Spartans Home

Ford Mk1 3 litre Capri GT XLR

Zeno~SPARTA~

As a young man I was very impressed by the Capri and wanted one. I promised myself that after 3 years of work I would buy either the 3 litre Capri or a Lotus Elan. Well I kept my promise and bought myself a 3 Litre Capri GT XLR. Sadly I had 2 accidents in it, one rear resulted in rear damage (I was hit in the back) and one front damage (my fault). I was in the process of fixing the car (on the street) so I had taken the bumpers off, then when I was driving  I was stopped by the police and received 5 convictions related to the car. Not long after, it was stolen (with my tools in it), never to be seen again. It was a bit of a beast, with a very loose tail end and skinny tyres (by todays standards). After the convictions and the theft I found it hard to insure a powerful car so my next car was a Mk 3 Ford Cortina 1600 GL. So not my best experience but I was still happy to have had one.

Here is a fantastic example of this car, it is in very good condition.

• Thanks 1

It was the British Mustang, in the UK at the time there were few engines that were bigger.

All the 250 series Ferraris were 3 litres, eventually when the Rover V8s took hold there was a bigger engine in the UK at 3.5 Litres. Jaguar had 3.8 to 4.2 Litre straight sixes. So the 3 litre V6 was huge, especially since, on the whole, engines were wheezy, long stroke 4 cylinders.

Funnily enough, although my car was called the Mk 1 Capri, it was not the first Capri. Early in the 60s Ford launched the Consul Capri. It was a good looking coupe. It was a sales failure because of the success of the Anglia and the Cortina. My dad worked for Ford, so we had a bunch of them, my dad had the Poplar, the 100E and 105E Anglia, the latter being the first car a ever drove.