Spartans Home

F/A 18 Hornet cold start procedure

Zeno~SPARTA~

I thought it would be useful to note down an abbreviated startup procedure for the Hornet. At the end you will be ready to taxi to the runway and take off.

I will modify this as I learn more

LC - Left switch panel (beside left arm) there is also an angled panel at the front

RC - Right switch panel (beside right arm) there are 5 panels of switches and knobs

You can hide the joystick by moving the cursor to its base, the cursor will change, when you click on it the Joystick will disappear

MFP Main front panel , the dashboard

01 RC first panel middle switch right click Battery Switch

02 LCTRL+C close Canopy

03 LC behind Throttles right click APU (wait for green light to turn on beside switch)

04 LC just behind APU right click Engine Crank (Right Engine), wait for RPM 25

05 Uncage throttle Rshift+Home, wait for engine to stabilise around 300 degrees/65 RPM

The Right Engine Provides power to all the onboard systems, which is why you start it first.

6 Front panel left MFD top center right click to day

7 Front panel right MFD top center right click to day

8 Front panel centre MFD top center click on rotary knob and drag to rotate

9 Front Panel left click rotary knob under IFF under the NUMPAD to illuminate HUD

10  RC 4th panel Right click INS to GND (CV for Carrier), See 23

11 When the Centre MFD is active click on the button under STD HDG (second button from left, bottom row). Does not apply for CV

12 LC 3rd switch from rear left click OBOGs 

13 RC 3rd panel left click on each rotary and drag to rotate illuminates cockpit

14 RC 4th panel Right click Radar to OPR

15 LC left click Engine Crank (Left Engine), wait for RPM 25

16 Uncage throttle RAlt+Home Wait for engine to stabilise around 300 degrees/65RPM

17 LC a bit behind engine crank left click on FCS reset

18 LC left of FCS reset TO Trim

19 LC near front unlock Parking Brake

20 LC front Flaps to Auto

21 RC front near right knee yellow lever left click on Seat Arm lever

22 Look for the ALR - 67 power push button below and slightly right of bottom row of center  MFD buttons

23 At this point check INS on Centre MFD (will show QUAL 0.6 OK),  when OK switch INS to IFA if STD HDG (<2 mins) used otherwise NAV (+/- 8 Mins)

After take off

MFP left right click  Master Arm switch  to Arm

Below center MFD, below red and grey striped panel right click on Dispenser switch twice to "Bypass", enabling manual control of chaff (E) and flares (D

Cent and I had a bit of a fly around in the F/A 18 and struggled a bit with the cold start. I should have checked this page, it has been edited with the proper start procedure, especially the INS

10  RC 4th panel Right click INS to GND (CV for Carrier), See 23

11 When the Centre MFD is active click on the button under STD HDG (second button from left, bottom row). Does not apply for CV

23 At this point check INS on Centre MFD (will show QUAL 0.6 OK),  when OK switch INS to IFA if STD HDG (<2 mins) used otherwise NAV (+/- 8 Mins)