Spartans Home

Oscher!

Rocky

Glad you guys liked racing on Oscher, like I said it's probably my best track - which is still mediocre of course. We did stream our race yesterday but only just managed to - storms meant connection was ropey and so its a poor 480px broadcast, volume levels were out of whack too. We'll get it sorted. 

In a GT3 car I managed a 1:32 once but I'm usually round in a 1:33. The best of the guys a race with are doing it in 1:29, and I believe the WR is 1:27.

I'm intrigued how you guys had a dedicated server up.. how did you manage that? 

Wotcher

Both PCars1 and PCars2 have a dedicated server under steam. Steamcmd allows you to specify the particular game you want to download, directory to drop it into, and it does it all automatically. Then you just need to read the howto to get the thing launched. PCARs both seem to run almost the same code. If I can do it, anyone can. I have setup the dummies version where the first person to join becomes the admin and specifies the racing criteria. There is an advanced mode which is configured by LUA scripting, but as I can't script my way out of a paper-bag I have left that well alone. When something keeps telling me a comma or squirly bracket is missing I lose patience very quickly. The lua code allows you to setup a web page to control the server. 

The biggest challenge in running a dedicated server is actually having an internet connection large enough to handle the expected traffic. Until very recently trying to do it at home was very unreliable as domestic internet connections vary too much in performance at peak times and suffer jitter. The solid way is to have the server in a datacentre somewhere with access to a symmetrical internet link. The cheapest way to achieve this is to rent a slot server from a gaming platform provider. The expensive way is to rent a dedicated VM instance  and run all your own games.

The cheat way to do it is be responsible for your companies IP Transit service, and have a a server under your desk which happens to be connected to the 40Gbit/s of IP uplink backbone in the DC, for testing purposes you understand. One must know what sort of experience the customers are having after all. 

The cheat way to do it is be responsible for your companies IP Transit service, and have a a server under your desk which happens to be connected to the 40Gbit/s of IP uplink backbone in the DC, for testing purposes you understand. One must know what sort of experience the customers are having after all.

Hahaha, love it.

I Googled around and couldn't really find a good n00bs "explain like I am 5 type" guide. Which surprised me as it its hardly a new game - plenty of time for this sot of guide to mature out of the community.

The cheapest way to achieve this is to rent a slot server from a gaming platform provider. 

I imagine that's they way ahead - I'll look around as we have had a couple of people suffer disconnects which is frustrating.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Next track is Hock GP if you guys are interested in racing it this weekend.

Edited by Rocky