Spartans Home

Workshopping at home

custard~SPARTA~

A couple of you may know that since working at a metal engineering manufacturers I have become interested in learning to use a metalwork lathe, I am lucky that my cousin lives next door has a half decent lathe and when covid has died down a bit has promised me some lessons, he was trained at the RN dockyard chatham.

The video channel linked is doing the kind of thing I am interested in, he has only made 3 videos so far, because they are short and game related I thought some of you may be interested.

If you didn't know you can use a lathe to do the jobs he is using a mill for.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0L9JUPA1ga5CZiJ1s249aQ/videos

I didn't even know that the pointy bits at the bottom of the digital calipers are for scribing a mark on work until I watched one of these videos and I have been working in an engineering environment for a few years now!

I also didn't know any of the terminology for the parts of a lathe, I do now because I have just watched a guide.

All of these abilities can be learnt, however another real problem has presented itself my want list for machinery has grown. If I ever get to retire my workshop is going to need to be as big as my house!

With the way things are going there are going to be even more factories for sale over here, we are having more and more fabrication work outsourced to India.

Unfortunately I cannot afford a factory sitting on 5 acres 🤣

• Haha 1