCXClarity/

Check out the videos to the bottom right.

More on the Honda Home Energy Station which produces Heat, Electricity and H2.

http://world.honda.com/FuelCell/FCX/station/

Edited by Medic~SPARTA~

well puting water in a tank and going out driving is not going to happen the engery needed to split the water u might as well just run an eletric motor, plus you will have to purfie the water before it can be used which will cost time and money.

having a tank of hryoden and runing your car off that could work but our combusting things again, like petrol its less harmfull to the planet but is still not efishant. you only get 20% of the engery stored in your petrol as drive the outher 80% heats the planet and makes noise. eltricty is more eficent i think its some thing like 80% of the engery is used usfully. the only problem is it needs a space to put that charge.

having a perpetual motion car (does not need any thing to run off) is imposible , 2nd law of thermal dynamics. the only truely clean form of engery is that what comes from the sun. hryoden converted to engery, no emisions, e=MC^2 (engery =mass*speed of light^2)

Hey Viii, I really don't want to piss in your Cheerios, but.... The US Air Force doesn't have any Apache helos. The ARMY does. Matter of fact... the Army has more boats than the Navy and that Navy has more aircraft than the Air Force. The Army has more personnel than any of the other three. The Air Force and the Navy have more soldier wannabes than the Marines. And the Army out number the Marines 10 to 1. I like those odds.

Well as we all know all they are doing is extracting the hydrogen atom from water of wicth is H2o, 2 parts hydrogen to 1 part oxygen. Hydrogen is extreamly dangerious, Flammible, explosive. They are running vehicles on it right now. But Remember the Hindenburg=BOOM! I think the best way to go is the electric fuel cell, Just add water and you have power. In ww2 the nazis were working on synthic fuel, but they got bombed out before they could perfect it. The airport has 2 exparamental ford v10 cyclinder 15 passenger busses running on it right now.

Edited by Athlon64~SPARTA~

I am looking forward to getting your impression on the results.

Apart from struggling to accept that it can work when I read through publicity of this site and watched the 3rd video entitled latest news from CES 2008. This is the blurb

"At the 2008 CES (Consumer Electronics show) in Las Vegas, there was a new water-powered device for charging laptops and other electronic devices! We are excited to see the power of water finally being used to its potential! The big oil companies have tried to stop the power of water from being used in the automotive industry, but they can't keep everyone's lips sealed!"

At this point the concept lost complete credibility for me the cartridge is activated by water but its not the water that releases the hydrogen. This is what I found on wikipedia

"........ the fuel is sodium borohydride, a high energy compound that releases hydrogen upon contact with water:

NaBH4 + 4 H2O → NaB(OH)4 + 2 H2

A number of chemical compounds combine with water to release hydrogen, but in all cases the energy required to produce such compounds exceeds the energy obtained upon their combustion."

As I said at the begining of this thread I want to believe in these processes as I want the world to be freed from the geopolitical environment in which we are currently embroiled.

This does not mean that you may not improve your gas mileage through this system and if you do I say good luck to you. Knowing you I can imagine that you will properly document the transition and and its effects.

Do they recomend altering the timing (can you get preignition using hydrogen) can you even alter the timing of a modern fuel injected car.

Does the system produce the gases from the battery or the alternator (ie process stops when engine stops).

By adding pure oxygen and hydrogen to the fuel mix I would expect the combustion to be much hotter (particularly form the injection of the oxygen). Is there a risk to the engine from the potential hotter burn. Is the warranty affected.

If this works for you I'll definately look into it.

Good luck

Its done and it IS working! I am on my first tank and we will see! Just as a teaser 940 ml produces over 1800 L of HHO!!

WTF! I am totally pissed at the Goverments of the world for hiding this from the public. Makes me really wounder WHO is running the government.

Oh, I'm sure he'll smear it in our faces! :)

And say nany-nany-boo-boo! :P

And we'll laugh and then be happy it worked and try to figure out the process.

Anyway, my commentary is meant as a good natured jab, but if it works for him I'd like to know and would like to know cost of materials and over an extended time would like to see the extra wear on engine in order to determine a real cost/benefit analysis.