New Microsoft Flight Simulator coming out next year

Zeno~SPARTA~

New epic flight - South America.

Travels so far

Miami to Cancun (Mexico) in a Boeing 787

Cancun to Toncontin (Honduras) IN a TBM 930

Today

Toncontin to Managua MNMG (Panama)

I will then have to make a choice of either flying to Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina or Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, french Guiana, Brazil, Argentina. Final stop The Falkland Islands. After which I will see if I can fly non stop to the UK.

Heading into Jose Maria Cordova Intl Airport (SKRG) in Colombia. More precisely Medellin, home of a business to which I have no affiliation. Colombia is also home to very tasty coffee and their best export, the magnificent Sofia Vergara. 

This a long flight from Managua (MNMG) so I am in a Cessna Citation CJ4 business jet, which can crack along a bit faster and higher than the TBM 930. This is the older plane in the game so it has a mixed cockpit, no touch screens, it took me a while to figure out how to tune the radios.

OK made it into cartel country, although It was very cloudy and hilly. Good job I got decent vectors from the ATC. Next stop Galeao-Antonio C Jobim Intl (SBGL) Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Due to the huge distance 2,500+ NM I will try the 747 for the first time. The 747 has a problem holding a fixed altitude, it oscillates about 600-800 feet, so I switched to the 787.

9 19 20

SKRG SBGL (Colombia to Brazil) 2566 NM Boeing 787 - check

SBGL SBCT Still in Brazil 363 NM Cessna Citation Longtitude - check

9 20 20

SBCT SBPA Brazil 288 NM - check

SBPA SAEZ Buenos Aires, Argentina 472 NM - check

9 21 20

SAEZ SFAL Stanley, Falkland Islands

• Thanks 1

Last Leg Buenos Aires to the Falklands.

Early Departure from Buenos Aires in the Cessna Citation Longitude

MSFS2020 Morning departure from Buenos Aires to the Falklands.jpg

Arrival at the bleak Port Stanley, Falklands. I did not have the FAA required fuel reserve for the journey. I had to try different altitudes plus a long slow descent to eke out the fuel. In the image below there is insufficient fuel to keep the engines running so they have shut down.

MSFS2020 Stanley.jpg

The overall route, I couldn't get all the legs in but it was over 6000 nautical Miles, I actually diverted to SFAL en route as SFTG was the wrong Airport.

MSFS2020 South America Jaunt.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been familiarizing myself with the Airbus A320 systems. Commercial Airline flying is easy and difficult. The easy part is that once all the flight details are entered the plane can fly them on the autopilot. Because runways change based on wind direction you can only input the arrival/approach details when given them near the end of the flight. I flew a commercial route, Ryanair FR103 from Stansted to Shannon, departing at 9:05, the flight management system was updated with route info from the game. I handled all the radio comms as well as flying the plane. I was eventually handed over to Shannon approach and they gave me the approach details, "Runway24 ILS via the SHA transition", I updated the FMS to the appropriate runway but struggled to find the transition. I did manage to land but could not properly contact ground to get to a gate, so I shut down on the runway.

So still lots to learn!

A few Pics

The route

STN-SHN 4.jpg

The Airbus A320 in its Ryanair livery

STN-SHN 1.jpg

The FMS, I like how the interior looks worn and lived in.

STN-SHN 2.jpg

The Autopilot panel

STN-SHN 3.jpg

If the autopilot is on it will follow the route in the FMS, if the altitude and speed are programmed into the FMS the autopilot will manage those as well. If not you manually set them. I prefer to set them manually as ATC tells the pilot when and how much to climb, I especially like to slow the plane down at the end to give me more time to prep for the landing.

I have also been keeping my eye in DCS but only flying the planes not fighting them.

• Thanks 1

Today I flew from Amsterdam (Schiphol EHAM) to Heathrow, KLM flight KL 1009 departing 10:04am. I programmed the FMS/MCDU from scratch, which was pleasing. Still have not got it down pat, but practice makes perfect.

Apparently Schiphol is the busiest airport in europe.

It was a bit cloudy and icy, it didn't help that I was slow turning on the anti ice.  There was no ice on the windshield but I noticed my airspeed would drop to zero, this is a sure sign the pitot tubes are iced up. This is what it looked like from outside.

MSFS2020 ice.jpg

If you are interested here is an amateur documentary about Schiphol ATC, its quite interesting.

I have been testing a couple of freeware mods for the A320, both are attempting to elevate the ingame plane to study level. So now many of the inop buttons and switches work, you have to align the ADIRS (the equivalent of the INS in DCS) you can see more info on sub systems, such as the APU and tyres etc. I have a payware A320 in FSX and this is getting close to the same level.

There are also projects for the 747, 787 and the CJ4 business jet.

This is what I particularly like about the flight sim community, instead of moaning about how a lot of functions dont work, they dig into the code and figure out how to make it function correctly. Well done Asobo/Microsoft for having the foresight to let them. Asobo continue to fix problems with the sim, there are plenty of bugs. but for the moment I can fly the planes I like without problems. 

To be clear the people working on upgrading the aircraft can add functionality and correct the way some instrument look. But Asobo have to fix core issues. But as I said they are working there way through the issues and they are listening to the community

3rd party developers have released many detailed cities and airports and are working on new aircraft, I am quite keen to get the old large piston engine aircraft such as the lockheed constellation and the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser, or the turbo props such as the Vickers Vanguard, Bristol Britannia and the IL144, the fastest turboprop in the world. There were 100s of freeware planes in FSX, eventually it will be the same in FS2020.

The beautiful Boeing 787 flying non stop from Bordeaux to Seattle 7.5 miles (12km) up, comfortably above the unpleasant weather below! It's amazing that a twin engine jet can fly across the Atlantic and the US at mach 0.9 without stopping. Its a shame to see the giants go, but its not surprising. The A380 can only land at certain airports and need special ground handling. The 747 is too thirsty for scheduled flights, but at least it can be converted to haul cargo, the A380 cannot be.

FS2020_Bord-Seattle.jpg

• Like 1