Spartans Home

IL2 1946 633 Squadron.

Zeno~SPARTA~

All this talk with Forrester about planes made me want to fly the B25 and the Mosquito. My steam IL2 1946 has many planes including those 2. When I checked my co-op missions I found one that Dai-san modified years ago based on the film 633 squadron. 

The mIssion starts in Scotland, near Peterhead, on the ground with engines off. There are 12 Mosquitos and 4 Spitfires for cover. We will fly across the north sea to Norway, navigate the fjords to a factory next to a mountain, which we will have to blow up. There are enemy antiaircraft positions dotted along our path, as well as a couple of ships and Me/BF 109s. If you survive the bomb run, you need to fly back to Scotland and land.

I tried a few times, several crashes later, I got to Norway:

Bomb run 1 - arrived intact at target, hit target, crashed into mountain.

Bomb run 2 - hit in the head by AA.

Bomb run 3 - arrived intact at target, blew up a railway car, took damage to port engine which seized, crashed while attempting to land on an island.

So similar outcome to the film.

This is an old game that many of you have. In order to play a co-op mission you have to have it installed locally. There is no dedicated server, so we will gauge interest in this and then agree on a time to play. 

Because the game is old you can fly it with the keyboard or xbox controller and I doubt that it will strain any PC we use today. 

A few things I learned the hard way through impatience.

1 Map the bomb bay doors,  I used L CTRL B

2 On take off it is helpful to lock the tail wheel, it is not mapped, I used L CTRL W

3 There are 3 weapon fire triggers on a Mosquito, MG, Cannon and Bomb release, mine were all mapped to the joystick, identify the triggers before takeoff

4 Similarly make sure you know how to raise and lower flaps and landing gear and brakes

5 It is helpful to trim the plane, because I don't use the keyboard for flying I used the "arrow" keys

We can tune the game to be easier or harder depending on our abilities, take off with torque turned on, for example, can be difficult. Twin engine planes are usually less of a problem but the Mosquito still needs rudder correction. Powerful single engine prop planes can be very hard to take off. We can turn off the torque gyro to avoid this problem. Similarly we can have unlimited fuel and/or ammo.

I fly a lot of simulators but I am still pretty poor and complete rubbish at combat sims. That's why I prefer bombers, fighters are much harder for me to fly.

would love somne co-op flying though (I probvlably will crash together with the one I flew into…)

I have lots of time in Aces over the Pacific, and Europe(1992.....), some hours in Microsoft combat flight simulator, but that was too much to learn…..

Edited by Forrester~SPARTA~

I have a few versions of the 633 squadron mission, one of which starts in the air nearer the target, so no take off to worry about. On the first few goes we can make it less difficult, then if there is still interest we can add difficulty. Afterwards I can look for other missions including for the B25!

That's weird Adder, I'm sure it will workeventually.

Glad we managed to test the hosting and get a bit of practice setting up the controllers etc. It is a bit clunky but we managed to fly under bridges and sink a couple of ships. Tomorrow 633 Squadron. We will have a few goes at it. 

1st - start in the air, unlimited ammo

2nd - start in the air, limited ammo (I think its 2 500 lb bombs each)

3rd - if interested start on the ground in Scotland, fly to target, then fly back.

4 hours ago, Cent~SPARTA~ said:

Good fun last night - We should probably practice a bit of formation flight before starting the actual mission though? 

That sounds like a recipe for disaster.  

Seeing how you enjoyed torpedoing the ship, there is a Beaufighter mission in the pack which involves sinking a ship with Torpedoes. I think when we do this we will turn off unlimited ammo and do the run in sequence abeam the ship.

Of course after we complete the 633 squadron mission with limited ammo.

1 hour ago, Zeno~SPARTA~ said:

That sounds like a recipe for disaster.  

Seeing how you enjoyed torpedoing the ship, there is a Beaufighter mission in the pack which involves sinking a ship with Torpedoes. I think when we do this we will turn off unlimited ammo and do the run in sequence abeam the ship.

Of course after we complete the 633 squadron mission with limited ammo.

Sounds good to me :)

Our first attempt at the 633 squadron mission highlighted a few flaws. The 11 second delay fuze certainly helps the plane dropping the bomb, less so the planes in the rear. There is no escaping it when we hit the factory but I have an idea for the Flak positions on the way in. I can add 3 P47s armed with 8 50 cals and 6 rockets (which can be fired in pairs). They are fast heavy fighters and can fly in front of the Mossies attacking the Flak positions, Alternatively I think I can add rockets (possibly eight) to the lead Mossies or even all of them.  I like the idea of having the heavy fighters sweep in front.

Just some random stuff.

Here is Luggs using a high altitude fire bombing run.

B19F72FC69316AB404C4AC21FDBF1F416939BB87

And here I am inspecting two ship that I sank, I should point out the pristine Beaufighter I am flying is the fifth in this attempt, its 4 brothers are at the bottom of the Pacific having been shot down after  releasing a total of 6 or 8 torpedoes.

42F39A5765E0868B780E2E01587AC407F05353E5

1 hour ago, Samurai~SPARTA~ said:

I've just bought the game on steam

I can't find the key for my original disks and as Zeno said when we were discussing, finding all the patches for the original might be 'interesting'.

Time to dig out the Cyborg Evo

Tally ho good man!