Spartans Home

Flight Sim Hardware

Kanima~SPARTA~

Hey,

It's been years and years since i got involved with any kind of flight game, so long ago in fact that i think it was on an old 386 processor based pc, and i don't even remember what the game was.

I'm up for a challenge of something a bit different, and after Inimigo's invitation on my membership request thread, IL2 could be just the thing.

So, i have questions;

1, After reading the forum threads, IL2:1946 is the game to get ; is that correct?

2, What hardware do you guys use, i'm after Joystick recommendations; How does the Saitek Cyborg evo rate? and do you recommend force feedback or not?

Cheers for the help

K

IL2:1946 is the game to get, should be cheap nowadays too.

About hardware, you definitely need a joystick. I've used a HOTAS kinda joystick (Hands On Throttle And Stick) and I love it, you don't need your keyboard/mouse anymore.

Mine is Saitek X45, the newer model is the X52(Pro).

It's easy to use, you have dozens of commands/controls you can bind to your stick (and throttle) and it works like a charm.

X45 (only second hand now) you can find easily for 30 US lately. The Newer X52 goes to US 100 and above.

Some of the crew has other joysticks (without a separate throttle) but I definitely recommend to buy a "hotas". It gives you the extra "edge" and feeling in the game.

About the game, it's realistic enough not to be arcade and not too realistic (like e.g. MS' Flight Simulator) to be boring.

Dogfighting, coop, bomber missions, you name it - WE GOT IT.

The beginning may be difficult, but there's a few of us that can get you through the basics very fast.

Fun guaranteed.

IL2:1946 is the game to get, should be cheap nowadays too.

About hardware, you definitely need a joystick. I've used a HOTAS kinda joystick (Hands On Throttle And Stick) and I love it, you don't need your keyboard/mouse anymore.

Mine is Saitek X45, the newer model is the X52(Pro).

It's easy to use, you have dozens of commands/controls you can bind to your stick (and throttle) and it works like a charm.

X45 (only second hand now) you can find easily for 30 US lately. The Newer X52 goes to US 100 and above.

Some of the crew has other joysticks (without a separate throttle) but I definitely recommend to buy a "hotas". It gives you the extra "edge" and feeling in the game.

About the game, it's realistic enough not to be arcade and not too realistic (like e.g. MS' Flight Simulator) to be boring.

Dogfighting, coop, bomber missions, you name it - WE GOT IT.

The beginning may be difficult, but there's a few of us that can get you through the basics very fast.

Fun guaranteed.

Cheers for the info guys,

I have a copy of IL2:1946 on the way and decided to get a secondhand x45, which is also on it's way.

Lookiing Forwrd to seeing it all in action.

Cheers

K

sent you all I got for your HOTAS setup and game setup ... if you want books/manuals/guides/airplane details (ALL, from IL2) .. let me know and I'll send them to you

Cheers !

I had a very quick game online last night, but i've spent a few hours trying to get the profiles to work.

As i'm runnning Vista, i've downloaded the latest saitek beta software, moved your profiles into the correct folder, but when i try to select the il2 .pr0 file, i get an error saying, no profile selected for this device. It's odd.

I don't suppose you have any ideas?

Thanks

K