Spartans Home

Russian SAM Site Discussion SA 10S 300 PS

Zeno~SPARTA~

Lets try to figure out how to disable russian SAM sites starting with the SAM SA -10S - 300PS which launches the Grumble missile.

The SAM site is composed of the following

CP 54K6 - Command post

TR 30 N6 - Tracking Radar

SR 5N66M - Search Radar

SR 64 H6E - Long Range Search Radar

+ the actual missiles

When we get HARM locks on the SAM Site it could be for any one of the 3 track and search radars. Presumably if we kill the Command post the other units will become ineffective, but I dont think the HARMs lock on it.

I need Gunthar to show me again how to split the threats on the EW out, so we can target each one individually.

The campaign mission currently has 2 sites, That's why we need to know how many to kill in order to render the site ineffective, we already know kill one radar does not cut it.

Would we be able to use long range GPS missiles for this? I have tried with the cluster cruise type (I forget the designation -AGM451 possibly) these are too slow and are easily intercepted by the grumbles. open to other suggestions. 

Does the Harrier have something that could fill this role?

Harriers have the Sidearm missile which is a short range but effective anti radar missile. Luggage and Adder have shown us that that they can take off vertically with 4 GBU 12s and 2 Sidearms. But their mission is to hit the principal target, the sidearms will help them clear the Tunguskas, The SEAD F18s should take out the radars. We can add 2 HARMS  to each of the AA F18s that will still leave them with 6 AIM 9x missiles each, plus the HARM F18s will have 2 AIM 9x's each.

If the HARM part of the mission fails, the Harriers can get to the target at low level but I dont know how they can find and attack the target when they are flying so low and by low I mean 50ft. Luggage survived an assault when we were testing the chopper/FARP part of the mission but since then I added another SAM site, Even so I dont think the Grumbles can deal with extremely low level targets. 

With the proper height and speed, the JSOW has an incredible range that would likely keep you out of danger from the Grumbles. I think the F-18 can carry 8 of them. As far as I know, you do need an 8 digit grid coordinate to program into the munition, though. I'm not sure if it has the ability to work with a TPOD or anything like that for targeting, so I'm not sure if we want to simulate that we know precisely where those radars are placed.

Lalt+y a few times on the map target should give us the digits needed.

However.

a Harriers will be in position before JSOWs hit

b The carrier group is 45miles away from target so that Harriers can make the attack from a vertical take off

c Using these weapons we can hit everything with a couple of F18s, it doesnt make sense to me that Grumbles can shoot down HARMs but not glide bombs

We could limit the F18s to sub munitions version and let the Harriers do the hard target.

I tried to test the JSOWs yesterday but was pushed off course by the pesky JF17s So I wasnt high enough or fast enough to launch from far away and was hit by a Grumble as I pressed release. I will try again today

I have the co-ords  for 2 of the targets

The command post US scramble 02  is at

N 43 25 52.93

E 39 56 55.27

74ft

THe 64H6E is at

N 43 25 31.40

E 39 56 55.11

73ft

I tested 2 JSOWs at 28,000 and 300+ knots. Grumbles were Launched before I could release and killed me after release. The the site launched multiple Grumbles and eventually killed both my JSOWs.  Being higher would have saved me but not the JSOWS. Shame I had another idea for them.