Spartans Home

Isolation hobbies

Zeno~SPARTA~

We have talked about reading and fishing, although that is not allowed here at this time, but I thought I would try my hand at pencil drawing. I did a line drawing which I then copied and tried to colour using pencils that I have.. It turned out awful and childlike. I took another copy of the line drawing and used pencils to shade it. It's not great but much better.

20200329_082607.jpg

Instead of coloured pencils try using oil pastels, I used to find them much easier to use than hard pencils.

Nice mosy 👍 have you read 'Agent Zig Zag' it includes interesting titbits about the German view of the aircraft and about a plan to blow up the de Havilland factory?

My nephew uses pastels and where I have seen them work well is for countryside scenes. They are rich and vibrant. With no experience I don't think I could get the subtle colour variations to create the illusion of depth. If I progress to pastels I will start with an apple!!. For now I would like to get on top of shading, so I will try to practice that first.

More importantly do you still dabble, I found it quite calming as I had to focus 100% on what I was doing.

As Halli said, we are lucky, because we can adapt to  social distancing but still be social and entertain ourselves with games.

As for the Mosquito it is my favourite plane of that era. I am familiar with the Goering quote

“In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I’m going to buy a British radio set – then at least I’ll own something that has always worked.”

– Hermann Göring, 1943

The reason I am so fond of this plane is indeed the ingenuity of creating a sleek, fast plane made from wood at a time when Britain's back was to the  wall. We are all going to need some of that ingenuity when we come out of the other side of this pandemic.

I never got used to using paint it was always a struggle and I haven't drawn for some time. My drawing however was ok and the technique for using pastels I found similar, mostly I remember having people as my subject. Fruit are a good place to start regardless :) 

I always thought you were more of a practical  person, I would never have guessed you were interested in art. For my part I am interested in a lot of things, not bad at a few things and generally poor at the rest. Art is not one of my talents, but I always enjoyed drawing.

I have fixed it up a bit, but because i tried to do it too quick and because I dont have all the pencils I cannot do much better than this

20200403_154449.jpg

Here is my attempt next to the reference picture.

20200402_080331.jpg

This is a Royal Navy Phantom from the Ark Royal.

• Like 1

Sorry mate, unbelievably they have put fishing on the banned list here £60 fine if caught and you will not move on. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I have done so far. The Spitfire is not finished and the Phantom still needs a little correction. But its been fun to explore this interest. I am waiting on a Tombow eraser which will let me pick out highlight more precisely.

My sister was furloughed last week, so she is looking to develop a hobby, I think she wants to digitally organise/archive/classify her photos.

Weird times, looking like the end of May before we are out of Lockdown. Apparently it wont happen until we have the antibody and PRC tests in place.

20200413_141900.jpg

Thanks. The Mosquito is an all time favourite plane for me, but in terms of critique, although the hard line edges of that drawing help clearly define it, it steps away from reality.  So far the Phantom is closest to the real image, but the Spitfire is getting there. I am struggling to get the black down, I think its a combination of cheap photocopier paper and graphite pencil. Better paper and/or charcoal would help with the contrast.

I have also been practising still life, water droplets, the hand and eye. I have a variety of colouring pencils (including water soluble) but I have to practice to get satisfactory results, so far the results are consistently unsatisfactory. Creating the illusion of depth for water droplets in fun.

Realistically, drawing is going to end up being a fad for me. It currently holds my interest, but I imagine that will pass.  But I have gone further with it this time than any of my previous artistic attempts. Today we live in an age where we can explore so many interests, because everything you want to learn is just a few keyboard clicks away.

give me a shout when you get to this level (this is actually on my wall, not the Original sadly but a nice framed poster)

http://www.kingandmcgaw.com/prints/barrie-clark/spitfire-101407

Oh and my favorites are the B25 H Mitchell, and the Vought F4U corsair…..

I used to do plastic modelling, over 300 models waiting for my retirement…..

Edited by Forrester~SPARTA~
  • Like 1

That is beautiful, I dont have the talent to elevate to that level,

I am a big fan of the B25 as well and have seen one in Florida that is flight ready, but was not flying when I saw it.

I have a few models but, dont want to get into that until I get an air brush and compressor and I dont want to do that unless I am confident I will stick with it, which I am not.

That Airshow looked amazing, I found a video with a few B25's flying at Duxford

Good shout on the film, here are a lot of B25's taking off in Catch 22

I have been practising in DCS world, At the moment I have the F16 and F18 modules, they do have warbirds as well (P51, Spitfire, Me109 and FW190), but I will probably use IL2 for those.  I can finally cold start, take off, navigate a preplanned route, land and shutdown. I still havent tried any combat.

What is amazing in old combat plane is the engine management. After startup in a modern jet you only manage the throttle, and startup is only a few switches,  Piston engine planes need more attention at all stages of flight.