Spartans Home

Fun with Hercs and Hueys

Zeno~SPARTA~

Adder and I have been flying around in choppers for the last week or so, trying to pick up cargo and move it around. Now we are trying C130s as well. So Adder is doing a bit better than me with the Choppers! Technically I have landed.

20211117195932_1.jpg

Then I thought I would try to land a C130 on a carrier, it did it easily due to its reverse thrust.

20211117204002_1.jpg20211117203954_1.jpg

Custard you're right, those are iconic images. My hovering skills are poor, but in this case I misjudged where the deck was and put it down too soon. I have to practice a lot to place the chopper better from the internal view.

If I remember correctly C130s did practice Carrier landings at some point. I made it easy for myself since the carrier was doing 27 knots and I was doing about 100, I did float for a bit but as soon as the wheels touched I went to full reverse thrust plus brakes and it stopped really quickly. In subsequent testing I found I could maintain a stable descent at around 85 knots with 20% fuel and in that configuration I landed on a static carrier. Then I turned the plane around and took off again using full flaps. Even though  this is a mod it feel sluggish like a big plane should, it is fun to fly.

Now that I can see what it can do I will redo the two part mission where the Herc flies to an unprepared landing area and "resupplies" a FARP allowing choppers to continue on to the Assault ship, I just need to test the ability to land on unprepared terrain, otherwise I will find a road. 

I guess a really good trackir or other eye tracker would make getting a good reference for landing much easier, I know I need something like it for Star Citizen

4 hours ago, custard~SPARTA~ said:

I guess a really good trackir or other eye tracker would make getting a good reference for landing much easier, I know I need something like it for Star Citizen

if you have a webcam (or it even works with a phone) i have had joy with some softwares called opentrack and AI track (i did a post with links) i think it would also work with star cit

Cent's got something like that and he has it working really well.

So I guess it's even harder to land on a carrier deck because there are less visual reference points, I have watched a lot of video of flying choppers in Arma and they are able to constantly check distance from trees and things. the bigger ships in Star Citizen are going to need some sort of landing camera eventually to assist in landing vtol style

• 3 weeks later...

In our continued preparation for the arrival of the AH64D Apache Adder and I have been practicing fighting the KA50 as well as the Gazelle. I added a FARP and Mixed target package near the delta on the Caucus' map, the target include AAA (Tunguska, Shilka, Ural and SA9). In this photo Adders chopper had its arse shot off by a Tunguska missile, but, because of the twin contra rotating rotors, the KA50 remained flyable,

20211127204230_1.jpg

and even landed at the FARP!!

20211127204331_1.jpg

Here you can see how small a Gazelle really is!

20211206191106_1.jpg

• Like 1