Spartans Home

Homage to 633 squadron

Zeno~SPARTA~

3 hours ago, custard~SPARTA~ said:

Well that was interesting,as predicted I did cause swearing.

No worries, I planned for problems since the first time I flew the route I crashed into trees not far from the dam!

That did feel like sitting an exam I didn't study for but I must have enjoyed it because I have been downloading E6B calculators today :) 

I have some questions so I can do some homework.

I will plan an infil from airfield to target and and exfil to same airfield?

Infil - Yes please, I fly on the coast and turn inland because these are easy landmarks for me to see but its not the quickest route. We take off from Batumi

Do we need an alternative airfield to land at?

Exfil - Also yes please, we don't have external tanks so I am not sure if we can get back to Batumi, if you could also plan for Senaki-Kolkhi, Kutaisi and Kobuleti in case of fuel or damage problems

What airfield do we take off from?

Batumi

Do we need to exfil initialy in a particular direction to avoid enemy fighters?

Enemy fighters well come up the valley the same way we did so  the best way is east or south, The mountains are not an easy or quick climb for the Mosquito, straight south climbs to 11,000 plus feet. Several attempts have found us out of steam on the slopes, if we finish our runs heading east we will fly away from the fighters and  have a less steep climb when we turn south or even more time to climb.

Airspeed at low level is about 260?

Thereabouts we will have to test level flight at sea level 2650 rpm and 8 boost

Is there an offline map with tools I can play with, my brief search hasn't proved fruitful? If not I will just plan from the mission briefing.

You can download it here

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309262/

This is the is the relevant area without Batuni

20220119153037_1.jpg

I will also research the bomb controls so I can get them ready for pilot to drop and switch fuel tanks when requested (not to off).

Initially as the distances are very short I will just provide a heading for a set time to a known landmark then provide a new heading repeat until we get to target/airfield.

We already enjoy the game, having a proper navigator and co pilot will allow us to increase the immersion.

Sorry for taking so long to answer.

By the way there are NDBs (Non Directional Beacons) at Kobuleti and Senaki-Kolkhi and Kutaisi. If you are comfortable with the radio we can use them to navigate to the dam, if we change the time of day to pre dawn, I would just need to make sure there is light when we get to the dam. Navigating towards them is not bad, then we can use a reciprocal heading moving away from them, We would need to tighten up hour flying to a more consistent speed and altitude, I was all over the place.

Senaki-Kolkhi - 335Khz outer and 668Khz inner

Kutaisi - 477Khz plus there is a beacon at 113.6 Mhz but that might be to modern

Kobuleti - 870Khz outer and 490Khz  inner

With you as navigator it will allow us to be the pathfinder for the others who can concentrate on not becoming one with the scenery

Thanks,

According to Chucks guide it was standard to aim for 240mph at low level as this would be 4 miles every minute. I think I will forgo using the flight record on chucks guide way too many columns :)

I enjoyed watching yesterdays and todays attempts, good fun flying together.

Custard, I placed a Humvee at Kutaisi (north end of runway) broadcasting on 397.00 Khz, it is broadcasting KTS in morse code -.- - ...

Kutaisi has an Non Directional Beacon (south end runway) broadcasting at 477.00 Khz

We should be able to call Kataisi ATC using button D, I verified it today locally. I have uploaded the mission to the server and will test it there tomorrow.

• Like 1

Very enjoyable from my perspective 👍 I was pretty impressed with the flying.

My initial maths stank because I missread something on Chucks guide I have rectified this so our time too target/waypoints should be more accurate.

To further improve time and bearing accuracy if when we take off we do an anticlockwise full turn and cross the center of the runway at the speed and bearing required for first waypoint this will help dramatically.

If this doesn't improve bearing enough we may have to calibrate and recalibrate the direction indicator (take off and violent manoeuvre can throw it off) during the mission, this is a pilot only task as the magnetic compass cannot be operated by the Navigator.

As Zeno has alluded to I will attempt to use radio beacons to return us to a home airfield.

From Chucks guide the following is the Navigator role I will try to get as much as this as possible squared away, well whats modelled ingame.

• Flight Plan management. This includes leg distances, ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival), wind drift, altitudes, airspeeds, weather reports, magnetic variation, fuel planning, and landmarks for navigation fixes .

• Managing the fuel by keeping an eye on the fuel gauges and switching to the correct fuel tanks when necessary .

