Spartans Home

New Microsoft Flight Simulator coming out next year

Zeno~SPARTA~

No training for me.

Had a look at my house.

Flew Nice Marseilles, Ibiza Mallorca.

Figured out how to fly together with Cent.

Enjoying the TBM 930, Flown a Baron twin as well. Turbo props are easier, piston engines need constant management.

Hand flying, although I have mostly figured out the autopilot on the TBM.

I have had a little frustration with one plane, the Beechcraft Bonanza G36. 

As a piston engine airplane, you need to manage its throttle, prop rpm and mixture. As you climb you need to lean the mixture, failure to do so will lead to the engine stopping. But yesterday it wouldnt let me and kept pushing the mixture to 100%, as a result I couldnt maintain a climb, which was a problem on the 2 mountain flights yesterday, Lausanne to Carpentras (the nearest airfield to me) and Friedricshafen to Innsbruck. I have the flight settings on hard but I had failures on easy, when I changed that to hard I was able to control the mixture to a higher degree although there is a problem with the throttle at its extremes, when I push the throttle to 100% it pushes the mixture to 100% and when I pull the throttle to its minimum it cuts the mixture to 0 and stops the engine, so I need to figure that out. now I get 30 knots more out of the plane and can climb with less effort. The trim is savage, so I avoid it and use AP and vertical speed.

In an effort to simulate an aircraft delivery flight I am going to fly from Marseilles to San Francisco in the TBM 930, It will take many legs, so far I have flown 

Marseilles LFMLto Paris LFPG

Paris LFPG tp London City EGLC

I will fly from London City to Lossiemouth then on to Kelfavik, from there I will fly to st Johns, the next stop will be in the US.

MSFS2020 Channel Crossing 2.jpgMSFS2020 Channel Crossing.jpg

MSFS2020 Channel Crossing 1.jpg

MSFS2020 Channel Crossing 3.jpg

MSFS2020 Channel Crossing 4.jpg

• Thanks 1

I flew from Iceland to St Johns CYYT overnight.

Because I was flying west, the sun was just below the horizon but never rose, so the whole flight and landing was in the dark! Landed with 24 gallons left, wouldn't want to go further as I had little to no wind.

But thats the hard part done.

Yesterday I flew from Niagara to Detroit, or at least that was the intention. On the way, whilst at 10,000 ft I was hit by a severe wind sheer, so severe the nose pitched straight up until it stalled then dived and finally recovered. I was in autopilot so I let the plane recover itself only managing the speed in the dive. The 10 minutes later it happened again, but much worse. This time the plane almost looped and was tossed about so violently it exceeded its stress limits and broke up. Trying again today.

I didnt enjoy this feature but appreciate that its in the sim.

Into the Storm!

1730064169_Screenshot(20).thumb.png.30b5381d7d8f1246a6523e804f512299.png

1730064169_Screenshot(20).thumb.png.30b5381d7d8f1246a6523e804f512299.png

1430905950_Screenshot(24).thumb.png.cb2efe1efe2d54bde22986c2561924c9.png

412247085_Screenshot(25).thumb.png.9c61fe54666382caaf54f38816e0a20c.png

667154253_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.bb0e07d0e83d053da96d988b4df28fcd.png

Flying from St Johns to Portland through a weather system at 28,000ft.  Manual flying on Instruments only for about 20 minutes as the AP kept trying to roll the aircraft.

Edited by Cent~SPARTA~
  • Like 1

A little trip from Cairo to Luxor with Cent.

I  am in a Beechcraft Baron G58. It has a small bug, the altitude setting knob is missing. I found out today that it is a known bug and that you can set the altitude with lctrl + page up/down. I tested it today and it seems to work. I flew to Des Moines, Iowa, yesterday. Next stop Albuquerque, New Mexico. Take note Bugs Bunny fans, which way should I turn at Albuquerque!MSFS2020 Luxor1.jpg

MSFS2020 Luxor.jpg

Albuquerque was a 2 hour flight so I went to Dodge instead, which was only a smidge more than an hour away.

I settled into a cruise at 25,000ft and started looking at ARMA 3 domination files trying to resolve some issues. after 15 minutes I thought I would check out Dodge city airport on google.

I should have known something was wrong right away, the ICAO for Dodge city airport is KDOD, which immediately meant Ken Dodd to me. Google showed no airport named KDOD, neither did skyvector. As I approached there were a lot of flickering red lights, It turns out these were wind generators, very tall wind generators. Amongst them was a bit of dirt, I turned on the approach assist, which showed me the approach. I practically stalled the plane for the shortest possible landing, still ran out of runway and squeezed between a tree and a house. Basically Dodge city airport is someones yard!!!

Things I have learnt, beware of low flying around red flashing lights on the ground in the dark and check all airports out before flying there!

MSFS2020 kdod.jpg

• Like 1

I still didnt fly to Albuquerque, I got out of Dodge using its regional airport, which is an uncontrolled runway and flew to Telluride (KTEX). This was not uneventful. First I use real time so it was still before dawn. Second it is a ski resort in the mountains at 9,000ft, the approach is rough when you fly through mountain air. Third there are mountain peaks all around, which brings me back to my first point, very low light. Luckily its a well lit runway.

I have been to Telluride and landed at this airport in a Cessna Caravan. Changes in temperature alter the load the plane can carry, because it was hot that day some of the bags had to be driven in by car as the plane could not carry them at that time. Telluride was a wild place, nick named "to hell you ride" it was popular with smugglers. Last anecdote, the only time I walked away from a ski slope was here. There was a double diamond run called Jaws. As I looked over the edge all I could see was a big mogul and the village far below. So I took off my skis and walked to another run that would not result in death.

I finished my delivery flight from Marseilles to San Francisco, 6,229 Nautical Miles (7,163 miles) and nearly 19 hours.

The TBM is a fantastic Turboprop aircraft and a joy to fly, high and low, fast and slow!

MSFS 2020 is excellent for simmers of all levels.

Here is my route. The hardest part is the 4 hour transatlantic leg, fuel was a worry.

TBM Delivery flight.jpg