Spartans Home

COH3

Hunter~SPARTA~

There is a free play test currently available for COH3. 

Go to the Steam store page, click "Request access", should get approved right away, and you can download the game. You can't play the campaign, only multiplayer or skirmishes with the AI. 

I played for a few hours tonight, it's really well done. Had much better luck with the US and UK factions, not so much with the two German options. But my play style has always favored infantry in the COH games, so I wasn't surprised by that.

I think there are 8 maps available from 1v1 size up to 3v3. They're all very open without good choke points, so it's pretty chaotic the whole time.

If anyone wants to give multiplayer a go, let me know, I should be around this weekend. 

• Like 1

I had a quick bash of the start mission, which seemed mostly familiar.

The multiplayer player setup reminds me of Rainbow Six Siege.

I am going to have a bash at a couple of skirmishes.

I understand the Wermacht get the Panthers and the Afrika Corps get the Tigers., I saw the Americans get the E8 and so far I have seen a Valentine and Matilda for the Brits.

We will have to learn how to move in open maps and how AI react.

The map we played with Nukem yesterday was resource poor so we were struggling to build tanks and speaking for myself I dont know how to use infantry without them. However I played the other 4x4 map with Adder and that is resource rich, plus I played the American faction with an Armour general. Armour is cheaper So I could amass a small force of Hellcats (my old favourite) and Shermans with the low velocity gun, this worked well and we were able to defeat 2 standards. We should use this map to learn how to play without choke points. Also we should play non choke point maps in COH2.

As to the game itself, it isn't really in a state to decide. Graphics and audio are not there yet, but it may still be very early days.

That makes a lot of sense, setting out to build tanks and never being able to get there sucked in that game I should have changed tack a lot earlier

Unfortunately I only know one trick, build many tanks and destroy the base. If that doesnt work send more tanks. I need to learn how to move infantry in such a way that they cover each other. Also we were playing easy germans but they used their off map bombing very effectively and very often.

Working with J and Adder I have tried to learn another trick. So now I build infantry squads in a mix of AT, engineers and riflemen, supported by a reinforcement half track, an anti air Half Track  and finally light tanks. I build them up in blob around a defendable area. I keep adding to the blob until its big enough to attack their base.

I should have learned this from Nukem and Custard, when I played with them, but I am a slow learner.

This works against easy and standard enemies, I am not sure if it will work against hard or expert enemies. I lost an entire blob as they were moving (against standard enemies) to a huge arty barrage. This would not happen in COH 2 because they don't tend to use their off map skills at those levels. Also I found the AI didn't use mortars as much I don't know if the differences in behaviour are down to us not blocking movement. Since the AI can get everywhere unimpeded they may decide mortars are not effective enough.

I am not sure about COH 3, but a couple of things make it interesting to me on a personal level. My parents lived in Tunis during the war and had the pleasure of being bombed by Americans, Brits and Germans. My Italian grandfather (a baker) was briefly interned by the Brits when they got there and my dad joined the Eighth Army, but he didn't see any combat. On top of which it was a very interesting campaign, certainly in the fight with Rommel.

Based on gameplay I wouldn't buy the game, but the north Africa element is a pull. We shall see.

Adder and I were discussing last night if we thought we'd buy it or not. I think we both agreed that hopefully the play test is just a taste of what the full game will offer. I'll be waiting to see how the single player campaign shapes up, what additional multiplayer maps, and perhaps any other "new" content they announce with the full release.