Spartans Home

Slight incident at Oulton Park - flying

Rocky

I will stop harping on about this incase I'm getting annoying. But after about 2 years of VR gaming, I can now say I have found the genre that actually keeps me coming back to VR and gets me excited about finding time to put on the HMD, and it is racing.

VR racing is transformative, there is no doubt about it.

Firstly there's the improved gameplay which comes from increased situational awareness. There's improved depth perception to the next bend and there's improved control because your perspective is now full 360 not flat 2d.

Next there's improved immersion. Sitting in a virtual cockpit with the dials all operating and your virtual torso all in HD, it's stunning. Sitting in a pack of cars in VR is totally different from monitor racing, remarkable. When I looked out my driver window as my nephew lost control on Oulton, slamming into my drivers door, I nearly had a heart attack. I'll see how that came out in the replay and post it up later.

I played my local track online yesterday, Knockhill. Only 5 online randoms in some kind of formula car, formula 2 I think it was, what a rush that was, even though I came last.

If you get the chance to experience it, give it a go guys.

3 hours ago, Rocky said:

I will stop harping on about this incase I'm getting annoying.

Not at all... I'm sort of in the same boat as Zeno - I've been on the fence about getting VR or not, so I do like hearing the feedback on how gaming is coming along in that regard.

I'm not really a racing guy and never got into the realistic flight sims, so I feel like my VR gaming selection options would be fairly limited.

Which brand do you use or do you have recommendations on ones to check out?

Hey Hunter

I'm not really a racing guy and never got into the realistic flight sims, so I feel like my VR gaming selection options would be fairly limited.

You might be surprised to hear then, that whatever gaming genre you prefer, has carried over into VR. Including 1st person shooters to cartoon platforms and everything in between.

My personal faves are my found love for VR racing, horror games (I'm 53 now and I still cry out like a baby playing these), space games, sci-fi shooters (Alien Resurrection oh boy!), Golf, fishing (!), puzzlers, etc etc.

Which brand do you use or do you have recommendations on ones to check out?

I have the Vive Pro headset, with the new Index controllers (AKA Knuckles).

For a newbie with no PC, then it has to be the Quest. It's cheap, standalone, and can be connected to a PC to get better performance as an upgrade down the line.

Everyone reading this probably has a good PC though, so either the Pro like me (cracking OLED display), or the Valve Index (just back in stock).

Edited by Rocky