Spartans Home

2001 a Space Odyssey

Zeno~SPARTA~

2001 is a 1968 film by Stanley Kubrik based on Arthur C. Clarke's short story the Sentinel. It is a milestone film both in terms of hardcore science fiction and stunning visual effects (for its time). I would recommend this film to any movie enthusiast. However it is a slow film with little character development (the best character is a computer, HAL) and some of the models are a bit plain. Also, this is a 1968 interpretation of a future , so some things a bit off, with that said it doesn't look bad. My favourite scene shows a Pan Am (now bankrupt) space liner docking with a rotating space station in orbit of the earth to the music of the Strauss's The Blue Danube. When I saw this film it took my breath away, but looking at this film through a modern lens, where we are spoilt for choice in terms of stunningly beautiful science fiction/fantasy (Gravity comes to mind), this old film may be a hard watch.

The 1984 sequel 2010, directed by Peter Hyams  also based on the novel by Arthur C. Clarke, is an easier watch. The characters are people you will care about and played by well known actors/actresses (at least to me), obviously we are now in the post Star Wars era so there are more CGI models than physical models made out of toilet paper tubes with bits stuck on. 2010 will catch you up on the 2001 plot but with a backdrop of deteriorating relations between the Soviets and the USA (cold war turning hot). On IMDB it has a worse rating than 2001, but it is not a bad film, If you haven't seen it, give 2010 a try, you never know it may motivate you to check out 2001.

I have been on and off watching Mars on Amazon Prime.

"In a unique hybrid of scripted drama and documentary, executive producers Brian Grazer & Ron Howard present this epic series following a thrilling quest - in 2033 - to colonize Mars."

It is ok and a little different as they intermix National geographic + Space X in a movie/docudrama to a nonfiction fiction story line.

It gets boring at times then will pick up a bit here and there. 

Something new anyhow, I have yet to finish watching it.