Spartans Home

Homage to 633 squadron

Zeno~SPARTA~

Blimey I thought this was going to take days nice one.

I had a thought about how to speed setup of the Radio/Transmitter sets for direction finding. I have to map a few keys but I think I can get all the buttons in the right position with voice attack I will just have to manually tune to the correct frequency on the Radio Reciever and manually turn up the volume.

Using the loop Antenna to focus on the beacon is allways going to be a manual task as it should be.

I can also map the keys for adjusting Meter Balance and Meter Amplitude this will speed up setup of the visual method.

Zeno has resolved the issues with the mission and we now have a perfect signal when tuned in to a directional beacon :)

Really looking forward to a run at the mission with everything radio wise working, first go I will stay in the lead aircraft as Navigator after this if requested I will have a go at swopping aircraft setting the direction finding up in each and when leaving target will swop aircraft again as many times as I can to 'find' a heading for each aircraft then return to lead aircraft.

I have done some reading on Chucks guide, regarding 'Audio' and 'Visual' direction finding methods and why you may choose one over the other.

When using the 'Audio' method you use the Transmitter/Radio sets to locate the directional beacon and work out a fixed heading for the pilot, you may then turn over the sets for the Navigator to use for communications.

When using the 'Visual' method you set up the direction finding then the Transmitter/Radio sets are in use by the Direction Finding Visual Indicator and cannot be used by the Navigator for communications.

The pros and cons are obvious if you have crosswinds etc the visual method is autocorrecting but all communications with any airfield will have to be performed by the Pilot until the airfield is sighted.

Regardless I have yet to learn how to use the Radio set for communication with the Airfields :)

• 1 month later...

Reflected has put up a new video about nightime navigation assist I thought when we get back into this it may be worth looking at.

If you are able to get it to work it would probably be best to place it on all friendly airfields.

Thanks 👍