•  Managing the propeller feathering

• Managing the emergency hydraulic pump

• Managing the bomb arming panel

• Reporting observations during flight (troop movements, encountered aircraft, anti -air batteries)

• Managing the T1154 Radio Transmitter and R1155 Radio Receiver Sets

• Managing D/F (Direction Finder) system

• Checking for enemy aircraft at the back

• Setting the IFF (Identify-Friend-or-Foe) codes when landing

• Firing the Flare gun with the correct flare color when landing (which was very important since the light code determined whether you would get shot at by your                     home airfield’s defenses or not)

• Setting the Identification Lights when landing (for identification purposes similar to the flare gun)

I like the idea of the turn to cross the runway and start the timer, we cannot turn to early as the plane is initially unstable until she builds up speed. Turning early will kill speed,  aim for 170 mph before turning.

Using this navigating technique I think we should fly at a greater altitude to the Delta landmark, maybe between 3 and 5,000 feet. I don't know about you guys but flying low over water is really troubling for me, I tend to oscillate as I am often tricked by my perception that the water is rushing up to me after glancing at the instruments. I can add wind to create white caps on the water but it will screw up navigation.

Adder recommends we strafe/rocket the APCs on the first pass, this would help as they invariably hit me in the tail after flying over them. If we fly to the target below 400 feet AGL from the dam onwards, the fighters will not be alerted, so we will easily have time for 3 or even 5 passes. Invariably the fighters will be alerted after the first pass because of the 180° turn at the end of it. We should leave heading east along the valley and start climbing immediately. we will be turning right over the mountain range to about 180°, depending on the turn point the peaks are around 11-12,000 feet, there are a couple of points where you can turn into a "cut" in the mountains. If you turn at these you will be able to climb over the top from as low as 8,000 feet without max power.

Once we are above the mountains Custard will have a chance to find the makeshift radio beacon and direct us there.

PS. So that we all turn at the same point I will add smoke at the turn, that way Custards directions will be valid for everyone. The turn at the smoke will be dictated by the "cut" in the mountains, only turn to 180° when over the peaks.

PPS I have added 2 smoke reference points about 8 and 12 miles further down the valley, take the turn as wide as you can so as not to lose speed.

Flying higher may make navigation easier as we should be able to identify landmarks easier, judging a turning point may be harder though it might be an idea if navigation proves accurate enough to fly directly to the dam but at a set time slowly reduce height? Both are worth trying.

@Zeno~SPARTA~would flying behind a lead aircraft help with the water?

I am also annoyed by a weird voice, my own :)

I have made a flow diagram that I should be able to follow for radio direction finding so we can try a test :)

I couldn't do this without custom snap views of both the Radio and Transmitter, I have to tweak my Transmitter one as it's barely servicable.

I am happy to test this whenever you want.

There will be a DCS sale on steam soon, would you please consider buying the WW2 asset pack, it won't be expensive. This will allow me to add vehicles, anti air and search lights etc from that era.

We have a "Gestapo" headquarters training night mission which is more interesting with the WW2 asset pack. The mission is not long range for training purposes but once it's dialled in I will locate it much further away.

Anyway please consider buying the WW2 asset pack when its on sale.

4 hours ago, Zeno~SPARTA~ said:

I am happy to test this whenever you want.

There will be a DCS sale on steam soon, would you please consider buying the WW2 asset pack, it won't be expensive. This will allow me to add vehicles, anti air and search lights etc from that era.

We have a "Gestapo" headquarters training night mission which is more interesting with the WW2 asset pack. The mission is not long range for training purposes but once it's dialled in I will locate it much further away.

Any please consider buying the WW2 asset pack when its on sale.

Already in my wishlist. Just remind me when its on :)

Really enjoyed the 633 run last night, apologies for delay in start by being slow during the radio direction finding test.

I missed a very important step with the direction finding instructions, I didn't expect only the pilot being able to hear the tone and I should have explained to the pilot clearly what to expect. I will improve 👍

I really enjoyed learning more about how to Radio Direction Find with audio last night I see it's potential to add so much depth to the Mosquito missions.

So much more to learn, too funny I couldn't even remember the word 'dial' when trying to describe how visual direction finding works, I am blaming the drugs.

Having looked at Chucks guide the visual DF it is much quicker to set up than the audio DF method but it is another dial for the pilot to continually check, very much worth trying.

Direction Finding (DF) Visual Indicator, page 45 on Chucks guide.

Zeno and I have had a go and it does work with the visual method, it's not quite as immersive as using the audio method, to fix this we have some problems to resolve. There is an awful lot the radio/transmitter could add to the fun it's just learning it.

Lol, that would do it.

I you can use the selectable range 500Khz to 200Khz in particular between 300Khz and 200Khz for the new beacon/s this will help 👍