Spartans Home

Good HOTAS controllers?

Zeno~SPARTA~

Everything I have read about the warthog has been good and I like the idea of providing addon grips for different aircraft. The only problem with it is that you need separate rudder pedals, Unless (or until) I have a proper flight seat I do not want to get the pedals, so I need a HOTAS with a twist grip for the rudder.

I have a couple of older joysticks with integrated throttle. What they lack is buttons and switches. If you look at an X56 there are multiple hats, rotary dials, switches and triggers. This allows you to operate many space/ flight sims without moving your hands. I can fly most planes in FSX only using an old HOTAS, but if I try to fly DCS there are nowhere near enough buttons so I end up using the keyboard as well.

I also need to buy Track IR!

It's not so much a question of money, I just do not want them until I sort out a dedicated racing/flying seat. I am getting older but of course I have not forgotten our old IL2 games together, although I would say I was the weakest of the bunch.

I have been trying to get into DCS, but I struggle even with the basic take off and landing (I keep shredding the tyres), when I try IL2 I struggle to find the airfield. I am looking forward to MS Flight Simulator 2020. Eventually I will convert to HOTAS in Elite dangerous as well.