Spartans Home

Land Vehicle experimentation

Zeno~SPARTA~

Over the last couple of years I have been trying to develop a land vehicle that was capable of climbing to the top of the highest mountain on the earth like planet. It became apparent that the suspension in game was inadequate for the terrain so I worked on using rotors to create much more travel. The most successful had 4 6 wheel bogies on arms with 3 rotors Using large blocks. It was capable of carrying a base module and weighed 600,000 Kg with the base and 400,00kg without. I tried small block vehicles as well but the ravines are too big for them.

Here are all my vehicle prototypes

B3B4B148604D847DFAF7673B9817E1433137AC2B

This is my latest prototype, inspired by the Juggernaut truck in the Mandolorian. The body is articulated between each wheel, the first attempt failed because I could not maintain enough wheel contact and there is not enough ground clearance. I will correct this by adding 2 sets of hinges for each wheel with a few blocks between them to increase ground clearance.

4A98ED6F69A3578256B2C11020D75654A596B742

I've been playing some survival in the later US hours for the past week or so. It seems they've done some pretty good optimization for dedicated servers, having much less bugs and performance issues that we used to see.

Some of the DLC's have added some pretty nice content, as well.

We're on the new planet (Pertam), I have my base almost where I want it, I will be trying my hand at a large block land vehicle next.

I saw a you tube video of a Russian ultra capable go anywhere vehicle called the Sherpa. Of course I immediately thought I could recreate it in Space Engineers

Here it is, and it is going to climb to the mountain peak in the background 7.5 km away.

896CF3281A5EC473B442CD07FDA92B9472E925BE

Welcome to the top of the test mountain

FDCABC4806FB28718C7D3376E49A63E02F4FDC2D

CC30CC9ADC4937BCB4255FD2367FD79CD2C5FF42

It has eight batteries and for the prototype I have added a nuclear reactor. On the way back it tumbled and ended up upside down, I simply set the ride height to the minimum and drove it upside down until it tumbled again. At one point I had a huge fall with a lot of hang time and I was sure it would break, but it always hit a tyre first. As you can see you would have to hit an edge or point to not hit he tyre. I just need to add a connector and some storage and this could be a pretty good base rover.

I have been working to develop the vehicle.

I wanted to add a cargo trailer, This would carry the materials to build a rudimentary base.

20201229103916_1.jpg

The trailer has an articulated connector using hinges

20201229103939_1.jpg

This first attempt was successful as a proof of concept. The trailer has a battery for the connector and hinges but the wheels are unpowered when hitched to the main vehicle. The "tractor trailer" combination could drive and exit the lake. 

20201229104304_1.jpg

The connection needs to be longer as the rear tractor wheels interfere with the front trailer wheels in turns. I can add a programme block with the sub grid script to make all wheels driven.

This is the latest prototype which can Dock with the base.

20201229105535_1.jpg

very cool, i like the idea of the base being a trailer and there be a vehicle doing the pulling.

I expermented a while ago with a trailer for my mini rover for the purpose of mining ice, one of the things i played around with was seting the wheels to have low friction so the wheels became more like skids and also using the thrust overide so i would control when i wanted the trailer to push, i think i had these set up in the cockpit. i put the workshop links bellow to have a look. this was very much a ice flat vehicle.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1457685277

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1457685277

I think it would be cool if possible to have a multi axled trailer with the front axle able to rotate like a bogie and the drawbar either an A frame or a swan neck

These are cool ideas. 

Building a base as a trailer is interesting. When we built the detachable mobile bases they were reaching >600,000kg all in with 24 to 28 driven wheels. My tractor  only weighs 76,000 kg unladen. My objective is to be able to exit the lake and negotiate the flatter parts of the terrain with the trailer. The Tractor should be able to go anywhere.

The trailer you describe can be created. but weight is a major consideration, I will have a go at it. These are definitely not the final prototypes.

BTW here is the inspiration for my tractor.