Spartans Home

F/A 18 Hornet AGM 88C HARM

Zeno~SPARTA~

I keep making critical mistakes during the final stages of a HARM mission, I thought I would write down the few simple steps needed for a good weapon release

The AGM 88C has a seeker head that locks onto RADAR emmissions. It is capable of long range, but that is dependent on your altitude and speed.

Load up with HARM AGM 88C missiles, the F18 can carry up to 4. If you have to fly far go with 2 plus 3 external fuel tanks. You will need to climb High and you will be on afterburner some of the time so fuel can be an issue. The F18 has a switch to enable/disable afterburner, this will allow you to cruise at full military power (Max throttle) without worrying about whether the afterburners are engaged. This is important for long missions.

Before you take off

Try to reduce your work load when approaching the target by addressing every task you can on the ground rather than find you forgot something on the way.

Make sure your ALR - 67 EW is turned on (power push button below and slightly right of bottom row of center  MFD buttons). Be aware auto start does not turn this on.

Think about your approach and consider setting waypoints, including one for the approximate area of the RADAR installation. Put the heading bug on your first waypoint.

Upon Takeoff

Once you are in a stable climb (off the afterburner), use the autopilot HSEL to get the plane heading in the right direction. Climb to a comfortable cruising altitude 10-15,000 ft.

Turn on Master Arm and A/G

Make one of the MFDs your STORES page

Click on the HARM button (top left) twice.

Make this MFD SOI (Keyboard combination is RAlt + , )

Click on TOO (target of Opportunity) (left column of buttons)

The boxed HARM on the top left of the screen will have an X through it.

Click on Class (right hand column) and select HOS on the left (Hostile)

Make the other MFD your EW page, this will show threats

When you are 80+miles out climb to >25,000ft and turn towards th target.

When you are 60 miles out go to full afterburner

uncage your HARM (c on the keyboard) when you are close enough the boxed HARM will no longer be Xed out and RDY will appear underneath

If so launch you missile and say Magnum, to fire another missile, uncage and repeat.

If uncaging does not ready the missile get a bit closer or higher, but at 25,000ft and 40 miles you should be able to shoot.

To cycle through targets press i

This is a fire and forget missile, so when you have finished shooting turn away

There are some extra bells and whistles which I will add later.