Spartans Home

Dassault Rafale vs Eurofighter Typhoon

Zeno~SPARTA~

Whilst chatting with Custard I stated that the Rafale was not as good as the Typhoon as it could only be configured for one mission at a time.

I was wrong.

Both plane had the same starting point as France was initially part of the Eurofighter consortium. But they decided to go alone quite early, however the design concepts for both have the same point of origin. The Rafale differs since it was conceived as a multirole aircraft early on where the Typhoon was more of an interceptor, but later adapted to multirole. This is exemplified by its superior power to weight ratio, high altitude manoeuvrability. The big advantage the Typhoon can have is with situational awareness, if I understood correctly it can use datalink to share information about the battlespace.

The Rafale has beaten the Typhoon in almost every export sales competition. But who knows what political shenanigans went on there. There are implications of bribery in the Indian purchase, and I understood that the swiss were originally going to buy the Rafale, but switched to the Gripen at the time I was given to believe that also involved bribery allegations.

Finally there is a carrier version of the Rafale

They are both capable planes, with the Rafale having the edge in some areas and the Typhoon in others.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I was wrong regarding the swiss purchase, in fact until a few days ago they were going to buy the Rafale, but following a visit from President Joe Biden they switched to the F35.

Here I agree with the French, the F35 is not the right plane for the Swiss. Almost all intercepts in Switzerland involve accompanying jets through their airspace, so stealth offers no advantage since they have to get close to the target initially. If at that point the target plane goes rogue, the F35 is the wrong plane as it is not an awesome dogfighter. So the, swiss who wont be bombing anyone, would be better off with a Rafale , Eurofighter or Gripen.

Over the last few years swiss banks have been in a lot of trouble for helping Americans hide money from the IRS. They have paid billions in fines. I wonder if there is another case pending that would proceed if they dont buy the F35.