Spartans Home

Carrier Assault on Krymsk

Zeno~SPARTA~

This is my first attempt at a DCS campaign for Sparta. We will agree a date and time shortly, I think we need six players for it to work.

The idea is that our carrier group is attempting to get a foothold in the Caucus'. Since this is a first mission I am sure there will be balancing issues, hopefully over time we will be able to address these.

Our objective is the Base at Krymsk. Our strike package consists of a mix of the following

2 supercarriers (Stennis and Roosevelt)

2 Marine Carriers (Tarawa Class)

2 Arleigh Burke Destroyers

2 AA F18s

2 AGM F18s

2 SEAD F18s

4 AGM AV8B Harriers

SEAD must launch first and degrade SAM installation

Harriers should focus on destroying the structures discussed below, AGM F18s are for backup only.

Ensure that there is some Air to Air ability, F18s typically have a mix no matter what their primary package consists of.

Also, since we are not all very good at landing on carriers, 3 Chinooks will depart from the second Tarawa class assault ship and head to Anapa Vityazevo, Upon arrival they will create a FARP at which we should be able to refuel, rearm and repair (not fully tested). Do your best to recover planes. In future we will consider that we have a fixed inventory of planes with limited resupply. If they dont make it we will be able to land the planes but not resupply.

Important Frequencies

Stennis CVN1
TACAN 11x
ICLS 15

Roosevelt CVN3
TACAN 15x
ICLS 16

Tarawa CVN2
TACAN 14x

KRYMSK

SEAD should disable or degrade AA ahead attack on infrasturcture

Beware of potential fighter defence

Primary objective is to destroy Command and Control at this base.  Intelligence believes that if we knock out 2 of the 4 structures indicated below as well as The SAM site we will have degraded their combat effectiveness sufficiently to occupy the base.

Command Center
Comms Tower
Barracks
Fortification

Approx Location 44 58 05N 37 59 20E

• Like 1

Harrier Pilots your mission is to destroy at least 2 of the primary targets

Command Center
Comms Tower
Barracks
Fortification

I have no idea how tough they are so I have added them to MP US Scramble 01 and it is available on open beta server 2. They are on the delta with the "gasometers", they are a bit closer than the mission distance but not by a lot. Please practice on these targets to make sure you are sufficiently armed to destroy them.

I am happy to go F18 SEAD, AA or AGM, I haven't practised enough to go with the Harriers.

Yesterday we learnt the following

1 Harrier can vertically take off from Batumi and destroy 2 of the buildings and land back at Batumi with 500lbs of fuel. The round trip distance is probably the same as from the carrier to the mission and on to Anapa Vityazevo. Thanks Adder for testing this.

Sam sites are not as degraded as I hoped by taking out the main Radar. Thanks Cent for testing a direct approach, I practised the same this morning, but I accidentally went straight to waypoint 2, this left me with the nose off target as the turn from waypoint 1 to 2 gets you on target. I would add a waypoint for the actual target itself so that we can see the distance to target in the hud. Also if you fire from 35 miles and turn 180 the Grumbles cant catch you. So we can do another turn and get back on target, repeating until we run out of HARMS. Each site may have 4 targets.

We could try a dry run of the mission to test it since it is our first.

Yesterday we simulated the attack as a result of which the following intel has been clarified.

Anapa Vityazevo

The base is lightly defended by:

2 MBT T90s

2 Shilkas

Krymsk

1 SAM 10 site 

4 ZSU 23 emplacements

4 Tanguskas

4 Igla Manpads

Mission order changed accordingly

1. Harriers must take off and destroy the 4 armoured vehicles at Anapa Vityazevo, The Chinooks take 30 mins to get to Anapa Vityazevo, the threat must be eliminated before their arrival.

2. Launch HARM F18s and eliminate all RADAR threats, the main objective is to prevent Grumble launches.

3. Launch CAP F18s and stand by to counter Russian QRA

4. Harriers rearm and refuel at Anapa Vityazevo and destroy the following targets at Krmsk

Command Center
Comms Tower
Barracks
Fortification

Approx Location 44 58 24N 37 59 48E

5. If necessary activate AGM F18s to clear out remaining structures.

We will be able to occupy this base if 2 of the 4 structures are destroyed.

Friday Evenings would be a good start. 20:00 GMT onwards - unless another day suits better?

I'm fairly confident 6 of us could clear the AO in less than an hour if we start together and coordinate. 

We tried the mission yesterday, it went ok, but needs to be a lot better.

I'll leave it on the server and we can all practice it when we can and then, when we are all on, we will just go for it. Doing it a few times will allow us to refine our skills.

There is no way you will be left out!

10 hours ago, Hunter~SPARTA~ said:

A bit of a gamble if I can do 20:00 GMT on a weekday, just depends on how the work is going. But if that works for the rest of the group, by all means start without me, I'll join up when able. 

Just a dot in the sand for us all to work around pal - not a must.

It was actually a lot of fun working as two groups - I do think the Comms system is a bit of a must really. Its getting confusing with us all talking over each other during the various stages of the mission. 

I also need to work on my head 2 head combat :(  very poor!

Based on yesterdays outing, I have made the following changes.

1 the 4 Igla manpads have been eliminated

2 the ability of the MIG29 pilots has been reduced to average, they were crucifying us in the merge, we need to understand why they are not showing up on our attack radars. I am happy to switch to an AWACs role after the HARM mission.

Just to reiterate the sequence

Mission order changed accordingly

1. Harriers must take off and destroy the 4 armoured vehicles at Anapa Vityazevo, The Chinooks take 30 mins to get to Anapa Vityazevo, the threat must be eliminated before their arrival.

2. Launch HARM F18s and eliminate all RADAR threats, the main objective is to prevent Grumble launches.

3. Launch CAP F18s and stand by to counter Russian QRA. Russian QRA responds to penetration of the KRymsk Airspace

4. Harriers rearm and refuel at Anapa Vityazevo and destroy the following targets at Krymsk

Command Center
Comms Tower
Barracks
Fortification

Approx Location 44 58 24N 37 59 48E

I have added these targets to Dynamic 01 for Harrier pilots to test their munitions on. I have left the mission on the server so we can try practice it as much as we want.