Spartans Home

Trying to remember the best racing forum back in the day?

Rocky

So I got the racing humble bundle which includes PC2 , wow, what a rush in VR! So I am thinking about getting back into e-racing.

Back in the day when we were doing Nascar and Dirt etc, there was one web forum that was awesome, with huge categories for all the games. Can anyone remember what it is?

Oh there was a couple. 

nogripracing.com was around for years! I remember getting into GTR2 mods and that was a central hub for all things GTR2.

racedepartment.com later developed more and is basically considered one of the main hubs now. 

Also give Assetto Corsa a try, it has a ton of mods, better tire physics, etc. Also you can run VR in it fairly easily. It's more on the SIM side so beware. You need to warm up those tires.

Note: there is Assetto Corsa Competizione, it's more of GT Cars, but it's limited for the tracks for the time being. Currently not any mods tracks and cars wise. 

• Like 1

Hi Rocky!

Nogripracing was the site that I used the most but it appears to be dead. 

I have project cars 2 but have not made the leap to VR yet. I am considering it, however I absolutely do not want to set up stations around the room. If I get one it will only be for racing and flying, I get the impression that the stations/sensors are for games where you move around, which I do not want to do. I will consider getting a VR headset this year. 

Thanks guys.

I don't think it was any of those, I kinda thing it might have been and earlier incarnation of racesimcentral or something named similar.  Back then it was one of the most impressive gaming forums with categories for all the racers, mod downloads, huge post numbers etc. Pretty sure I went there for GRID downloads. It was huge, even by todays standards, it was massive.

I can find our old racing discussions on ghostrecon.net going back to the NASCAR red sector days in 2003, but not many sites have actually last this length of time sadly.

PC2 is remarkable, no wonder it still commands a large price tag on steam. I love the HUD customisation, the only thing it lacks is opacity, so it can be toned down for OLED tellys.

Play it in VR was such a rush, highly recommended Zeno! You've been thinking about VR for so long, jump in!

I get the impression that the stations/sensors are for games where you move around, which I do not want to do. 

Yes and no. The stations do allow "room scale" games where you can move around in your room, and it is seamlessly integrated into the game environment. A good example is a submarine sim, where you are in the confined spaces of a submarine, with all the levers and controls around you - as you move from switch to switch you really think you are in a sub!

New technology on new VR Headsets means that a player movement, and the movement of the controllers is picked up from inside-out technology instead, so no need to base stations. For the best in player and hand tracking though, base stations are still the best experience.

I don't find them an issue at all - here's my two.

base.thumb.jpg.140eaa3d3cc74d369982b9c66fc4961b.jpg

If you only want seated experiences, there are plenty of VR games that fit the bill. 

Hello All!

Off topic a bit, Bmushal and PitDog are buying the Steam Version Vr this year as long as the economy comes back

and I have been thinking about picking up a VR myself, although I would like to see more games.

I guess it will really be the future of gaming and might as well get with the program.

I do time trials with my family using project cars 2 when they visit me in the summer. Invariably I lose (badly) to my nephew, soon I will also lose to my grand nephews as well, so my experience with project cars is that it makes me feel old, lol. I was sure I was the best driver in the world, probably!